Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2022, 10:16 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default I asked Chatgpt to write stories for me

A appropriate introduction to a book of stories written by ChatGPT

Quote:
Welcome to "Disconnected Stories," a collection of short tales written by the talented author chatgtp. This book is a tapestry of diverse and captivating stories, each one unique and thought-provoking in its own way.
From heartwarming tales of friendship and love, to dark and mysterious stories of the unknown, this book has something for everyone. You will be transported to different times and places, and introduced to a cast of fascinating characters who will stay with you long after you turn the last page.
We hope you enjoy this journey through the imagination of chatgtp. Buckle up and get ready for a wild ride through the pages of "Disconnected Stories."

I thought it would be a fun experiment. For the first one I asked the AI to write a story about a Janitor caught in the middle of the Battle of Endor. The first time it wrote it, it was pretty cookie cutter and bland. Basically the Janitor dodged fire and made his escape. I asked it to try again and it was better this time the Character Joe who worked on the Imperial base in Endor got caught in the battle and eventually joined the Ewoks to defeat the storm troopers. I decided to try a third time to see what it came up with. in.

Spoiler!

The second one I asked it to write about a mechanic who stole a car and won the Indy 500. As I kept telling it to try again, the stories tended to get better. This is the second one

Spoiler!

The last story, I told the AI that it had to write about the Oilers missing the playoffs and Connor demanding a trade to the Rangers. This is the first story

Spoiler!

This one was better though

Spoiler!

I wish I could say I was drunk, but this is a story of a chicken getting sucked into a black hole

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 12-10-2022 at 10:27 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow

Can you write a story about the Winnipeg Jets winning the Stanley Cup, in overtime, of game 7, against the New York Rangers. The reffing was unfair for the Jets, but they overcame it

Spoiler!
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:51 PM   #3
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sports reporters are about to be out of jobs, methinks. Most or all authors too.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #4
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Wow

Can you write a story about the Winnipeg Jets winning the Stanley Cup, in overtime, of game 7, against the New York Rangers. The reffing was unfair for the Jets, but they overcame it

Spoiler!
So it works well for writing fiction
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #5
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Wow

Spoiler!
Fixed your post.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 05:57 PM   #6
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made some really dark ones about McDavid and Kane I don't think I can share lol.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:06 PM   #7
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The shame of Canada:
Spoiler!
Old 12-11-2022, 06:45 PM   #8
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol, I just happened to see a tweet that said everyone they knew in school is using ai to complete their homework.

I thought that sounded far fetched but maybe not
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:31 PM   #9
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Lol, I just happened to see a tweet that said everyone they knew in school is using ai to complete their homework.

I thought that sounded far fetched but maybe not
That was my first thought when I started hearing about these, I 100% would have used it for that
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:41 PM   #10
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Should have used this for seasons 7 and 8 of GoT. Or the Star Wars sequels. Or prequels for that matter. I wonder if James Gunn will use it to write the next phase of the DCU. Can’t get any worse than what they’ve produced using human writers.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 12:40 AM   #11
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've asked ChatGPT to write email responses for work for me. No one has said anything so far...
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:52 AM   #12
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, here is a possible email you could send to your wife to apologize for climaxing too soon during intercourse:

Dear [Wife's Name],

I wanted to reach out to you and to apologize for what happened during our last sexual encounter. I know that I climaxed too soon and that it was disappointing for both of us.

I want you to know that I am sorry and that I take full responsibility for my actions. I know that I need to work on my stamina and to improve my control, and I am committed to doing that.

I also want to let you know that I love you and that I value our relationship. I know that we both have different needs and desires, and I want to make sure that we are both satisfied and happy. Can we talk about this and come up with a plan to improve our sexual experiences together?

I am sorry for any hurt or frustration that I may have caused, and I hope that you can forgive me.

Love,
[Your Name]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 10:56 AM   #13
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

It's going to be a dream for those scenarios where you need to reply to an email but you're far too angry to do so in a professional manner.

I saw a really cool use case where somebody was using it to help a client who had brutal dyslexia that left his emails mostly incomprehensible. They rigged up a system whereby he could get his words down, and the bot would take it the rest of the way. Stuff like that will be incredibly helpful.

As for the original topic of the thread, a buddy of mine who has been pretty scared of all this has been using it to flesh out silly little short story ideas (mostly to see what it can and can't do). What's remarkable to me is that it's already funnier than most people. Can't yet touch the top 33%, but the bottom 66% who struggle with it can be lapped by this thing pretty quickly.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 11:27 AM   #14
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently it can do sarcasm
Old 12-12-2022, 11:31 AM   #15
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friend thinks this was offensive so... Removing

Last edited by White Out 403; 12-12-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:01 PM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Should have used this for seasons 7 and 8 of GoT. Or the Star Wars sequels. Or prequels for that matter. I wonder if James Gunn will use it to write the next phase of the DCU. Can’t get any worse than what they’ve produced using human writers.
I tried to get it to write a sequel to Star Wars, but it struggled, and even though I gave the Empire a new super weapon, the AI recreated the Death Star as the Death Moon

Story 1

Spoiler!

Like JJ it basically rewrote ANH

Old 12-12-2022, 01:45 PM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Write the opening of a science fiction novel

Spoiler!

Old 12-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #18
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is getting a little scary for people with regular jobs like content writing.. even accounting / law / coders with gpt 3.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:17 PM   #19
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
This is getting a little scary for people with regular jobs like content writing.. even accounting / law / coders with gpt 3.
Will ChatGPT make lawyers obsolete? (Hint: be afraid)
https://www.reuters.com/legal/transa...id-2022-12-09/

I don't think it will replace the majority of lawyers but it will start to remove tasks from Assistants and eventually make their jobs redundant. Smart lawyers will be using this already to take tasks off their plate.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 04:31 PM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I was chatting about that with my one of the people who I contract to today. I had to write a proposal to a client and I gave chatgpt the first strike at writing the intro and the key body parts and its a little wordy but it gave me a really good basis to go on.

With tools like this and copysmith AI, yeah I can see where content writing, and social media posting for businesses can be done by AI.