Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #201
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
A group that's called the Islamic State isn't Islamic? OK.

I believe your intentions are to protect the vast majority of Muslims who aren't extremists from being painted as such, but being delusional isn't all that helpful.

I think most people in society can handle the nuance that a small minority of Muslims interpret their religion in a violent way but it's not representative of the population as a whole. Not all Muslims are IS members but all IS members are Muslims.

Are you kidding? How can you claim isis is islamic. Then say right after that they have a violent interpretation of the religion. Its either they are islamic..or they arent islamic. If you think isis are the embodiment of islamic principles, come out and say that. Dont keep repeating the same stupid bs. "They are called the islamic state" are you telling me they arent islamic?

The federal reserve is called the federal reserve. It isnt federally owned nor is it a reserve of any kind. Welcome to the world. The nazis were given a blessing by the catholic church. Was nazism christian? They wore belts that said god is on our side.

If they, isis, are islamic...they have the correct interpretation of their religion...then you are saying 99.9 percent of muslims are wrong and isis is islamic. Well so is nail yakupov. Why hasnt he terrorized the nhl? Same with nazim kadri.

Someone with a violent interpretation of something isnt representative of anything.

By calling isis islamic you are giving them legitimacy.

Obama who may have known a bit more than you do on this topic said

"We are not at war with Islam. We are at war with people who have perverted Islam ... They try to portray themselves as religious leaders, holy warriors in defense of Islam. We must never accept the premise that they put forward because it is a lie. Nor should we grant these terrorists the religious legitimacy that they seek. They are not religious leaders. They are terrorists."

Saying isis is islam shows someone doesnt know their terminology. Saying isis is islamic shows someone doesnt know much about isis or islamic values and principles.

Last edited by Crumpy-Gunt; 10-03-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #202
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy-Gunt View Post
Are you kidding? How can you claim isis is islamic. Then say right after that they have a violent interpretation of the religion.

If they are islamic...they have the correct interpretation of their religion.

Someone with a violent interpretation of something isnt representative of anything.

By calling isis islamic you are giving them legitimacy.

Obama who may have known a bit more than you do on this topic said

"We are not at war with Islam. We are at war with people who have perverted Islam ... They try to portray themselves as religious leaders, holy warriors in defense of Islam. We must never accept the premise that they put forward because it is a lie. Nor should we grant these terrorists the religious legitimacy that they seek. They are not religious leaders. They are terrorists."

Saying isis is islam shows someone doesnt know their terminology. Saying isis is islamic shows someone doesnt know much about isis or islamic values and principles.
Where your thought experiment fails is that ISIS is living a version of Islam that is perfectly on par with whats written in the Quran and the way that Muhammad lived his life and is described in various Hadiths.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #203
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Where your thought experiment fails is that ISIS is living a version of Islam that is perfectly on par with whats written in the Quran and the way that Muhammad lived his life and is described in various Hadiths.
Great. There we go. Weve just given a terrorist group not only religious legitimacy but exclusive religious legitimacy. Meaning isis and wahhabi extremist muslims are the only correct followers of islam according to the quran and hadith. Thanks for the lesson. You clearly know more than any muslim religious scholars, almost all of whom have condemned isis with the harshest wording possible.

People like you must be too small minded to see that this is the opposite of what we should do.

Also if thats what you believe, no wonder you are a #### scared alarmist who lives in perpetual fear of muslims and terrorism.

I can tell you as an arabic speaking person whos lived in Muslim countries. You are wrong. Isis isnt perfectly on par with islam. If it was...all muslims would be wahhabi isis members.

You know there are devout muslims who give their lives every day fighting isis right? What you are saying to them is that they arent the real muslims. The terrorists are the real muslims.

And howcome none of you want to touch on the mixing of politics with religion? Why are we putting horse blinders on when it comes to the lack of secularism in the middle east. The presence of fossil fuels. The nearly 100 years of western meddling. Surely these have contributed to this extremist political movement of so called muslims.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crumpy-Gunt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #204
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Oh the expert on Islam chimes in again. How long have you studied the historiography? You're an expert on the Quran are you? Or is everything you claim some regurgitation of Sam Harris?

Which sources have you critically checked about this?
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #205
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just received a very nice follow up letter from the Edmonton Police saying they had forwarded my email to the chief of police. I had no idea there was even an outlet for people to give encouraging words until MBates gave that link, so thanks for that.

If people feel the way I do that Police are underappreciated even after they stop Islamic extremists I would encourage you to email the EPS as well.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #206
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Oh the expert on Islam chimes in again. How long have you studied the historiography? You're an expert on the Quran are you? Or is everything you claim some regurgitation of Sam Harris?

Which sources have you critically checked about this?
Wow. Talk about shooting the messenger. You're mad because I'm citing Pew Poll results that are readily available? Google it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #207
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=248_1506911803

Ten minute audio from police scanners of the U-Haul chase.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #208
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you compare those results to though?

For example US Muslims are more tolerant of homosexuality than evangelical Christians

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/fivethir...ing-views/amp/

So I think you need to be carful in comparing a Muslim from Pakistan with a while liberal from Toronto. Are Muslims more or less tolerant than Christians in Uganda might be a more fair comparison. And then the next question would be what do you do with that info.

It always disappoints me that the pew numbers don't have Christian countries and denominations alongside them to provide some context for comparison.

Is just as bad as Christians a compelling arguement? Probably not but when reviewing the pew survey context is certainly needed.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #209
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Wow. Talk about shooting the messenger. You're mad because I'm citing Pew Poll results that are readily available? Google it.
Lol. Nope not mad. You haven't cited any sources to back up your claim. You've just stated something and asked me to google it.

Ok you're a waste of time.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #210
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you guys all done yet?
Old 10-04-2017, 01:03 AM   #211
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Any real news? Do they know where this guy was radicalized? (ie in Edmonton at a mosque, outreach group, or internet?)
He was being deported from the United States by immigration officials in 2011 but before they could send him back to Somalia he arrived on our border and obtained refugee status.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...s-in-2011.html
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:32 AM   #212
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He was being deported from the United States by immigration officials in 2011 but before they could send him back to Somalia he arrived on our border and obtained refugee status.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...s-in-2011.html
Quote:
Sharif had no known criminal history at the time of his encounters with ICE,” the statement said.
He was being deported for immigration reasons. This is probably a quite common occurrence given our more liberal refugee process.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #213
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still baffled by the whole process by which you can be in the US, but as long as you live illegally and don't submit a refugee claim, you can then submit one in Canada by sneaking across the border. As if you were being persecuted in the USA and were fleeing anything but your upcoming deportation. I get it is part of the UN convention on Refugees but jeez, still an absolute joke.

At least now people can see the tangible cost of these policies and the real impact they can have, rather than just hypothesizing that this could be perpetrated by one.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #214
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. Nope not mad. You haven't cited any sources to back up your claim. You've just stated something and asked me to google it.

Ok you're a waste of time.
The polls he's referring to are readily available, although Resurrection may be putting his own spin on the results:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...und-the-world/

http://news.gallup.com/poll/157067/views-violence.aspx

There are definitely large amounts of muslims who support Sharia law and/or acts of violence against civilians.

I think the solution to this lame argument was summed up pretty well already in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
A group that's called the Islamic State isn't Islamic? OK.

I believe your intentions are to protect the vast majority of Muslims who aren't extremists from being painted as such, but being delusional isn't all that helpful.

I think most people in society can handle the nuance that a small minority of Muslims interpret their religion in a violent way but it's not representative of the population as a whole. Not all Muslims are IS members but all IS members are Muslims.
To paraphrase. There are Muslims that support terrorism and violence. That doesn't mean all Muslims do, and we shouldn't treat all Muslims as if they do.

Last edited by blankall; 10-04-2017 at 11:18 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #215
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
To paraphrase. There are Muslims that support terrorism and violence. That doesn't mean all Muslims do, and we shouldn't treat all Muslims as if they do.
I don't disagree nor do I suggest otherwise. Talk about lame arguments.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #216
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Are you guys all done yet?
Jesus Christ, now I am agreeing with an Oiler fan.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #217
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Thanks Trudeau.
Damn that Trudeau for letting this guy in four years before taking power!
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #218
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Damn that Trudeau for letting this guy in four years before taking power!
Well his continuation and expansion of said policies potentially may have let the next Edmonton terrorist in. We'll find out in 3 or 4 years time.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #219
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Well his continuation and expansion of said policies potentially may have let the next Edmonton terrorist in. We'll find out in 3 or 4 years time.
Is there a policy that can 100% guarantee we don't see a terrorist attack?
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #220
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just curious, have you ever watched Sam Harris in a debate on religion? He's had some of the best scholars tounge tied
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote