Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2022, 12:37 AM   #21
FireGilbert
Franchise Player
 
FireGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Brisbane
Exp:
Default

13 members on lichess now!

I haven’t seen anyone online but am like 16 hours ahead of Calgary. Would be up for a blitz tourney or a few games after the Oilers game.
__________________
The masses of humanity have always had to surf.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #22
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee
 
Iowa_Flames_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Over the hill
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
joined! if someone wants an easy victory, let's play...i haven't played in about 15years at least
I sent you a correspondence challenge. I’m GrettirTPH on lichess.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #23
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee
 
Iowa_Flames_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Over the hill
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
13 members on lichess now!

I haven’t seen anyone online but am like 16 hours ahead of Calgary. Would be up for a blitz tourney or a few games after the Oilers game.
I’m up for that any time too. There’s usually time for a rapid game (or 2 blitz games) between periods!
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 04:09 PM   #24
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: ATCO Field, Section 201
Exp:
Default



TLDR/ He argues that there is no evidence of Hans cheating over the board.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 01:58 PM   #25
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: ATCO Field, Section 201
Exp:
Default

Not that it means anything to anyone but me, but I am at my highest ever rapid rating. 1079. Time to stop playing? I think not. Better keep going until I blunder back down to 900.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:05 PM   #26
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Did we ever do anything with the CP group on Chess.com? I've basically been getting wrecked against IFF since we that group started, and it would be good to add some others in!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #27
Superfraggle
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Did we ever do anything with the CP group on Chess.com? I've basically been getting wrecked against IFF since we that group started, and it would be good to add some others in!
I joined the group, but haven't done anything with it. Happy to play anybody who wants to. Username there is Doozre.
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #28
ah123
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Here
Exp:
Default

I joined as well, (username is karim1002) but haven’t played against anyone. If anyone wants to play a relative beginner, I am game
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:12 PM   #29
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee
 
Iowa_Flames_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Over the hill
Exp:
Default

Also happy to play anyone. Correspondence is easiest but if you catch me online I’m happy to do other time controls too.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:12 PM   #30
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee
 
Iowa_Flames_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Over the hill
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Not that it means anything to anyone but me, but I am at my highest ever rapid rating. 1079. Time to stop playing? I think not. Better keep going until I blunder back down to 900.
1000 is pretty good. I briefly made to 1000 in blitz, but it’s a jungle out there—I didn’t last long.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #31
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback
 
flamingchina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Back in Calgary, again. finally?
Exp:
Default

Can we start a correspondence tournament on the chess.com one?
flamingchina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingchina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 05:41 PM   #32
Cortez
Scoring Winger
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zuma
Exp:
Default

Superfraggle, ah123 I sent friend requests on chess.com. My username is ClutchMccutch
anyone else on the far superior chess.com can add me as well.

Everyone else on lichess is now the enemy
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cortez For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 11:02 PM   #33
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee
 
Iowa_Flames_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Over the hill
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingchina View Post
Can we start a correspondence tournament on the chess.com one?
I don’t know how to do that, but I would be into that for sure.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:03 PM   #34
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee
 
Iowa_Flames_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Over the hill
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Superfraggle, ah123 I sent friend requests on chess.com. My username is ClutchMccutch
anyone else on the far superior chess.com can add me as well.

Everyone else on lichess is now the enemy
What about those of us who are on both….?
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:50 PM   #35
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback
 
flamingchina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Back in Calgary, again. finally?
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
I don’t know how to do that, but I would be into that for sure.
Instructions are here

https://www.chess.com/article/view/h...-daily-tourney
flamingchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:13 AM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

I used to be really fond of chess, mainly because my Dad and me played it a lot. I remember when we played a fathers versus sons game and I caught him in the corner and he tore a muscle in his back and had to stay home for a week. It was the only time I could beat him because I think he was high on pain killers. But my Dad was a absolute shark at the game. He was playing Chess, me I was playing the game called Life.

I haven't picked up a board in about 15 years, my Dad quit player because he just couldn't see the game like he used to.

I doubt I could remember how to play, I doubt I'm smart enough to be good anymore.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:44 AM   #37
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee
 
Iowa_Flames_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Over the hill
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I used to be really fond of chess, mainly because my Dad and me played it a lot. I remember when we played a fathers versus sons game and I caught him in the corner and he tore a muscle in his back and had to stay home for a week. It was the only time I could beat him because I think he was high on pain killers. But my Dad was a absolute shark at the game. He was playing Chess, me I was playing the game called Life.

I haven't picked up a board in about 15 years, my Dad quit player because he just couldn't see the game like he used to.

I doubt I could remember how to play, I doubt I'm smart enough to be good anymore.
You should just try it. None of us are grandmasters, and the idea (for me at least) is just to have some fun.

For me, it also reminds me of being a kid and playing with my dad. I was an adult the first time I beat him—he NEVER let me win, ever.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #38
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee
 
Iowa_Flames_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Over the hill
Exp:
Default

Ok. I think I successfully created a correspondence tournament—3 days to make a move, groups of 4 and one player advancing per group.

Sent invites to club members plus ClutchMcCutch (who hasn’t joined yet….). Anyone who wants to play just send me your chess.com username and I’ll invite you.

Once we have at least a few players registered I will start the tournament. If you are not interested in playing, maybe send me a note so we don’t wait for you—no hard feelings.

It should probably go without saying, but…. No beads allowed.

Here is a link in case that is easier: Calgarypuck Correspondence Chess Tournament
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 12:30 PM   #39
Superfraggle
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
You should just try it. None of us are grandmasters, and the idea (for me at least) is just to have some fun.

For me, it also reminds me of being a kid and playing with my dad. I was an adult the first time I beat him—he NEVER let me win, ever.
This. The other thing I'm really liking about it is just the random game finding. If you end up not having anyone around your level in the CP group (which you won't know until you try it out), the website is really good at finding opponents at your level once you've played a couple games to find your rating.

I never wait more than a couple seconds when I queue for a quick match and playing lots of different people has really helped me improve quickly in a short period of time.
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:48 PM   #40
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee
 
Iowa_Flames_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Over the hill
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
This. The other thing I'm really liking about it is just the random game finding. If you end up not having anyone around your level in the CP group (which you won't know until you try it out), the website is really good at finding opponents at your level once you've played a couple games to find your rating.

I never wait more than a couple seconds when I queue for a quick match and playing lots of different people has really helped me improve quickly in a short period of time.
Totally. And it gives you some perspective. No matter how bad you think you are, there are people out there who are at or below your level. And, conversely, when you feel like you’re “improving” and start thinking you’re pretty good—there are so many players out there who are playing this game on a whole other level.

But then you find your “zone” and you get matched up with other players in the same zone, and (the occasional cheater aside) it’s a fun way to challenge yourself.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021