Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #101
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright how many pages and no mentions of The Locust?

Http://Www.Myspace.Com/Thelocust

Sooo good.

Local band: Olé
http://www.myspace.com/ole
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #102
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

nm, apparently I'm misinformed and out of touch

Last edited by Crispy's Critter; 03-01-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #103
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Alright how many pages and no mentions of The Locust?

Http://Www.Myspace.Com/Thelocust

Sooo good.

Local band: Olé
http://www.myspace.com/ole
I played a couple shows with the Locust but even more with Some Girls which has Justin from the Locust and Wes from American Nightmare/Give up the Ghost

btw if you like thrash and agree Anthrax is the king than listen to Municipal Waste which Anthrax themselves annoint as the heir apparent also they have Dave Witte as drummer who is the best drummer in the world...

Last edited by FlamingLonghorn; 03-01-2008 at 12:05 AM.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #104
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like a band in Winnipeg called Dreadnaut! Check out their new stuff on myspace!

http://www.myspace.com/dreadnaut
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #106
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnabdabber View Post
Some of my favies...

Sleep Terror - Some quirky death metal laced with jazz and funk.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendID=5102355
Awesome, I have a shirt of theirs.

Quote:
I should have a few shirts of theirs, but my 8-month-old order is still waiting due to van troubles of theirs. I'm excited for their new album.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #107
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

Yeah Im looking forward to the new Arsis album. Celebration of Guilt is still my favorite Arsis album, hopefully the new album is right up there too.
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #108
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah Im looking forward to the new Arsis album. Celebration of Guilt is still my favorite Arsis album, hopefully the new album is right up there too.
James Malone seems excited about it, so hopefully it turns out well.

And yes, A Celebration of Guilt is their best (and one of my all time favourites).
Old 03-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #109
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Black Tide - Shockwave

Siruis has been playing these guys quite a bit and i'm hooked. i don't think any of these guys are older than 20 yet they're bringing back the classic metal sound better than most bands who try who are in their 30's. their debut album comes out on March 18, but it's out online for those who know where to look. i'm grabbing it as i type this, and i've already pre-ordered on Amazon ($10, can't go wrong). can't wait
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #110
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe we're six pages into a thread full of Devin Townsend, Children of Bodom, Lamb of God, and DragonForce references and there hasn't been one mention of

SOILWORK

I have their whole catalogue, and 2007's "Sworn to a Great Divide" is the best thing since Natural Born Chaos (the most perfect black-metal album ever, imo. Any track on that album could have been the title track. What an epic!).

Sworn to a Great Divide is NOT like Stabbing the Drama. Stabbing the Drama was like a celebration of all their different sounds from the first album through Figure Number Five. Sworn to a Great Divide is them kicking everything up a notch.

Incidentally, Devin produced all the vocals with Strid in Van while the rest of the band was in Sweden recording and then sending mp3s.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #111
Shnabdabber

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I can't believe we're six pages into a thread full of Devin Townsend, Children of Bodom, Lamb of God, and DragonForce references and there hasn't been one mention of

SOILWORK

I have their whole catalogue, and 2007's "Sworn to a Great Divide" is the best thing since Natural Born Chaos (the most perfect black-metal album ever, imo. Any track on that album could have been the title track. What an epic!).

Sworn to a Great Divide is NOT like Stabbing the Drama. Stabbing the Drama was like a celebration of all their different sounds from the first album through Figure Number Five. Sworn to a Great Divide is them kicking everything up a notch.

Incidentally, Devin produced all the vocals with Strid in Van while the rest of the band was in Sweden recording and then sending mp3s.

I agree with you that Natural Born Chaos is a good listen, however I would be hesitant to place Soilwork in the black metal genre.
A buddy of mine is a huge Soilwork fan and he loves the new cd as well.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #112
Shnabdabber

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCook View Post
James Malone seems excited about it, so hopefully it turns out well.

And yes, A Celebration of Guilt is their best (and one of my all time favourites).

The new track put up on their myspace page sounds pretty good, however it'll take one hell of a solid album to top Celebration of Guilt. One can hope...
Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #113
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Black Tide - Shockwave

Siruis has been playing these guys quite a bit and i'm hooked. i don't think any of these guys are older than 20 yet they're bringing back the classic metal sound better than most bands who try who are in their 30's. their debut album comes out on March 18, but it's out online for those who know where to look. i'm grabbing it as i type this, and i've already pre-ordered on Amazon ($10, can't go wrong). can't wait
yea, I'm digging this song as well. Old school thrash sounding stuff is definitely way better (imo) than the whole commercialized growling thing. Kinda outgrew that about 15 years ago. Not to say it isn't good stuff, just that I'm old and can't take it for too long anymore I can only listen to Hard Attack for 15 or 20 minutes before I have to go back to Octane. Sad thing is I used to listen to stuff like Slayer, Kreator, Voivod etc for hours on end. Guess that old saying is true; If it's too loud (or growly) you're too old!

