Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2023, 12:45 PM   #2421
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Posted in the Openings Closings and Developments thread but it looks like Rita's Sandwiches is closing. I walked past it for 10 years and only recently heard they have some of the best old school sandwiches in the city, especially for a downtown office worker. Quite a shame, these true mom and pops with decor from 30 years ago are a treasure. I'm definitely going this week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...icon_to_close/
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:45 PM   #2422
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Shameless plug here but if you haven't had a chance yet, my wife and I opened up an Odd Burger here in Calgary back in December had a thread here about it: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=190629

Would love to see you all check it out!

In short, we want to make plant based meals more accessible for all Calgarians and allowing everyone to indulge on truly healthier alternatives to fast food. We're super passionate about the cause, the mission and most importantly the product! For more details please visit: Odd Burger

Follow us on Instagram as well: https://www.instagram.com/plantgetenough.yyc

We launched a few in-store specials as well, Breakfast BacUn Mondays, Taco Tuesdays, Classic Burger Wednesdays, Famous Burger Thursdays...and we're launching a BOGO on UberEats for our Famous Burger this Thursday for a month and just launched a new limited time burger today, Crispy Famous.
Looked on your site and don't see nutrition information, is that available anywhere? I'm less concerned about vegan and more interested on if these burgers / meals are just as unhealthy calorie / sodium / sugar-wise as regular fast food...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:11 PM   #2423
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

YYC Food and Drink Expo starts up this week, 70 of calgarys best restaurants set a feature lunch or dinner or both menu for anywhere from 25-45$ per person, 3 course meals. Excellent chance to check out some of calgarys best. Goes from the 17 to the 26

Here are the participating restaurants and their menus

https://foodanddrinkexp.com/calgary/restaurants/
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 07:00 PM   #2424
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Just opened in West Hillhurst:

https://www.iyycburg.com/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:19 AM   #2425
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Looked on your site and don't see nutrition information, is that available anywhere? I'm less concerned about vegan and more interested on if these burgers / meals are just as unhealthy calorie / sodium / sugar-wise as regular fast food...
It's one of the most common questions we're asked, Corporate is working on this as we speak, earmarked to release this information on their website in Q2 of this year!

I will say that these are one of the "healthiest" fast food items you'll find on the market. The quotes are because it's still fast food at the end of the day. But the proteins we use are all manufactured in our own facilities, most items are 10 ingredients or less and minimally processed, so it's definitely a healthier alternative to traditional fast food.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 08:29 PM   #2426
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really wasn’t a fan of their wings but today both Buffalo Wild Wings closed doors today.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/cjay92/ca...dHYJVjk7VzaDkI
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:32 PM   #2427
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
I really wasn’t a fan of their wings but today both Buffalo Wild Wings closed doors today.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/cjay92/ca...dHYJVjk7VzaDkI
They must be going tits up. The staff had no idea. Showed up to work & got told the doors were closed as of today and that's that. Just rude. (an employee posted on the thread on Crackmacs FB page, that they had no notice)

Last edited by Minnie; 03-26-2023 at 08:35 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 10:23 AM   #2428
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
They must be going tits up. The staff had no idea. Showed up to work & got told the doors were closed as of today and that's that. Just rude. (an employee posted on the thread on Crackmacs FB page, that they had no notice)
Just following the trend of American companies giving up on Canada and leaving our market.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:37 AM   #2429
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wife and I tried them twice around when they came in and were left unimpressed both times, so not a huge surprise.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:34 PM   #2430
Crazy Flamer
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went to Luca last weekend. The scallop crudo was amazing and their brussel sprout salad was delicious. We ordered the lobster risotto for two as our entrée and unfortunately, it was incredibly salty. Too salty to eat. The lobster tail on top was even saltier. They sent it and remade it but the second batch was just as salty, so we had sent send it back a second time. Didn't bother re-ordering anything after that.

The service, however, was great. They did take the risotto off the bill and comped us some port. I think I'd give it another try in the future.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:57 PM   #2431
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Flamer View Post
Went to Luca last weekend. The scallop crudo was amazing and their brussel sprout salad was delicious. We ordered the lobster risotto for two as our entrée and unfortunately, it was incredibly salty. Too salty to eat. The lobster tail on top was even saltier. They sent it and remade it but the second batch was just as salty, so we had sent send it back a second time. Didn't bother re-ordering anything after that.

The service, however, was great. They did take the risotto off the bill and comped us some port. I think I'd give it another try in the future.
This is my experience with places that don't have fresh but have brined seafood.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:14 PM   #2432
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anywhere in Calgary have mochi donuts?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:09 PM   #2433
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife and I went to Major Tom's a couple of days ago. We no longer live in YYC so depend on one of my kids (big foodie and works at Lulu Bar) and my long- time associate (bookkeeper for my clients) to keep us "involved" in the food scene.

MT is expensive! But ... worthy of the outlay at the right moment. The special cocktails are incredible for flavour, nuance and creativity. The Baked Apple Pie Sour... oh my!

The Smoked Sturgeon Brandade was amazing (I make Brandade de Morue, but this was fine, smooth and outrageously flavourful). The other sides were excellent as well and the 32-oz Porterhouse split four ways was surprisingly good for a person who ALWAYS gets his steaks "blue". It wasn't - but was rare, and fantastic for smoothness, texture and flavour.

OK - for sure not a regular night out (that's for Marda Loop Brewing!) and a delight nonetheless. (No - I don't have money to burn, but on the other hand ... sometimes ...yah .. just do it!)

And the view is lovely. Sundown (Gordie Lightfoot passed away as we were there) ... marvellous.
Old 05-04-2023, 01:31 AM   #2434
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

MT is fantastic.
Old 05-04-2023, 10:53 AM   #2435
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think the food there is mediocre. Great views and cocktails though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 10:56 AM   #2436
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
My wife and I went to Major Tom's a couple of days ago. We no longer live in YYC so depend on one of my kids (big foodie and works at Lulu Bar) and my long- time associate (bookkeeper for my clients) to keep us "involved" in the food scene.

MT is expensive! But ... worthy of the outlay at the right moment. The special cocktails are incredible for flavour, nuance and creativity. The Baked Apple Pie Sour... oh my!

The Smoked Sturgeon Brandade was amazing (I make Brandade de Morue, but this was fine, smooth and outrageously flavourful). The other sides were excellent as well and the 32-oz Porterhouse split four ways was surprisingly good for a person who ALWAYS gets his steaks "blue". It wasn't - but was rare, and fantastic for smoothness, texture and flavour.

OK - for sure not a regular night out (that's for Marda Loop Brewing!) and a delight nonetheless. (No - I don't have money to burn, but on the other hand ... sometimes ...yah .. just do it!)

And the view is lovely. Sundown (Gordie Lightfoot passed away as we were there) ... marvellous.
I'm taking some clients there at the end of May. One is a Sr VP with a large multinational bank.

He really likes to dig deep into menus and isn't scared to spend "my" money.

I'm looking forward to it, I wouldn't purchases some of the things he will if it wasn't a work dinner.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:58 AM   #2437
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What's the best Patio in the North West? Looking for something sort of near Crowfoot/Bowness/Ranchlands/Dalhousie/Brentwood area. Trying to limit the driving for one of our friends.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:19 AM   #2438
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I'm taking some clients there at the end of May. One is a Sr VP with a large multinational bank.

He really likes to dig deep into menus and isn't scared to spend "my" money.

I'm looking forward to it, I wouldn't purchases some of the things he will if it wasn't a work dinner.
I've always enjoyed the food there, so not to take anything away from them, but there isn't really anything to "dig deep into" on the menu at Major Tom.

As far as spending "your" money there, besides the wagyu, there isn't much that can do a lot of damage... In fact, they don't offer many of the more expensive items that you'd normally find at a steakhouse (if you can call MT that), like seafood towers, caviar, etc. You'd likely be able to spend far more (if you wanted) at Hy's or Vintage...

It might sound crazy to some, but I think there's real value at MT when considering the overall package.

Last edited by you&me; 05-04-2023 at 11:24 AM.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:33 AM   #2439
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I've always enjoyed the food there, so not to take anything away from them, but there isn't really anything to "dig deep into" on the menu at Major Tom.

As far as spending "your" money there, besides the wagyu, there isn't much that can do a lot of damage... In fact, they don't offer many of the more expensive items that you'd normally find at a steakhouse (if you can call MT that), like seafood towers, caviar, etc. You'd likely be able to spend far more (if you wanted) at Hy's or Vintage...

It might sound crazy to some, but I think there's real value at MT when considering the overall package.
Yeah it's the wine list and cocktail list that really takes a beating when he and I go out.

For context in Montreal he and I dropped $900 on the two of us.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 11:36 AM   #2440
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
What's the best Patio in the North West? Looking for something sort of near Crowfoot/Bowness/Ranchlands/Dalhousie/Brentwood area. Trying to limit the driving for one of our friends.
Canadian Brewhouse University district top floor
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business