Old 01-26-2021, 10:39 PM   #281
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Well, there were a lot of factors.

The first was brutal, for sure

But in a 1 goal game, that 1 goal simply doesn’t happen if the refs have some grasp on physics. That dive should have been a Calgary PP. Not to mention the resulting momentum shift
I missed the dive.

It’s a first world whine for sure but just like I’m missing my own beer league am missing seeing the guys play live, or at least in front of fans.

Thankful we have hockey to watch however.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 10:39 PM   #282
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Treliving will get to pick another coach if Ward fails.

Just curious.. who does Treliving report to now after the passing of Ken King? Does that person actually have the authority to fire him or will it need to be an ownership decision.

To me, it seems like Treliving has a cushy job for life set-up.

Last edited by keenan87; 01-26-2021 at 10:46 PM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 10:40 PM   #283
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said it before, a million times, and I hate to have to continue saying it.

This is not a team of Children. We do not need a coach who is cutting his teeth in the League. We need a General who is going to rally his troops.

That was 'shades of Gulutzan.'

"Just keep rotating the lines....it will eventually work or I'll be fired!!"

Read. The. Scenario.

Adapt. Or Die.

I dont have a problem with Ward in particular, but your coach has to match your players. The margins in this game, especially this season, are razor thin. You cannot be the last reject from the Turnip Truck and expect to succeed.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 10:40 PM   #284
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
I think you are assuming that Ward is competent as a head coach. The difference between a competent head coach and an elite head coach may be small, but the difference between Ward and his counterparts seems quite large. There is a reason the guy hadn't been a head coach in 14 years. The little pro head coaching experience he did have was completely mediocre.

Trelieving has had three "I'm smarter than everyone" coaching hires. Just hire someone with a history of success.
26-17-5 as a head coach in the NHL.

Maybe not elite but far from mediocre.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:41 PM   #285
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
I think you are assuming that Ward is competent as a head coach. The difference between a competent head coach and an elite head coach may be small, but the difference between Ward and his counterparts seems quite large. There is a reason the guy hadn't been a head coach in 14 years. The little pro head coaching experience he did have was completely mediocre.

Trelieving has had three "I'm smarter than everyone" coaching hires. Just hire someone with a history of success.
I am “assuming “ Ward has a best players group that has, historically, not prevailed as being winners.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:44 PM   #286
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not overly upset by Muzzin's puck flip - poor sportsmanship, for sure but IIRC, didn't Tkachuk get a one game suspension for tapping a player on the back of the leg as he was leaving the game after being ejected? I would say this is
of a similar nature but I doubt there will be supplemental discipline.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 10:44 PM   #287
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
It’s truly amazing how this place is after a couple losses in a row this early in the season.

I get the “we have seen this before” mentality, but we haven’t seen this flames team before. They finally have a very dependable goalie and that’s a game changer.

Johnny and Monahan are showing flashes of form from two years ago. Be excited about that.

The calls for coaches head and deep depressions people are going thru right now just confuses me more than anything.

It’s been five games and two one goal losses to the odds on favorite to win the division. I would suggest pumping the brakes but people can obviously vent/do as they see fit.
See that’s just it though...you’re basically saying we shouldn’t be upset losing back to back games to the same team because they’re favourites to win the division. WE want to be the favourites for once. Screw this perpetual mediocrity. It should be about winning the Stanley Cup. This core doesn’t have it, so as long as we hold onto them, we’ll continue to be just average.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 10:47 PM   #288
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Right now the Flames are struggling to put together the full 60, where they tonight played their 5th game to other teams’ 8th

I have patience, like some of what I have seen, and understand some things we saw that are unlikeable

Toronto just got one fluke win and a second ugly one

I used to hate the Leafs mainly because of Toronto media and now watching them I understand that it’s actually not just the media

Come playoffs. Calgary can be their Boston in game 7
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:49 PM   #289
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
See that’s just it though...you’re basically saying we shouldn’t be upset losing back to back games to the same team because they’re favourites to win the division. WE want to be the favourites for once. Screw this perpetual mediocrity. It should be about winning the Stanley Cup. This core doesn’t have it, so as long as we hold onto them, we’ll continue to be just average.
upset is fine...no point in jumping off a bridge with every close loss...they are 2-2-1 and lost 3 one goal games

honestly what are you expecting before next game? trade the entire roster and fire the coach?
Old 01-26-2021, 10:50 PM   #290
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Right now the Flames are struggling to put together the full 60, where they tonight played their 5th game to other teams’ 8th

I have patience, like some of what I have seen, and understand some things we saw that are unlikeable

Toronto just got one fluke win and a second ugly one

I used to hate the Leafs mainly because of Toronto media and now watching them I understand that it’s actually not just the media

Come playoffs. Calgary can be their Boston in game 7
nm
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:52 PM   #291
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
upset is fine...no point in jumping off a bridge with every close loss...they are 2-2-1 and lost 3 one goal games

honestly what are you expecting before next game? trade the entire roster and fire the coach?
Of course not, because that would be unrealistic. I’m saying the outrage is justified, as we’ve seen this movie before. We know exactly what this team is. It ain’t gonna change this season.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:53 PM   #292
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dreadful opening 20. Dumb coaching decision on the D pairing against Marner and Mathews cost them the game. (Why would you DO that?)

