Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-09-2023, 10:30 AM   #2821
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Has anyone seen Metroid Prime Remastered at any stores? I prefer to buy physical copies rather than download but this game sold out fast and I haven’t seen any stores get any new shipments yet. I’ve been playing through all of the old Metroid games available on the switch online while waiting but I started the last one yesterday so I’m hoping the remaster is back in stock soon.
Fusion just dropped on NSO yesterday too so maybe that'll give you another week or two?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 10:49 AM   #2822
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Fusion just dropped on NSO yesterday too so maybe that'll give you another week or two?
Hadn’t seen that, thanks for the heads up!

The more I play these games the more I think this might actually be Nintendo’s best franchise. At least in terms of consistency
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:35 PM   #2823
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hadn’t seen that, thanks for the heads up!

The more I play these games the more I think this might actually be Nintendo’s best franchise. At least in terms of consistency
It has been remarkably consistent, with only one real 'dud' game in the main series (Other: M). Nintendo just gets weird with it and puts it on long breaks for some reason. There was 8 years between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime / Fusion, then we got like 5 Metroid game in 5 years there, then Other: M killed the franchise for a good seven years until the Metroid 2 remake on 3DS.

Now it seems like they've brought it back as a main series again, with Dread in 2021, Prime Remastered now, and Prime 4 somewhere on the soon-ish horizon (I'm hoping we see it sometime in 2024). There's also rumours MecurySteam is already working on the next 2D Metroid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 10:16 PM   #2824
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting new bundle?

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:58 PM   #2825
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Jesus Nintendo is cheap. One 6-year old flagship game, and two even older Wii U ports, and you can only choose one. Contrast that with Sony who gave you 20 of the best PS4 games when you bought a PS5 and subscribed to PS+
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:50 AM   #2826
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Jesus Nintendo is cheap. One 6-year old flagship game, and two even older Wii U ports, and you can only choose one. Contrast that with Sony who gave you 20 of the best PS4 games when you bought a PS5 and subscribed to PS+
Difference being all three of these Mario games are still selling lots of copies at full price, and you actually get to own the game outside of a subscription.

None of these companies are charities, right. The sales potential of everything in the PS + Collection was basically zero; all those games had already been permanently discounted, seen frequent sales to very low prices, or previously given away for free. If you hadn't paid for them by now, you weren't going to, so it's a better benefit for them to give them away and get people in the ecosystem to buy other games. With these Mario games, it's extremely likely anyone buying a Switch will pay $80 for Mario Kart at some point, so it's still a decent deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 08:14 PM   #2827
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Has anyone seen Metroid Prime Remastered at any stores? I prefer to buy physical copies rather than download but this game sold out fast and I haven’t seen any stores get any new shipments yet. I’ve been playing through all of the old Metroid games available on the switch online while waiting but I started the last one yesterday so I’m hoping the remaster is back in stock soon.
Amazon has them right now. Got an alert from Discord https://a.co/d/aVp7Aj6
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:35 PM   #2828
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Amazon has them right now. Got an alert from Discord https://a.co/d/aVp7Aj6
Thanks for the heads up but I must have missed it if they had them at regular price earlier. It retails at $50 but the only ones they have right now are from re-sellers starting at $83. It’s probably worth it at that price, but I can hold out a couple more weeks to get it at regular price.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:17 PM   #2829
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

London Drugs has all the Mario Switch games on for $54 right now... I picked up Mario Bros. U for my kids.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:24 PM   #2830
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
London Drugs has all the Mario Switch games on for $54 right now... I picked up Mario Bros. U for my kids.
https://www.nintendo.com/en-ca/whats...rio-day-sales/

Here's a breakdown of the games on sale and where for "Mar10".
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:00 PM   #2831
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of best buys in town have the disk copies of Metroid Prime back in stock if anyone has been looking. Picked up a copy this morning from the Shawnessy location. Times out perfectly since I just finished fusion yesterday.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:25 AM   #2832
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
A lot of best buys in town have the disk copies of Metroid Prime back in stock if anyone has been looking. Picked up a copy this morning from the Shawnessy location. Times out perfectly since I just finished fusion yesterday.
Embarrassed to admit that as a life long Nintendo fanboy I've never actually played a Metroid game for more than 30 minutes. Picked this up and my goal is to play through a handful of the series from NES, SNES, GC, Switch by the end of the year.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kcin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 09:39 AM   #2833
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Embarrassed to admit that as a life long Nintendo fanboy I've never actually played a Metroid game for more than 30 minutes. Picked this up and my goal is to play through a handful of the series from NES, SNES, GC, Switch by the end of the year.
Pro-tip, ignore the NES original. It hasn't aged all that well and unless you want to draw your own map, you're gonna be lost a lot. Play the GameBoy Advance remake instead, Metroid Zero Mission. Better graphics, controls, and an integrated map
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 11:08 AM   #2834
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
It has been remarkably consistent, with only one real 'dud' game in the main series (Other: M). Nintendo just gets weird with it and puts it on long breaks for some reason. There was 8 years between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime / Fusion, then we got like 5 Metroid game in 5 years there, then Other: M killed the franchise for a good seven years until the Metroid 2 remake on 3DS.

