Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2023, 09:57 PM   #5081
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I enjoy superhero movies but the sheer quantity the past few years is overwhelming, particularly when they try to have connections where you're expected to watch them all or something in the next one won't make sense.
They're based on comic books. People need to embrace the not making sense. Dropping in and out of stories as you gain or lose interest, figuring out things through context, baffling contradictions, going back and exploring past stuff if you're really interested -- that's part of the fun.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 09:58 PM   #5082
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dun..._among_thieves

Quote:
An infectiously good-spirited comedy with a solid emotional core, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves offers fun fantasy and adventure even if you don't know your HP from your OP.
86%
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 10:47 PM   #5083
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
They're based on comic books. People need to embrace the not making sense. Dropping in and out of stories as you gain or lose interest, figuring out things through context, baffling contradictions, going back and exploring past stuff if you're really interested -- that's part of the fun.
It would be nice if they dialed back the stakes a little bit. The first Iron Man movie had a rather simply story and bad guy.

Now they are saving the billions of anonymous people in the multiverse. Hard to really care about that.

I can't even remember what the issue was in Ant Man 3. Some made up world that really made no sense?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 11:08 PM   #5084
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Need more one liners and corny jokes for 12 year olds like the MCU...
Might be the lesser of two evils, but it's better than forced jokes in films that take themselves way too seriously (DC).
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:42 AM   #5085
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
This part is true, the interconnected aspect of the movies/shows is definitely a direct pull from the comcis.

It is always neat to see the characters crossing over to each other's stories, or reasons why they couldn't.

Also good news for the DND movie. I'm interested to see if it gets review bombed or not from the fans given the recent open source turmoil. They have to understand that the success of this movie is good for all of the RPG genre.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:29 AM   #5086
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Hard disagree. Without a consistent system of rules and limitations for the characters and story to abide by, they can no longer do world-building, create tension or get the viewer engaged. Why pay attention to the plot at all if you know some dumb BS is coming that's going to wash everything away anyways? LOTR has extremely rigid systems, the consistency of these systems is a huge part of what makes the world feel real and engaging to the audience. Marvel used to be pretty good at this, or at least as good as they needed to be to engage their audience and have meaningful payoffs to the story. They knew where they could slip in the fun BS without it ruining the overall narrative.

I could go on all day about how my favorite comics are the ones where the author goes to great lengths to establish the rules of their story and sticking with them: Watchmen, Fables, Hunter X Hunter, Deathnote, Walking Dead, Invincible, The Boys, etc.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:51 PM   #5087
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I could go on all day about how my favorite comics are the ones where the author goes to great lengths to establish the rules of their story and sticking with them: Watchmen, Fables, Hunter X Hunter, Deathnote, Walking Dead, Invincible, The Boys, etc.
I understand where you are coming from -- but unless I'm mistaken, those are all or mostly completed, largely self contained stories. Completely understand why you would prefer that, but there's almost a different thing altogether compared to ongoing, serialized comics that have been largely running for 60+ years, and over 80 year in some cases.

Invincible is the bomb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 03-25-2023, 10:31 AM   #5088
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lady Gaga about to save superhero movies

https://twitter.com/user/status/1639619682389860352
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:32 AM   #5089
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Superhero movies need to be saved from endless iterations of Batman and Joker more than whatever she's saving them from.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2023, 12:43 PM   #5090
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marvel’s upcoming slate doesn’t really entire a ton of confidence either - Guardians will do fine because it’s pretty much big enough to be it’s own thing now, but is anyone really lining up to see The Marvels or Anthony Mackie Captain America or the Make-a-wish Avengers?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:33 PM   #5091
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Superhero movies need to be saved from endless iterations of Batman and Joker more than whatever she's saving them from.
Well unfortunately since Shazam 2 bombed I highly doubt WB will be green lighting many more movies of obscure characters. Hopefully Blue Beetle does better
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:51 PM   #5092
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Well unfortunately since Shazam 2 bombed I highly doubt WB will be green lighting many more movies of obscure characters. Hopefully Blue Beetle does better
See this is the problem. Blue Beetle needs to be good. That’s the important thing. Box office will follow. But instead what happens is crappy movies do well and studios then produce more garbage. Why would anyone cheer for a crap movie to make money just so that they can make more crap movies? Other than being a DC fanboy. Quantity shouldn’t be the goal, quality should.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:24 PM   #5093
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
DC has handled every character not from Batman as an obscure character, to the point they can barely even make Superman work. Superman. They've essentially turned their media brand into only Batman.

It's like telling people you consider yourself a foodie, and when asked what your favorite food is, you tell everyone it's eggs. Eggs are great. It's hard to mess them up, they're versatile, you can do a lot of different things with them. But there's more out there to explore than just eggs.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:45 PM   #5094
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Marvel’s upcoming slate doesn’t really entire a ton of confidence either - Guardians will do fine because it’s pretty much big enough to be it’s own thing now, but is anyone really lining up to see The Marvels or Anthony Mackie Captain America or the Make-a-wish Avengers?
Mackie is a fantastic supporting actor, but I really don't think he can carry a movie. I suspect the next Captain America movie will feel a lot like Black Panther 2, a bunch of side characters running around that you don't care about without any strong presence to pull them together
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 11:04 PM   #5095
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL. Batman is the only superhero movies they should make. It's 10000 times better than any of the crap the DCU and MCU outputs.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:56 AM   #5096
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Mackie is a fantastic supporting actor, but I really don't think he can carry a movie. I suspect the next Captain America movie will feel a lot like Black Panther 2, a bunch of side characters running around that you don't care about without any strong presence to pull them together
The TV show with him and Bucky was pretty boring. They need to do better than that for sure.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:27 AM   #5097
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
LOL. Batman is the only superhero movies they should make. It's 10000 times better than any of the crap the DCU and MCU outputs.
#######s like this are the problem. "Batman is the only worthwhile comic/comic book movie/superhero". I'd rather hundreds of mediocre projects that don't attract the knuckle draggers than a cool Batman movie that broadly appeals to #######s.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 03-26-2023 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:39 AM   #5098
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See, #######s like you are the problem. "Batman is the only worthwhile comic/comic book movie/superhero". Go find something else to spend your time on.
I guess they need to cater to simpletons with their one liners and funny distraction dances and 90% CGI shots... lol

They haven't even touched any of the great Batman storylines yet.

Cataclysm
Dark Knight Returns
No Mans Land
Death in the Family
Tower of Babel
Hush
Venom
Black Mirror
Untold Legend of Batman
Old 03-27-2023, 07:55 AM   #5099
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think DC shouldn't bother trying to make an interconnected universe. For the next decade or more they should just make live action Elseworlds movies. Red Son, Liberty Files, Kingdom Come, Gotham By Gaslight, Speeding Bullets, New Frontier, etc.

Though they've already been doing a bunch of these in their animated movies.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 11:27 AM   #5100
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I could care less if DC or the MCU have a specific plan. I'd just like to see good movies.

Shazam 2 was almost bound to fail. DC comes out and says they're rebooting...yet they've got two movies from the old DCEU that don't matter...but go see them anyways.

Overall, there's definitely fatigue in the genre and the weight of the built up lore is dragging the movies down. I've said it before, they just need to make good movies.

The next set of movies from the MCU and spiderverse look really uninspired. The Marvels and Captain America look awful. Kraven and Madame Web also look pretty awful. Similarly, Aquaman, Flash, and the Blue Beetle don't look especially interesting.

I have no problems with shared universes. There's no reason to make them so interconnected though. For example, Wanda's story doesn't need to cross so many tv shows and movies.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote