Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2022, 10:46 PM   #81
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahaha

Blue Jays AL ranking:

Batting avg - 1st
Slugging % - 1st
On base % - 1st
OPS - 1st
wRC+ - 1st
wOBA - 1st
Home runs - 3rd
Runs scored - 2nd

Fire the hitting coach??

lol

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 10-21-2022 at 10:51 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 10:55 PM   #82
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just read through the headlines, and the saw the Rangers hired Bruce Bochy just today; I wonder if he was plan a) for the Jays but when he decided on the Rangers, Bo Duke gets the 3 year deal to stay in Toronto.

Bochy would fit the "experienced and winning" criteria for a Jays veteran manager.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:20 PM   #83
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

nvm
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 11:11 AM   #84
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

In terms of team evaluation, just stop looking at the 2 game playoff and look at the whole season. The real issue to address is going to SP, and maybe a bullpen arm or two. And honestly, what I listed is probably the needs of almost any team that wants to complete. Jays are lucky that we don't need to fill any holes hitting, so they can be more aggressive with pitching.

Jays were plenty good enough to compete for the world series this year, but they just didn't have luck on their side. Do we honestly think that the Jays couldn't take the Phillies or Padres? Baseball postseason is largely luck, and the Jays were plenty good enough to make it the postseason which is really the only goal in baseball. Make the playoffs and hope.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:42 PM   #85
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, if the Jays can add a solid SP while making no other changes, I could see them pushing for a 100 win season next year with a more balanced schedule.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2022, 08:25 PM   #86
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think they're as good as we're making them out to be. Their bullpen can't hold a candle to any of the teams currently in there. Their hitting approach is elementary largely rather then adjusting to small ball when needed. I think they're close, but the last few months have taken them back a bit. Not sure if there's any one person to blame but I think some big names have to be brought in to change the culture and not have the weight on the same guys' shoulders.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 09:06 PM   #87
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Last few months? I think they played at a 100 win pace since Schneider took over. I don’t think any small ball things are holding them back.
Kasi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2022, 09:22 PM   #88
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Last few months? I think they played at a 100 win pace since Schneider took over. I don’t think any small ball things are holding them back.

Too many men left on base at opportune times. I don't have the stats to die on the hill but I really don't believe going in with the same lineup is worthwhile. I do 100% believe the bullpen needs a shift with everyone down. I'd maybe even include Romano there. Sounds ridiculous, but if you get another shut down guy, Romano as a set up would be perfect.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #89
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Too many men left on base at opportune times. I don't have the stats to die on the hill but I really don't believe going in with the same lineup is worthwhile. I do 100% believe the bullpen needs a shift with everyone down. I'd maybe even include Romano there. Sounds ridiculous, but if you get another shut down guy, Romano as a set up would be perfect.
Romano is an elite closer. You have to decide where to spend your money and while I agree with the broader point that the bullpen needs help, I wouldn't spend that money with a closer when you have Romano there.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 01:26 PM   #90
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some really weird takes in here IMO

Romano and the offense aren't problems that need to be fixed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 07:21 PM   #91
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I would agree. The perspective that the Jays were somehow not patient enough seems to be a bit pervasive. I don't see much merit to it. Obviously the stats listed by Roof-Daddy sheds some light on how well the team hits the baseball. Looking into a bit more...with RISP in scoring position I suppose the Jays could have been better, 8th in the majors team OPS with RISP, 2nd in the AL behind the Astros. I mean really, there just isn't a team hitting stat where the Jays aren't near the top. Behind in a game, top 3. Late/Close, top 3. So the more patient approach angle is something I just didn't see.

Offense is obviously down significantly in baseball, that is attributed to the attention on launch angle, emphasis on doubles and home runs, but it's also harder than ever to hit a baseball. Tons of pitchers throw 100 MPH, immense amounts of data for every player and what a pitcher can exploit, shifts, 4 outfielders, less emphasis on starters so players see different looks more ofter which means more relief guys that, again, throw really fast and have incredible sliders and change ups. Mostly every single team is striking out more, grounding out more and scoring less runs. Average league BA was the was the 5th lowest in MLB history! That is mind blowing. Something has to be done to improve this obviously.

I think in regards to a more patient approach is maybe due to a lot of attention is being put on Vladdy, where he had a .780 OPS this season with RISP, which is not great, it's not bad. He struggled with the bases loaded. A LOT of inning ending ground outs which definitely people focussed on a lot, rightly so and they're frustrating and has exposed a flaw in his approach. I guess I just see a 23 year old in the majors figuring things out, where some are expecting linear development.

I think there is definitely a lot of the factor of watching one team day in and day out and having not much of a reference point for how other teams are playing. We see the Jays, we see them with some ugly strike outs, but put far less attention on how other teams strike out, or hit the ball.

In regards to Romano I think he is fine as closer. I think it's best when he comes in for 3 outs. Asking 6 outs from him in the wild card game was a little much in my opinion. Building the bullpen with more guys that can strike out and maybe have fewer situations where he is needed would be better.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 10-23-2022 at 07:28 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 11:38 PM   #92
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Work to acquire an Ace, push everyone down one spot and we're a contender, imo.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 07:42 AM   #93
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think the priorities are as follows:

1) Bullpen arm that throws absolute gas, I think this is where they spend their big money this Offseason

2) CF that can play everyday because George needs to stay healthy, and he can't be playing CF to do that. Would be preferable if this guy was a Lefty bat

3) Starter, and it won't be an Ace, it'll be another mid-tier/reclamation guy since they already have so much money locked up in Gausman, Berrios, Ryu and Kikuchi
Old 10-24-2022, 08:23 AM   #94
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping they can sign Taylor Rogers. He had a rough year by his standards but has been a solid high leverage lefty with high K rates. Might get him at a bit of a bargain coming off a down season for him.

Also hoping for Rodon but I wonder if they'll have the money to go after a starter of that caliber.

I mean, the dream signing would be deGrom but obviously highly unlikely.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:42 PM   #95
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vladdy is the AL Gold Glove 1B!
https://twitter.com/user/status/1587553312865386497
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2022, 04:02 PM   #96
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

He had a great season on 1st. Much deserved!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #97
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Remember when he had to learn on the job so quickly after being shifted from 3rd. Pretty remarkable, really.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:33 AM   #98
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montoyo will be bench coach for White Sox
https://twitter.com/user/status/1588202582375366657
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:59 PM   #99
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp: