Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2023, 03:56 AM   #261
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, Skylines is one of the true feelgood stories of gaming in the last decade, such a great game.

A reboot is welcome though, there's so much new content in the expansion packs that could probably fit more smoothly into the whole. The trailer highlights a lot of skyscrapers which could certainly use a boost, and the main promise outside of the trailer is a deeper living economy, which sounds like exactly the right kind of improvement, and also something explains a need for a new engine instead of just another DLC.

Now all I'll need is time to play it... and probably a gear upgrade...
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:32 AM   #262
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My biggest problem with this game was always my utter lack of creativity. My laptop won’t be able to handle this, maybe I’ll just play it on the Xbox. Never did try the first one on the Xbox yet.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:51 AM   #263
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
My biggest problem with this game was always my utter lack of creativity. My laptop won’t be able to handle this, maybe I’ll just play it on the Xbox. Never did try the first one on the Xbox yet.
Yeah, same.

But what I found is that you just have to think and start small and let the town grow. Imperfection gives it character.

I kept seeing screenshots of perfect mega cities, so I tried to create the perfect mega city from scratch and just got overwhelmed, then scrapped it. Started again, scrapped it, rinse and repeat. Then got turned off from the game.

Besides, every real city started off small at some point, right?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 01:35 PM   #264
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fantastic game, got a little turned off by the paradox DLC strategies though...which is too bad because I also love Stellaris and Europa Universalis.

I admit to nowadays I will often buy the base game and figure out if I love it or not, and if I do, I may venture into the high seas to play it with all the DLC. I know not all of the DLC is strictly necessary, but the business model bothers me.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:17 PM   #265
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Yeah, same.

But what I found is that you just have to think and start small and let the town grow. Imperfection gives it character.

I kept seeing screenshots of perfect mega cities, so I tried to create the perfect mega city from scratch and just got overwhelmed, then scrapped it. Started again, scrapped it, rinse and repeat. Then got turned off from the game.

Yeah, I did the same. Unlimited money and built out the utilities and major roads over all the tiles
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:38 PM   #266
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, same.

Very much this. When you create the city piece by piece with limited pre-planning, the city very naturally starts to look interesting over time.

It also helps a ton to pick a map that's got a ton of elevation differences and waterways.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 04:32 PM   #267
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Very much this. When you create the city piece by piece with limited pre-planning, the city very naturally starts to look interesting over time.

It also helps a ton to pick a map that's got a ton of elevation differences and waterways.
Yeah I build my cties one neighborhood at a time. I'm not very creative but the maps turn out more realistic, in my opinion, this way.

I'm hoping the new game has more economic factors that can affect your city. If they track the price of commodes like oil and timber it could change the way people behave and spend they money. More traffic when gas is cheap and bigger homes when times are booming.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:35 AM   #268
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm this close to just going out and buying a prebuilt PC because I am getting the itch to play again haha.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:20 PM   #269
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm this close to just going out and buying a prebuilt PC because I am getting the itch to play again haha.
Let me know what spec you end up getting and I might just copy you. Play it every now and then on my MacBook but it definitely gets limited.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 05:21 PM   #270
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

New trailer for Cites: Skylines II. Comes out Oct 24th.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2023, 09:50 PM   #271
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone ever play it on Xbox or Playstation? I have always wondered how it held up on consoles.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:58 AM   #272
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Did anyone ever play it on Xbox or Playstation? I have always wondered how it held up on consoles.
Good question, I couldn't imagine playing it without mods
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2023, 09:58 AM   #273
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2023, 12:26 AM   #274
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2023, 09:36 AM   #275
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only a few days away from release

Old 10-19-2023, 09:41 AM   #276
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should get some proper vids on youtube today as well, I believe the NDA/embargo/whatever on review copies expires (or maybe it was yesterday, can't remember)

Can't wait to see what it really looks like
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 10:07 AM   #277
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

City Skylines II looks like it will be released on Gamepass on day one on Oct 24th!

I signed up to Gamepass to try Starfield but its nice to get this on there. I wonder how the DLC model will work with Gamepass. Cities Skylines was heavy on DLC packs but I wonder if subscribing to gamepass will get you all new addons.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 10:15 AM   #278
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
City Skylines II looks like it will be released on Gamepass on day one on Oct 24th!

I signed up to Gamepass to try Starfield but its nice to get this on there. I wonder how the DLC model will work with Gamepass. Cities Skylines was heavy on DLC packs but I wonder if subscribing to gamepass will get you all new addons.
If it is anything like how DLC on non-MSGS games with Gamepass work, IE Control when it was on GP, you will need to purchase the DLC separately.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 11:26 AM   #279
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2023, 03:23 PM   #280
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man, I haven't even played Cities: Skylines the original yet. It's patiently waiting in my to be played bin on Steam.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote