Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2023, 11:42 AM   #1
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Business Travel Tips

I got a new job about 10 months ago, I am traveling a fair bit, for the last 8 weeks it is one week home and one week gone.

This much business travel is new to me.

I'd love to hear some advice/hacks from seasoned business travelers.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:53 AM   #3
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
no longer a problem, but #### me the American Airlines app was a nightmare.

Quote:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:55 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
no longer a problem, but #### me the American Airlines app was a nightmare.
I meant it as a way to get out of travel!

But ya, that app was a major PITA until I figured out you had to get the other app first before the link would show up in the AA app.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:57 AM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I meant it as a way to get out of travel!

But ya, that app was a major PITA until I figured out you had to get the other app first before the link would show up in the AA app.
I focused all my efforts on swearing, thankfully it's not a problem anymore.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:58 AM   #6
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Make time to work out in the hotel gym. I try to go workout as soon as I get checked in, even if it's been a long travel day. Otherwise, I'll put my feet up, eat way to much room service and pass out. That catches up to you real quick.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 12:16 PM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got a new job about 10 months ago, I am traveling a fair bit, for the last 8 weeks it is one week home and one week gone.

I'm jealous, I miss my jet-set business traveling life so much. It was a great five years.

My tips:
- Don't be a rushed traveler, it will burn you out. I used to have my carry-on down to a science, my going through security was basically a Formula 1 pit-stop in efficiency and speed. Over time, I found I got more stressed if anyone/anything screwed up my process, so I started being far more chill about it. If I were to start traveling for business again, I'd be right back to checking a bag.
- After you get where you're going, take off your shoes and your socks, then walk around on the rug bare foot and make fists with your toes.
- Get acquainted with the hotel fitness center. If you had a routine at home, you do not want to let it slide just because you're on the road.
- Unless you are completely wiped to the point of not wanting to move your legs, don't do room service. I don't know to what destinations you're traveling, but one of the great things about business travel is that you get to check out new stuff and explore. Go to restaurants you've never heard of before. This makes the time pass a lot faster than if you're just sitting in the room eating an overpriced hotel cheeseburger and fries while watching YouTube.

For me, business travel was as much work as it was a miniature pleasure trip. Work during the day, and spend my evenings out and about.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:44 PM   #8
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Awesome to hear - good luck! Join Bonvoy, collect points, earn rewards and profit! Over time, you'll move up the different levels and start getting access to the Bonvoy lounge at each hotel which will get you free breakfast, free non-alcoholic drinks and hot appetizers at 6PM. For the points, you can use them for a lot of stuff beyond just free hotel stays. Each year, you'll get a reward too that you can choose from based on your status.

At my firm, they give us the option (for a schedule similar to yours) where instead of flying back for a week, you have the option to fly anywhere else that is equal distance and back to the work city or fly one person from your home city out to your work location for the weekend. The money for airfare is going to be spent anyways, so there's no loss to the employer. Look it up as maybe it's not something widely advertised.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 12:55 PM   #9
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to travel across western Canada for work probably 250+ days of the year, and I always brought my pillow from home, that's an absolute must.

If you get to book your own hotel I'd always pick a decent one with a variety of restaurant styles within walking distance. Nothing worse than being in a tiny town with only Tim's for breakfast, subway for lunch and BPs for dinner for 3 weeks straight. I'd rather make my own food sometimes and if I was driving to a small town I'd bring a small camping bbq.

I also had a 2nd bag always packed with some stuff for entertainment, it had a Nintendo switch, iPad, and a bunch of games / streaming services.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:05 PM   #10
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Minimum 10Mah USB battery, preferably 20000 with at least 2 USB ports one of which needs to be 2amp. You may need 3A these days for some tablets.
Definitely agreed on the workout thing - make it non optional for yourself to do SOMETHING at least even if it’s walking a distance to a restaurant.
Headphones that work with your laptop, phone, etc
Earplugs.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:37 PM   #11
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

• Noise cancelling headphones have made my air travel much less fatiguing.
  • Find a hotel, airline, and rental car program that aligns with your destinations and rack up the points. Getting the odd seat upgrade and free drinks makes things a bit more bearable.
  • Run all expenses through a reward credit card.
  • If you have a significant other, use your reward points on trips to make up for putting up with you being gone all the time. My Aventura points are taking us to Spain.
  • Get Nexus if you are travelling to US or international.
  • Avoid checking a bag if possible. Get airline status and you can get on in the first couple of boarding groups and not have to worry about overhead space.
  • Keep stuff organized - I have a little bag for cords and chargers, specific pockets for specific items that make readiness checking faster.
  • Eating out long term gets to be too much. I stop at a grocery store on the way to the hotel and get some salads and healthy snacks.
  • Don't be in a hurry to hop in your rental car and just go in a new city. Take time to get your hands free and nav set up so you aren't faffing about after you are underway.
  • I don't hit the gym, but I try to walk 5-10 km most evenings. I choose my hotels based on having a good area to walk.
  • The free breakfast at the hotel will almost always be trash. Grab the yogurt and fruit, find a better coffee on the way to the office.
  • Ask the folks you meet with for recommendations on things to do and places to eat.
  • Be organized and ready at security. Don't be nice to tourists, get your #### done.
  • Don't fly through YYZ or LGA if you can help it.

Last edited by InglewoodFan; 03-20-2023 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Fixed wall of text
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 03:13 PM   #12
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Inglewood fan nailed it.

I've been on the road 3-5 days a week for the last 20 years. Do precisely what he said.

All I can add is get to know the airports you fly through. I know YYC like the back of my hand, everything from quiet bathrooms to food to quick exits. I know what gate I'm flying out from so I park accordingly to cut down my time walking. Same with coming in; plan your exit.

Air Canada is a much, much better experience with status. So find an airline and stick with it to get points and rewards, preferably one (like Star Alliance) that allows lounge access etc once you hit a certain tier. Way easier to grab a free snack or coffee, and my kids love it when I take them on a family trip and they get unlimited free stuff in the lounges.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:26 PM   #13
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Awesome to hear - good luck! Join Bonvoy, collect points, earn rewards and profit! Over time, you'll move up the different levels and start getting access to the Bonvoy lounge at each hotel which will get you free breakfast, free non-alcoholic drinks and hot appetizers at 6PM. For the points, you can use them for a lot of stuff beyond just free hotel stays. Each year, you'll get a reward too that you can choose from based on your status.

At my firm, they give us the option (for a schedule similar to yours) where instead of flying back for a week, you have the option to fly anywhere else that is equal distance and back to the work city or fly one person from your home city out to your work location for the weekend. The money for airfare is going to be spent anyways, so there's no loss to the employer. Look it up as maybe it's not something widely advertised.
The best thing about Bonvoy is that there's so many different types of hotels and the hotels are available all over most cities so you rarely have to go out of your way to stay at one. And they're easy to redeem for vacation because their hotels are all over the world in the exact areas of each city you'd like to stay.

The other really good piece of advice I've seen so far is to get NEXUS. It's just awesome and for $50 over five years it's very valuable. You also get TSA Precheck and Global Entry as part of it. Each of those alone cost more than NEXUS if you're an American.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:35 PM   #14
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedog View Post
- after you get where you're going, take off your shoes and your socks, then walk around on the rug bare foot and make fists with your toes.

I see what you did there.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 04:10 PM   #15
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clip your toenails on the airplane. It's a great time saver since you're stuck doing nothing for a few hours anyway. Clip them into the seat pouch. You're a business traveler!

Spread your jacket out evenly in the overhead bin. You're a business traveler! You deserve the space.

A hot fish sandwich and two sleeves of arrowroots are your friend for those long flights. Don't have them on you though. Make sure you make everyone get up just before takeoff so you can get them out of the overhead bin. You're a business traveler! They appreciate the opportunity just to sit next to you.

Put your tablet volume on full blast. Your show is way better than what's on the entertainment system. You're a business traveler! Your rowmates are going to be so thankful you have something better to share.

Once the plane lands push your way forward in the aisle. Nobody minds if you jump ahead of them even though your row was behind. You're a business traveler, you have to act like it.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 04:37 PM   #16
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of good tips already.

I like to unpack as soon as I check in and hang shirts and pants in the bathroom, crank the shower on hot and steam them for 15 mins. No ironing. Obv depends on what you wear.

As much as possible I go out for every meal just to walk and get variety. Room service always felt like depression waiting to happen. Plus it is always cheaper and often healthier.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:24 PM   #17
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Great points pointed out here!

I also recommend maybe getting a CC that lets you access lounges to major airport terminals. I find it really helpful and refreshing just to get out of the big crowds to finish any business emails or any last minute business affairs to be completed before and after your flights. The lounges offer you good food, drinks and just a place to go before, in between and after flights. Premium CC also would let you in and a guest to those lounges when you’re travelling personally or for leisure.

My work has also given me the option to use my personal Aeroplan account when my work books my flights. Just like some others who mentioned it before , it gives you flight status when you’re travelling on leisure.
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 02:55 PM   #18
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

thanks some good ideas

Quote:
Old 03-23-2023, 05:28 PM   #19
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you get to expense items you forget/purchase while traveling?

Assuming they're not obviously personal purchases (don't do that) or tacking on a personal vacation sometime before, during or after the travel, then I'd advise to make use and take advantage of that concept. Another... facet might be to ensure you're paying personally and then company reimburses you for the costs so that you can get the points for the spending for you personally. As long as the concept of points and cash back is not built into the agreement with you and your employer as part of your compensation (it typically isn't) and the amount you receive isn't excessive, you're OK. In the same vein, setting up a personal account for hotels, car rentals etc. and registering your business stays/travel to get those status upgrades for personal travel is good too.

Toiletries, headset, stationary, computer accessories, batteries, lounge/wifi etc. If you forgot it or need something better or it's obvious it can improve productivity for work, expense it to the company. Don't save the company's money if you don't have to by inconveniencing yourself. Obviously don't go overboard, but the amount of times I've seen someone do something back breaking to save their company $50... Bro, your calls keep dropping. Pay for internet/wifi in your room. Don't sit in the lobby FFS. Especially if what you're talking about is confidential.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:25 PM   #20
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I travel lots. Over 150 hotel nights/year all across the country. Usually 10 away and 4 home. Inglewoodfan covered most of what I would add and others added some great advice as well.

As soon as I arrive at the hotel, I drop my bags off and go out for a walk. Being in a hotel alone without wife and kids is fun at first but gets tiresome quickly. I'm lucky to travel to various cities/towns so I try to explore as much as possible. I love trying new foods, discovering local brews, and seeing the sights and sounds of other cities. Even though you are out of town with work, be sure to still give yourself "me" time. Get a massage, so see a movie, visit a museum, etc.

Bring your own toiletries. A bottle of shampoo and body wash doesnt take much room in your suitcase and is far better than anything a hotel provides.

Speaking of a suitcase: invest in one with good wheels.

Get a portable powerbank too.

Nexus card, airline and hotel loyalty reward programs have all been mentioned and I'll second that they are amazing perks that should be taken advantage of. Free flight and room upgrades never get old. Many brands have dedicated phone lines for top tier members. Take advantage of it and use them to make life on the road easier.

Last but most important for me: Being on the road so much takes a big toll on your family as well so my best piece of advice is forget work once your walk back into your house and enjoy your time with those you love.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote