Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-07-2022, 07:45 PM   #41
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

You will want to follow the tweets to the threads for the full story, but interesting discussions on why we are seeing this happen.
Fabulous read. Thanks
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 07:51 PM   #42
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tested positive for Covid last Saturday for the first time. Honestly, it's the sickest I have been in my adult life and I had the flu 2 weeks before. 3x vaxed.

I felt totally fine in the morning, and I dropped my son off at baseball practice and while waiting for him in the car began to feel really uncomfortable and sore. He finished his first session, and we went for lunch. I started shivering uncontrollably in the mall. Dropped him back off for the afternoon practice and started to heat up. By the time I got home, I had a fever of 103 and stayed in bed for the next three days. My son developed symptoms 2 days later but never tested positive. He was back to normal the next day but he's already missed so much school and ball this fall already.

It was Friday before I could put in a full day's work and that left me exhausted and I am still testing positive 10 days later. I had no sore throat or cough. I wasn't even congested. Anything with mint now tastes like coconut. Toothpaste, gum all coconut. Anything citrusy tastes like sweat. So bizzare. Covid is no joke. Wife never caught it this time.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 08:00 PM   #43
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been sick 3x since May. I tested negative for Covid each time but the forst 2 times people I was in close contact with did test positive. I must have tested daily for a week during those times but never would test positive.

I am currently fighting off another cold that has been with me for a week. Felt pretty rough from Thursday-Sunday and today was much better.

Not being sick during the whole pandemic to getting it every other month has been a drag
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:44 PM   #44
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I have had lots of co-workers getting sick recently and have many stories from around town.

I wonder if this is actually one of the causes of the Flames' latest struggles and if there are several with illness in the locker room.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:15 PM   #45
Knut

Exp:

School has respiratory virus outbreak
Both teams I coach in hockey have rotating illness. Lots of teams running very low on players.
Three people at work recovering from colds.
Our house just got out of a stomach bug and mild respiratory virus.
Another bug was in the house Sept long weekend.

The bugs are feasting right Now. Lacked hosts for awhile.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:24 PM   #46
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Do you use the premade packets? I find that really help with getting over a cold, but have never get them preventatively.
Yes, the Neilmed sinus rinse packets. I think you get 200 of them plus the bottle at Costco for $24 or something along those lines.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:20 PM   #47
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I tested positive for Covid last Saturday for the first time. Honestly, it's the sickest I have been in my adult life and I had the flu 2 weeks before. 3x vaxed.

I felt totally fine in the morning, and I dropped my son off at baseball practice and while waiting for him in the car began to feel really uncomfortable and sore. He finished his first session, and we went for lunch. I started shivering uncontrollably in the mall. Dropped him back off for the afternoon practice and started to heat up. By the time I got home, I had a fever of 103 and stayed in bed for the next three days. My son developed symptoms 2 days later but never tested positive. He was back to normal the next day but he's already missed so much school and ball this fall already.

It was Friday before I could put in a full day's work and that left me exhausted and I am still testing positive 10 days later. I had no sore throat or cough. I wasn't even congested. Anything with mint now tastes like coconut. Toothpaste, gum all coconut. Anything citrusy tastes like sweat. So bizzare. Covid is no joke. Wife never caught it this time.
Yeah, covid is definitely no joke. A lot of people seem to just view it as the flu, but even mild cases seem to lead to long-term symptoms for many people and multiple infections seem to increase the chances of long-term symptoms.

This was a pretty interesting news segment on long-covid last week. One of the most worrying things brought up in it is how a UofT prof who researched long-SARS said that none of the people he researched who had long-term symptoms from that coronavirus ever regained their normal lives.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 07:33 AM   #48
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
One of the best ways to naturally boost your immune system is to take cold showers. For years I've watched colds and flu's ravage my household and every time I'd barely get sick. It sounds deranged to most, but for a daily investment of 1 minute and zero cost, nothing comes close.
I keep a rock in my pocket and I've never been attacked by a Lion. I'll sell you my rock for the right price
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 07:58 AM   #49
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone wants to look the wastewater testing is also logging RSV. You can view it here, note the Covid numbers are spiking in a big way, line is almost going vertical again.

https://covid-tracker.chi-csm.ca/
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 08:10 AM   #50
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
If anyone wants to look the wastewater testing is also logging RSV. You can view it here, note the Covid numbers are spiking in a big way, line is almost going vertical again.

Thanks. Interesting that most other places in Alberta seemed to have peaked end of October and are now dropping for Covid. Also, the peak was April of this year and we are currently less than one quarter of the number for peak.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #51
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
One of the best ways to naturally boost your immune system is to take cold showers. For years I've watched colds and flu's ravage my household and every time I'd barely get sick. It sounds deranged to most, but for a daily investment of 1 minute and zero cost, nothing comes close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol, this guy
He is far and away the greatest parody account on this site.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:43 AM   #52
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

The cyclicity of those peaks is really interesting to me. It is also worth noting that the overall level is reaching a steady state. The peak values are lowering and the trough values are increasing.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:13 AM   #53
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post

Sickest I've been in my adult life is right! god damn! I was in a full fever dream!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:19 AM   #54
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Man, it's backed by science*. Do your research!

*it is not.
To be fair... it kinda is.

We know the polar bear plunge/winter swimming claims to offer benefits for immune system and other things. Wim Hof has his cryotherapy concepts that adds to it. It actually is sorta measured/backed by science, but the science isn't well understood. It borderlines on pseudoscience on occasion, but there actually has been scientific research on it which has stated inconclusive vs incorrect.

But even if the science is totally valid, Wif Hof method and polar bear plunge all end up at a point where you're running around in the winter air in basically nothing but underwear... of course we be saying, "lol, this guy". People who do that are something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I'm pretty sure that comment wasn't parody and more bragging.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:23 AM   #55
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
You quoted two... Which one?
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:26 AM   #56
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
One is a parody account, the other just has some pretty out there ideas.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #57
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My family finally got Covid for the first time a few weeks ago. 10 year old brought it into the house, cold symptoms and fine within a couple of days. 13 year old had flu like symptoms for a couple of days. Both kids are double vaxxed. My wife got it the worst, flu like symptoms (body aches, chills, tired) for over a week.

I had just gotten the new Pfizer 4th dose a couple of days prior to coming home from out of town, took care of everyone with minimal precautions. Finally got it a week in so might have gotten some benefit from the booster by then, and had only minor cold symptoms (mild congestion). I could’ve worked through it quite easily, but took time off because I tested positive.

So as we know, symptoms vary a lot. But vaccines, overall health, and age tend to minimize the illness.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #58
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
One is parody

One is witty

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:24 AM   #59
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
To be fair... it kinda is.

We know the polar bear plunge/winter swimming claims to offer benefits for immune system and other things. Wim Hof has his cryotherapy concepts that adds to it. It actually is sorta measured/backed by science, but the science isn't well understood. It borderlines on pseudoscience on occasion, but there actually has been scientific research on it which has stated inconclusive vs incorrect.

But even if the science is totally valid, Wif Hof method and polar bear plunge all end up at a point where you're running around in the winter air in basically nothing but underwear... of course we be saying, "lol, this guy". People who do that are something else.

I'm pretty sure that comment wasn't parody and more bragging.
There's a book by a guy who basically followed Wim Hof around for a year or so (What Doesn't Kill Us), and it's quite good. Basically the guy does all the Wim Hof stuff like running up mountains of snow and ice in his underwear and swimming in freezing water. He ends with his fair share of skeptical takeaways, so it's not a glowing review across the board. One thing of note though is that Wim and several people he's trained in his method to undergo a procedure that is supposed to give them a reaction (cold or flu symptoms), and a statistically significant percentage of them do not get the reaction.

Scientifically things fall apart a bit when we deal with sample sizes that low and we use people who are evangelists of his method (the pharmacy of the mind is insane), but you wouldn't be crazy for concluding that when it comes to cold exposure and our immune response, there's probably something there.

Last edited by Russic; 11-09-2022 at 09:32 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 09:31 AM   #60
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My wife came down with a cold a month ago, always tested negative for COVID. She is still coughing a month later, seems to be very stubborn.

I, being an advanced superhuman, have gone unaffected.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote