Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-14-2023, 08:07 AM   #41
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I checked out the antique mall in Airdrie (Where On Earth) with my wife over the weekend. They have a few large booths with records. I never buy records but I enjoy browsing.

Click to enlarge images
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2023, 10:20 AM   #42
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9550011/v...tsell-cd-1987/

Vinyl Records now account for 71% of physical music sales, outselling CDs for the first time since 1987
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2023, 10:21 AM   #43
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I checked out the antique mall in Airdrie (Where On Earth) with my wife over the weekend. They have a few large booths with records. I never buy records but I enjoy browsing.
This reminded me that there are some record dealers in the Crossroads Flea/Farmer Market as well in Ogden.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:05 PM   #44
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This reminded me that there are some record dealers in the Crossroads Flea/Farmer Market as well in Ogden.
Crossroads really only has one guy who sells records now. Some of the other vendors have odds and ends in their treasures (junk).

The other antique mall off Blackfoot (Inside Avenue) has a a few vendors with larger selections of albums.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 02:31 PM   #45
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Thanks lads - looking mostly for some classic/prog rock from 70s, and actually recently getting into the greats of jazz past and present, and open to other albums with cool covers.

Appreciate all these tips you 2 provided!
I don't know much about records but value village in the N.E had some Fats Domino records for like $3/each, thought you might be interested.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 06:41 PM   #46
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

After a few years of not having my Rega Planar (on loan to a Calgary pal) I finally got it back, moved my entire system to the upstairs of my house where the listening is WAY better (I had a 24' ceiling downstairs which didn't really...help) I've been able to rediscover my old vinyl and have purchased a pile of new mostly classical and 70s rock albums, with a bit of jazz and world thrown in.

Naim Superuniti at the head end and Fidelity Acoustics at the other end. Love it!
Old 04-29-2023, 07:16 AM   #47
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Half of Vinyl Buyers in the US Don’t Have a Record Player, New Study Shows
https://consequence.net/2023/04/half...-player-study/

Raises hand in shame. I have about 20 vinyl albums and no way to play them.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:32 PM   #48
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tomorrow is the Vinyl show, hopefully they will have a few Laserdiscs there as well
Old 04-29-2023, 07:28 PM   #49
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://globalnews.ca/news/9550011/v...tsell-cd-1987/

Vinyl Records now account for 71% of physical music sales, outselling CDs for the first time since 1987

That's impressive, although I'm sure it helps that the current retail price on new vinyl albums is around $40-$50, compared to about $13-$15 for a CD. So of course vinyl is gonna be raking in more cash.

Vinyl is great, but it's an incredibly expensive hobby and I just can't afford it most of the time. I love that it's having this massive resurgence though.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:59 PM   #50
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
That's impressive, although I'm sure it helps that the current retail price on new vinyl albums is around $40-$50, compared to about $13-$15 for a CD. So of course vinyl is gonna be raking in more cash.

Vinyl is great, but it's an incredibly expensive hobby and I just can't afford it most of the time. I love that it's having this massive resurgence though.
While I was deeply into it when the "revival" happened a few years ago I find that I don't have the patience to dig through crates anymore and then it sits in the Kallax and doesn't get played for a year.

The prices also don't help and many people hit this wall and stop collecting.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:21 PM   #51
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My observations from the vinyl show today:

1) no one had Laserdiscs but everyone loved talking about it with me
2) VHS is crazy expensive now, I remember when they were like $1/each
Old 05-02-2023, 12:18 PM   #52
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
My observations from the vinyl show today:

1) no one had Laserdiscs but everyone loved talking about it with me
2) VHS is crazy expensive now, I remember when they were like $1/each
How about audio cassettes at the show?

I have an LD player but have passed up most LDs I come across as I don't need yet another thing that takes up room that I am collecting just because it is old. In any case, the first thing I need is a good CRT since my grandpa's blew a transformer.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:49 PM   #53
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How about audio cassettes at the show?

I have an LD player but have passed up most LDs I come across as I don't need yet another thing that takes up room that I am collecting just because it is old. In any case, the first thing I need is a good CRT since my grandpa's blew a transformer.
Found a bunch cassettes but didn't check on price. I need a LD player, still the best way to watch True Lies
Old 02-14-2024, 09:00 PM   #54
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Does anyone know or have come across any synthwave records locally in Calgary?

Most of them seem to be bandcamp exclusives and super rare expensive imports from the US. Records stores will have an electronic section but it's like Daft Punk, Air, Tycho, etc. and not synthwave - that retro 80s poppy sound.

I've dug around Meloydia, Recordland (exhausting), and Lukes but haven't really come across anything yet.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:38 PM   #55
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had a laserdisc player for ages, but only a few discs. They actually use the highest possible quality audio for playing cds, that were available around 2000, at least. That's the reason it's still on my desk. But then, I also still have a ghetto blaster (that I've jury rigged to use as my computer sound), so I'm probably completely out to lunch.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:59 PM   #56
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have three vinyls. A signed copy of Arkells' Michigan Left, Yes' Close to the Edge, and ELP's Brain Salad Surgery (which I framed because I love the artwork)
jerichozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:25 AM   #57
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I've had a laserdisc player for ages, but only a few discs. They actually use the highest possible quality audio for playing cds, that were available around 2000, at least. That's the reason it's still on my desk. But then, I also still have a ghetto blaster (that I've jury rigged to use as my computer sound), so I'm probably completely out to lunch.
I have about 30 Laserdisc but no player, they go for crazy amounts online. I just like the way they display, definitely the best physical media format for displaying movies ever.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:13 AM   #58
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I have about 30 Laserdisc but no player, they go for crazy amounts online. I just like the way they display, definitely the best physical media format for displaying movies ever.
I just hooked up my grandpa's laserdisc player. Quality isn't that much better than I remember of VHS. I only have one disc though, a Madonna Virgin Tour one.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:55 AM   #59
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you pay for music and make an event of putting it on (needle to record) it becomes a legitimately enriching experience. When music is blasted at you randomly for free, its just noise. Somewhere in the middle I spend money at bandcamp.com, but honestly that is more of a support thing for people that don't have physical media, or I think their music sucks enough I won't listen to it anyway but still want to support.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:17 PM   #60
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
When you pay for music and make an event of putting it on (needle to record) it becomes a legitimately enriching experience. When music is blasted at you randomly for free, its just noise. Somewhere in the middle I spend money at bandcamp.com, but honestly that is more of a support thing for people that don't have physical media, or I think their music sucks enough I won't listen to it anyway but still want to support.
Still using a cart/stylus I bought from the old Axe Music. I'm just recently getting back into the hobby again. Looks like some of the old record stores are still around and some others have changed.

Tags
music , records , vinyl