Now it seems like they've brought it back as a main series again, with Dread in 2021, Prime Remastered now, and Prime 4 somewhere on the soon-ish horizon (I'm hoping we see it sometime in 2024). There's also rumours MecurySteam is already working on the next 2D Metroid.
I'd definitely be okay with MercuryStream taking the helm of 2D Metroid for the foreseeable future as long as they keep improving their formula. The metroidvania space is a lot more crowded than when they first made their appearance in the Castlevania Lords of Shadow series.

I was playing through Dread again recently and the controls are just so good. They did a great job modernizing Metroid to be more approachable while keeping some of the exploration aspects intact. I just hope they improve the area diversity because I still have trouble keeping some of them distinct in my head. Artaria, Dairon, Ferenia and Hanubia are all too samesy for my liking.

The music in Dread is sadly the worst the series has seen. I was hoping repeated playthroughs would change my opinion like how eventually I came around on Prime 3's music, but it hasn't happened. Not only do most of the areas have no recognizable hook in the music (good minimal music has hooks or chord progression that catches your ear), they also don't seem to be mastered well. They sound flat and lifeless, and I can't fathom how that happened. The only song I can say I will always remember from this game is going to be Burenia, which is definitely the most interesting zone in the game to boot.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:21 PM   #2835
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Pro-tip, ignore the NES original. It hasn't aged all that well and unless you want to draw your own map, you're gonna be lost a lot. Play the GameBoy Advance remake instead, Metroid Zero Mission. Better graphics, controls, and an integrated map
Ya, Zero Mission is awesome, one of my favourites, and I grew up on NES Metroid. Finished it basically every way you can. Super Metroid is something special, though. Just a fantastic game from start to finish.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:55 PM   #2836
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
I'm not big on the old 2D games, to be honest. Even Super Metroid which everybody loves I've never got further than a couple hours in. Way too much "trial and error" type exploration in all of them which I find frustrating more than anything. Even Fusion which basically loves telling you where to go will purposely stonewall you with paths you have no idea or indication to advance from, only finding it when you shoot and bomb everything in every room. Just kind of lazy design.

I love the Prime games though, and found Dread to be totally fantastic (while not having any of the frustrations from the older games I mentioned above).

If you ask me, Dread and Prime Remastered are easily the two best games in the series.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:08 PM   #2837
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not big on the old 2D games, to be honest. Even Super Metroid which everybody loves I've never got further than a couple hours in. Way too much "trial and error" type exploration in all of them which I find frustrating more than anything. Even Fusion which basically loves telling you where to go will purposely stonewall you with paths you have no idea or indication to advance from, only finding it when you shoot and bomb everything in every room. Just kind of lazy design.

I love the Prime games though, and found Dread to be totally fantastic (while not having any of the frustrations from the older games I mentioned above).

If you ask me, Dread and Prime Remastered are easily the two best games in the series.
Oh wow, now we have to fight! I agree on Fusion, I don't get the love for that game. It lacks all the exploration and discovery of the previous ones. Part of the joy of Super Metroid was the discovery and exploration. If you want linear games where something lights up for what to do next, I can see not enjoying it. I find those dull.

I found Dread to be one of the worst games in the series. Forgettable similar music and locations, the sneaky aspect was done way better in Zero Mission, the bosses sucked, I dunno, most of it was not enjoyable. I have never had a desire to replay it. Prime is awesome though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:34 PM   #2838
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh wow, now we have to fight! I agree on Fusion, I don't get the love for that game. It lacks all the exploration and discovery of the previous ones. Part of the joy of Super Metroid was the discovery and exploration. If you want linear games where something lights up for what to do next, I can see not enjoying it. I find those dull.

I found Dread to be one of the worst games in the series. Forgettable similar music and locations, the sneaky aspect was done way better in Zero Mission, the bosses sucked, I dunno, most of it was not enjoyable. I have never had a desire to replay it. Prime is awesome though.
For me I've always loved the exploration aspects, I hate games that hold your hand too much, it's the more obtuse stuff that I find kind of lame. You'll say, okay I need to get to this room, but it's blocked so I'll head in a different direction, find some power-ups, maybe a new ability -- I'm having fun. Okay, I've explored everywhere I can possibly go now and can no longer progress so... time to start randomly shooting and bombing walls to find a path forward I guess -- not fun anymore. That's when I get disillusioned with them. I think maybe it was just a product of the times too, I've been playing Minish Cap on Switch too (which I beat back in the day) and find myself becoming bored with the obtuse fetch quests and event triggers in the overworld blocking progress.

I played through Dread back to back twice though (once on hard), just great gameplay and controls, well designed maps, and hard disagree on the boss fights as I thought that was maybe the best part of it!
Old 03-25-2023, 01:45 PM   #2839
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish they would bring Final Fantasy to the NES on switch. It would bring many childhood memories back to play through FF1 again.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:16 PM   #2840
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I wish they would bring Final Fantasy to the NES on switch. It would bring many childhood memories back to play through FF1 again.
They are, along with every other classic FF. Probably in a matter of weeks at this point, lol.

https://amp.square-enix-games.com/en...pixel-remaster
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: