Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #41
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Keep your head up! Posts like this remind us all that real people are on the other sides of our arguments about salary of fourth liners or Mark Jankowski.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #42
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Whoa! stay strong ,that is some seriously awful situations to go through.

I'm tearing up..having gone through hospitalizing my son with suicidal ideation recently , I can relate to your feelings.
One of the most amazing things he told a Dr. was one of his bright spots in life was watching Flames games with me. Man that just made me feel so good.
Thankfully his stay in hospital was short and his outlook on life is much better today.

Wow that took a serious effort to type out . Thank you for Sharing with us , and inspiring me to share as well .
I'm truly starting to understand the "Let's Talk" program and the importance of it.
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #43
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatLandFlamesFan View Post
I'm tearing up..having gone through hospitalizing my son with suicidal ideation recently , I can relate to your feelings
A close friend of mine recently confided that he was having those sorts of thoughts as well. If you don't mind me asking, at what point would they hospitalize someone for that and what does the care look like?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 12:12 AM   #44
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I feel for you my friend. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Having fought through and still continuing to battle through some personal battles myself (although they pale in comparison), life can really be difficult at times, so in that aspect I think I can relate a bit. What I've found is family is the most important thing in life and with there support and encouragement, sunnier days will come and it sounds like you have a great family. It's nice to see the CP community rally around you and help you in whatever way it can. Thank you for sharing, all the best.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #45
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
Keep your head up! Posts like this remind us all that real people are on the other sides of our arguments about salary of fourth liners or Mark Jankowski.
Except sureloss. He really is a computer.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #46
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to get into what's been wrong with my life in the last few months (let's just say it's ####ed), Flames making the playoffs and looking like a team with a future cheers me up when I'm down.

Escapism FTW. Go Flames Go

Last edited by Itse; 04-06-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 06:59 AM   #47
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
A close friend of mine recently confided that he was having those sorts of thoughts as well. If you don't mind me asking, at what point would they hospitalize someone for that and what does the care look like?
I don't honestly know , we had a bit of an escalation with my son and we pushed things ahead quickly.
Care wasn't great Prince Albert Sask is short on psychologists but getting him under closer watch in a safe place was our first concern.

That your friend is talking to you about it is huge , we started with a walk in at our local mental health facility. My son found he felt more comfortable talking to someone there .
There are professionals there that are better suited to guide them than me

hope that helps
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 07:07 AM   #48
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm sure it took a lot of courage to talk about on a public forum and it hope it made you feel a little better. Sometimes it's a really good thing to let some weight off your shoulders.

All the best to you and your family! I hope you and your daughter will be able to enjoy many Flames games together. Hang in there!
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fanman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #49
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yep. It's a nice escape. That's why we all want so badly to see them do well and realize their potential, hence the passionate exchanges here. Have not the greatest relationship with my dad and unfortunately one of those situations where you feel you'll never live up to their standards. Makes it harder being swept under the crappy economic conditions lately while trying to branch out as a professional and young(ish) adult. But hockey is the one thing that brought us together and could allow for a break from the hard feelings and disconnect. A lot of the positive memories were associated with going to games growing up.

Hoping for a good run that provides that same relief and positivity that others need in their lives too.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #50
YYC-Solo
Draft Pick

Hey Golden,

Thank you for the post. It really struck home with me as our daughter who just turned 3 had went through the exact same thing in January. For a month or so we noticed behavioral changes, drinking/peeing increases (especially at night), and fairly large weight loss. I mean her collar bones and ribs were protruding quite significantly. We ended up eventually in the ACH emerg before it got really bad (keytosis) thankfully. The diagnosis of T1D and tears followed.

So it has now been about three months living as parents who are also our daughters pancreas, and it has had its rough spots but everyone has adjusted so well. Seeing her be healthy and happy like a 3 year old should, gained all her weight back... its worth it. And the ACH has been amazing through it all, isn't that place just the best. All of this just warms my heart.

I regular CP daily and love reading all things Flames here. the positivity in threads is amazing during the last few months and the playoff push. Being a STH with the flames, I decided to take her to one of the games about a month ago. Being she cant eat anything from the Dome without a shot of insulin, I knew it was going to be a big feat for both of us. Monitoring her glucose levels at a big event away from home... might not seem like much but it was a huge deal for us. But once we got there, in her little flames jersey, with her maliciously portioned 2 cups of popcorn and crystal light water, everything seemed normal again.

Life only gives you what you and your family can handle. I know this and you and your daughter will own T1D. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat about being a parent of a T1 Diabetic, as it seems our lives are very similar at the moment.

And now we have some playoff hockey to look forward to, so Go Flames Go! Can't wait to see who we match up against in the first round.

Last edited by KevanGuy; 04-06-2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: A
YYC-Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #51
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry for your losses and I hope your daughter is feeling healthy and can live a fulfilling life. Thanks for sharing and glad to see CP has helped you along the way.

GO FLAMES GO!!!
Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's pretty rough, man. If it's any comfort at all, I know a few people with kids that have the same JD and, while it's never easy, it does become something that's manageable in that it doesn't take over your life like it seems to at first. Not much consolation at this point.

Hopefully you've just endured all the rough stuff you are going to for a long long time and things will settle into what they should be.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #53
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

My condolences for your losses, and best wishes for your daughter and the associated hardship.

That is some tough times, and I think it's just absolutely great that you can find a release (a healthy release, mind you) in hockey and the CP forum.

Be honest with yourself too. If things get to be too much, seek help. I truly think the strongest people are the ones who can recognize that they need a helping hand when things simply become too much.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #54
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're cheering for you, Stay Golden. Don't forget to look after yourself, too.

Spoiler!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #55
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Life throws some big curve balls and now I am ready for some Flames playoffs!

Threads like this remind me that despite all the negativity, bickering, and arguing that goes on here that CP is still a really strong community that is capable of providing support, comfort, and help.

All the best to you man and here's hoping that the bad news stops coming in. Great to see that you're handling a really tough situation with such a positive outlook.

Although hockey is just a game, I too use it as therapy and a distraction to escape some of life's hardships. Here hoping for a long playoff run.

Go Flames go!

Last edited by bax; 04-06-2017 at 10:35 AM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #56
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having reflected on my own challenging circumstances in recent times, I've come to the conclusion that life is like a Monopoly game; No matter how sound your strategy, or how skillfully you try to play, you still can't control the throw of the dice.

There's a certain quiet relief that comes from that. Posts like the original, and the many follow-up disclosures, remind me that we all do the best we can and, when it comes right down to it, it's the basic things of health, family, safety and simple pleasures that matter. I join in wishing Golden, and all the rest of you, the very best as you keep playing the game of life.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #57
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Hang in there Stay Golden. Life hasn't been nice too me either since the all-star break. Not as bad as what you've been going through, but I can definitely relate to being stuck in tough times. I hope for all the best with your family.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #58
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to hear that man. Hope things get better for you and your family

I also would like to thank ACH. My son turned one on March 5th. He was admitted to the hospital on March 6th. He started walking at 10 months but around his birthday, he wouldn't walk anymore and only crawled. But when he crawled, he was dragging his left foot. So my wife took him to the doctors who told her to go to the ACH.

They took his blood, did an ultra sound and even an x-ray but couldn't find anything wrong. They finally did an MRI on March 7th and we found out my baby had an infected femur. He was at the hospital for a week being hooked up to IV. The care we got was fantastic. Love the staff there.

He's been on oral anitbiotics for a month after being discharged. He had blood work on Tuesday and we are waiting on results but hopefully the infection is gone. He is walking, smiling and just happy again so we are confident he's out of the woods.
albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #59
azzarish
First Line Centre

Exp:

My heartfelt condolences for your losses Stay Golden.

Life is a test. It can really drench you at times. One thing I do know is that it goes by so quickly and you have to really cherish and take in every single minute of it. Like many of said watching sports and cheering for your team is a great form of escapism from daily struggles.

I hope your daughter is healthy and doing well. I wish you all the best my friend.
azzarish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #60
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

During a lengthy stay in the NICU with one of our kids, looking around it became pretty obvious to me that as bad as things can get there is almost always someone dealing with worse at any given moment.

Almost 6 years later you would never know our child had ever been sick.

There is a quote probably incorrectly attributed to Winston Churchill worth noting (regardless of who it is that originally said it) - "If you're going through hell, keep going..."

There's a kind of awful country song that adds to the end of that "you might get out before the devil even knows you're there..." I don't recommend the song but the lyrics are worth a read:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rodne...roughhell.html

Hope you are now due for a run of good luck since you and your family have certainly taken more than your fair share of bad all at once.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:

Tags
ach , challenges , playoffs. , rip beccy pearl , tragedy