(man, to be 20 and have the world by the balls again )

Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #114
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy's Critter View Post
Avenged Sevenfold...Atreyu
They really aren't metal.

Metalcore is generally looked down upon, but I guess it doesn't really matter for this thread.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #115
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
The new track put up on their myspace page sounds pretty good, however it'll take one hell of a solid album to top Celebration of Guilt. One can hope...
No kidding.

Anybody looking for some metal with clean vocals, I highly recommend you check out:

Slough Feg
http://www.myspace.com/sloughfeg
Old 03-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #116
Shnabdabber

Exp:

Love this band... one of the few side projects out there that doesn't blow goats. Super funky music with an edge.

Infectious Grooves

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=295021443
Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #117
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCook View Post
They really aren't metal.

Metalcore is generally looked down upon, but I guess it doesn't really matter for this thread.
well then I guess I'm out of touch. In the old days metal was just anything hard. Then all of a sudden it became the big thing to have to classify everything in it's own sub category, something I've never cared for or done. To me anything based on fast,heavy guitar riffs is metal. Now all of a sudden it's only metal if it's incomprehensible growling/screaming. Apparently because I still like melody and technique over playing the same power chord as fast as you can over and over it means I have no taste in music. I still listen to the harder stuff as I said earlier, but the growling over top of the music really turns me off now. If most of these bands were instrumental bands I'd absolutely love them.
Guess I'm just a dinosaur

Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #118
Shnabdabber

Exp:

Quote:
well then I guess I'm out of touch. In the old days metal was just anything hard. Then all of a sudden it became the big thing to have to classify everything in it's own sub category, something I've never cared for or done. To me anything based on fast,heavy guitar riffs is metal. Now all of a sudden it's only metal if it's incomprehensible growling/screaming. Apparently because I still like melody and technique over playing the same power chord as fast as you can over and over it means I have no taste in music. I still listen to the harder stuff as I said earlier, but the growling over top of the music really turns me off now. If most of these bands were instrumental bands I'd absolutely love them.
Guess I'm just a dinosaur

*sigh* nm Honestly don't wanna touch this post with a ten foot pole cause the aspect of taste in metal and deciphering "real" metal is a topic beaten to death many times over.
To each their own I guess.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #119
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
well then I guess I'm out of touch. In the old days metal was just anything hard. Then all of a sudden it became the big thing to have to classify everything in it's own sub category, something I've never cared for or done. To me anything based on fast,heavy guitar riffs is metal. Now all of a sudden it's only metal if it's incomprehensible growling/screaming.

Apparently because I still like melody and technique over playing the same power chord as fast as you can over and over it means I have no taste in music.
Well thats not what I said.

First off, there are plenty of metal bands with melody, so thats a weird statement.

I didn't say you had no taste in music... so theres no need to put words in my mouth. Nor did I say that metal = incomprehensible growling/screaming.

Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold are just not considered metal.

Metalcore is basically the 'emo' equivalent of metal. That being said, there are some metalcore bands which are still considered 'metal', but those two specific bands aren't.

I'm not insulting them, or you, I'm just stating the general consensus.

And I agree, categorization is rather strange at times.

Last edited by AC; 03-01-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #120
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
*sigh* nm Honestly don't wanna touch this post with a ten foot pole cause the aspect of taste in metal and deciphering "real" metal is a topic beaten to death many times over.
To each their own I guess.
yea, I'm not trying to cause any big argument or anything, just stating that I've never gotten the whole sub class thing. I don't understand the need to do that, and I also don't understand why everything nowadays seems to be about "I'm better than you because I listen to this, I drive that, I eat this" etc. The whole 'real' metal thing is exactly like the 'real' Flames fan debate. Pointless, really, and pretty much just comes down to semantics. A lot of the times the distinction between these sub classes is so minimal it's really hard to draw a line and say one band is always this type of metal, and another band is always this other type. The lines get blurry at times, at least for me. For example, Dragonforce has been mentioned several times in this thread, and honestly I see no distinction between them and Avenged.
Essentially we're all pretty much fans of the same type of music, guess it just comes down to your preference, what appeals to you.
I just honestly don't make any distinction, even though I do see the differences obviously, but to me it's just all one big happy family