Vali definitely didn't have a great game...he needs a little more protected time yet.

But the flat opening just destroyed them and they chased the game from then on.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:54 PM   #293
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So after 5 games, two things are a little surprising:

Depth was supposed to be the team's strength but in fact, fourth line is hurting them
It was supposed to be difficult to sweep these back to backs

So basically even after five games, but have only beaten Vancouver and lost ground to TO and the Jets. Plenty of time for that to change.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:55 PM   #294
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

This may not be a popular opinion at this moment, but I feel that the Leafs are the best team in the division. They are stacked with talent, their D is a cohesive unit, and Anderson is a legit veteran starter.

Sucks not to get the points, but the Flames showed they can play well enough to dominate anyone in the division. I think they will put it together and when the do, they will be tough to beat.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:57 PM   #295
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I'm not overly upset by Muzzin's puck flip - poor sportsmanship, for sure but IIRC, didn't Tkachuk get a one game suspension for tapping a player on the back of the leg as he was leaving the game after being ejected? I would say this is
of a similar nature but I doubt there will be supplemental discipline.
That was in 2017 vs Detroit. That was being a pest but at least it was between the 60mins of the game. I'd have very little problem if Muzzin was man enough to do that in the game itself. Muzzin knew after the 60 mins are done not much recourse happens as refs and lines man jump in immediately. It's a ##### move.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 01-26-2021 at 11:02 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 10:59 PM   #296
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So after 5 games, two things are a little surprising:

Depth was supposed to be the team's strength but in fact, fourth line is hurting them
It was supposed to be difficult to sweep these back to backs

So basically even after five games, but have only beaten Vancouver and lost ground to TO and the Jets. Plenty of time for that to change.

Well, depth was a strength if you bought that Leivo and Simon were top 6 and middle 9 wingers, making it easy to move Lindholm to C

These guys are a bubble player and a guy who played okay with Crosby, which is pretty much an irrelevant basis for comparison anywhere else

And rolling 4 lines is and always has been a fantasy. You never have all 12 forwards rolling. That is part of what coaches do. Panic, use the blender, and shorten the bench

Still plenty of games vs Edm, Van, Wpg, Ott plus a test against Mtl

Nothing to worry about based on two crappy games against Tor
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 11:05 PM   #297
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dube is huge for slotting the lines
Old 01-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #298
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Dube is huge for slotting the lines
Absolutely.

Depth is because of internal growth, not the signings of bubble / serviceable but unspectacular wingers who hit FA
Old 01-26-2021, 11:13 PM   #299
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I don't think Treliving will get to pick another coach if Ward fails.

Just curious.. who does Treliving report to now after the passing of Ken King? Does that person actually have the authority to fire him or will it need to be an ownership decision.

To me, it seems like Treliving has a cushy job for life set-up.
John Bean
As it has been for a while
And he would have the authority but I suspect like many organizations if he were to fire a senior executive he would discuss and align with his owners first.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 11:14 PM   #300
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

My takeaways from tonight:

- some people let Blaster get under their skin way, way too easily. If you think he’s a troll, you don’t know what a troll is. A troll would eat you alive if that’s the case. Might even say he’s living rent free in some of your heads.

- considering chucky is a pest, who does some very rat-like things, some here seem to genuinely have a hard time when it goes the other direction

- if the flames showed as much emotion in the 1st as CP in a PGT, we’d have won tonight

- these extended home stands are excellent for rivalries. The hate is flowing freely. I’m just worried some of my fellow CPers are gonna crack if we lose 2 or 3 in a row to the wrong team (the Edmonton Oilers come to mind)

- most of these takeaways are not hockey related, I’m mostly here for the social experiment and poop flinging

- I agree with that other guy who said it would fun if we had this divisional alignment every second year, as impossible as it would be. No inter conference or divisional play helps too.

- I watched the Cuthbert broadcast instead of Ball/Hrudey. They’re good but not Cuthbert good.

- I pay zero attention to other teams fans, and with the exception of ridiculing the Edmonton fanboys like staples, I don’t pay much attention to their media either. If anyone is upset by these things, you should like smoke a joint and relax or something. Or follow some sage advice from the Bryz.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: