Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-21-2022, 07:33 PM   #1741
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Thinking of hanging my TV on the wall, what's the best way to hide the cables? There's cable covers but that seems ghetto.

I was thinking of something like this but the non-power cables seem to just hang around inside the wall.. I guess that's fine as long as I get the properly rated cables?

Any other options? The other thing I was thinking is getting a new outlet put in behind the TV and then seeing if there was something similar to above but just for the other cables. It's an interior wall.
How good are you at drywall? Can cut a channel out and put pvc in wall, then repair drywall.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2022, 10:51 PM   #1742
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
i actually got a cheap HDMI 2.1 switch from Amazon for like $50 - works perfectly for my XSX and PS5, and I dont need to buy a new receiver now
Which one did you buy...I tried a couple a year or so ago and got poor results

thanks! been having similar issues
Old 12-22-2022, 01:00 PM   #1743
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm terrible at drywall, I don't think I've ever made a patch that I can't see. Though it will be behind the TV..
Old 12-22-2022, 03:26 PM   #1744
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thinking of hanging my TV on the wall, what's the best way to hide the cables? There's cable covers but that seems ghetto.

I was thinking of something like this but the non-power cables seem to just hang around inside the wall.. I guess that's fine as long as I get the properly rated cables?

Any other options? The other thing I was thinking is getting a new outlet put in behind the TV and then seeing if there was something similar to above but just for the other cables. It's an interior wall.
Well really the only things you're hooking up to the TV are power and HDMI (which are digital). I would do pretty much exactly the thing you posted, and probably wouldn't bother with a conduit myself. Just use a fish tape to get the cable from one hole to the other, and use a low voltage mounting bracket to hold the wall-plate on. Where I'd be concerned about running the cabling in the wall beside power is for analog signals like those carried through speaker cabling.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 12-22-2022 at 03:29 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 10:16 PM   #1745
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Which one did you buy...I tried a couple a year or so ago and got poor results

thanks! been having similar issues
Picked this one up - no issues for over a year so far

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2023, 08:18 PM   #1746
photon

Exp:

Man mounting a TV on a wall sure feels sketchy. I mean it isn't, 4 lag bolts directly into studs the mount would hold my extended family. But it FEELS sketchy.

But got it done with zero drama, hardest part was having to turn the adjustment to level it.

Also put in one of the in wall power things and that was easy too (got the one in the picture below). And I'm glad I did since there were switches on the wall the TV was going on, and after calculating the height of the TV and the mount it was right about where the cables could have been running, so I was a bit paranoid about drilling into a power cable.

So I cut the hole for the power box thing and then used my phone to look around inside the wall (which was a 2x6 wall apparently) and the power cables were about half way between where I was drilling and the floor so it all worked out perfect.

Now just need to get some HDMI 2.1 CL2/CL3 cables, I think I have exactly 1 HDMI 2.1 cable and it's not long enough. Been a long time since I've setup anything new.

Now to get some bias lighting, any recommendations?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 09:47 AM   #1747
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Man mounting a TV on a wall sure feels sketchy. I mean it isn't, 4 lag bolts directly into studs the mount would hold my extended family. But it FEELS sketchy.

But got it done with zero drama, hardest part was having to turn the adjustment to level it.

Also put in one of the in wall power things and that was easy too (got the one in the picture below). And I'm glad I did since there were switches on the wall the TV was going on, and after calculating the height of the TV and the mount it was right about where the cables could have been running, so I was a bit paranoid about drilling into a power cable.

So I cut the hole for the power box thing and then used my phone to look around inside the wall (which was a 2x6 wall apparently) and the power cables were about half way between where I was drilling and the floor so it all worked out perfect.

Now just need to get some HDMI 2.1 CL2/CL3 cables, I think I have exactly 1 HDMI 2.1 cable and it's not long enough. Been a long time since I've setup anything new.

Now to get some bias lighting, any recommendations?
Do you have a link for the box you used for the in-wall power? That looks sweet and would be much easier than relocating an outlet from the looks of it.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:11 AM   #1748
photon

Exp:

Sure this is the one: https://www.amazon.ca/PowerBridge-So...GQ4/ref=sr_1_2
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 05:00 PM   #1749
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Huh.....I have the opposite opinion. I'm pretty sure I could hang off of mine it feels so solid. What's sketchy to me is tv stand/shelf hybrid unit I bought to avoid putting holes in new walls as we may be showing our place soon. THAT think is sketchy AF

It's rated for far more then what my TV weighs but I don't even like walking quickly by it as it wobbles noticeably.

Wall mounting is they way to go IMO. Love the look, love the stability.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:05 PM   #1750
photon

Exp:

Oh for sure it physically feels as solid as could be. I guess I should have said it feels emotionally sketchy lol. Like I'm doing something wrong.

I got the bias lighting on and it all looks pretty good, really happy with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2023, 09:42 AM   #1751
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got the bias lighting on and it all looks pretty good, really happy with it.

OMG yes, that too. Man does lighting look awesome behind a wall mounted TV. Such an easy thing to do but it really has impact.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:56 AM   #1752
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

TVs are so light these days those lag bolts are major overkill...they were good for heavy plasmas...few screws into the stud is all you need these days
Old 09-03-2023, 09:18 AM   #1753
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Think it’s time to replace my home theatre receiver this fall, maybe on a Black Friday sale. My old Harmon Kardon AVR645 seems to have a rear channel out, so down to 6.1. I have a 7.1 in wall setup w/ max 135w front speakers and 100w max ceiling surround speakers.

Any must have features I should be looking for, and any that are a waste? Network enabled, 8k passthru, etc? It sits in a rack with all the other toys, so I’d send all video through the receiver to the projector. Tuning mic’s probably won’t work since the receiver is 60ft away from the theatre seating.

I have some BestBuy gift cards I could use. They seem to be mostly Denon and Onkyo. Any recommendations ?
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 01:29 PM   #1754
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Think it’s time to replace my home theatre receiver this fall, maybe on a Black Friday sale. My old Harmon Kardon AVR645 seems to have a rear channel out, so down to 6.1. I have a 7.1 in wall setup w/ max 135w front speakers and 100w max ceiling surround speakers.

Any must have features I should be looking for, and any that are a waste? Network enabled, 8k passthru, etc? It sits in a rack with all the other toys, so I’d send all video through the receiver to the projector. Tuning mic’s probably won’t work since the receiver is 60ft away from the theatre seating.

I have some BestBuy gift cards I could use. They seem to be mostly Denon and Onkyo. Any recommendations ?
everyone's use case will differ, but personally I have a very small but specific set of must haves:

- preamplifier outputs for front speakers (to allow active or externally amplified fronts) - avr amps are typically great for powering surrounds, but they're not too well-suited for true multichannel usage.

- hdmi 2.1 support (for 4K / 120fps / 4:4:4) - you need 40gbps inputs for this

beyond that, most "features" tend to be either useless or standard in everything on the market

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2023, 04:46 PM   #1755
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Any must have features I should be looking for, and any that are a waste? Network enabled, 8k passthru, etc? It sits in a rack with all the other toys, so I’d send all video through the receiver to the projector.
Generally those features would be found on just about any recent AVR. The new big-ticket features are probably full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 inputs to support 4K/120Hz/HDR for console gaming, many built-in amplifiers to support a high-end Dolby Atmos setup, more than 2 sub-woofer channels and built-in Dirac Live room correction software.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:54 AM   #1756
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are you all using for bookshelf speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 system? I don't want to go cheap but don't need top of the line either. Just good, capable speakers. What kind of price/speaker & brand would I be looking for?
Old 09-14-2023, 01:28 PM   #1757
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe something like this?
https://www.amazon.ca/Mission-LX-2-M...st_sto_dp&th=1

I have some wharfedale's but they seem to only go up in price these days.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 02:51 PM   #1758
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I have some wharfedale's but they seem to only go up in price these days.

Ha...what hasn't? Thanks for suggestion, I'll look into them. Looked at Wharfedale too, those may be a bit too pricey but will check em out. Any reason to stay away from Polk or Kef? My dad had a set of Polk Audi for his record players years back and always thought they sounded pretty good but they were used for Music.

Also....seems like a lot of purists snub their noses on dedicated center channels and suggest instead another bookshelf sitting upright for proper "sound orientation" What's everyones thoughts on that?

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 09-14-2023 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:55 AM   #1759
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are the smaller ones there for $299, which may also suit you. Not sure.

Centre channels will do most of the leg work for home theatre. The fronts are mostly for music. For 7.1 I'd get a good centre channel, or otherwise if the geometry fits an upright single speaker. Some people like matching their centre with the other speakers but I've never done that.

Nothing wrong with KEF if you find good prices. For Polk it might depend on the model, but there are good ones
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 01:01 PM   #1760
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Also....seems like a lot of purists snub their noses on dedicated center channels and suggest instead another bookshelf sitting upright for proper "sound orientation" What's everyones thoughts on that?
A lot of purists are nuts and spend $50k on speakers and thousands in specialized cabling, so don't read too much into that.

Are you building a 5.1/7.1 from scratch? Do you already have your Front Left and Front Right channels?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote