Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2022, 03:00 PM   #1241
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We lost our Wild Man today. He was 13 and he got nicknamed "wild man" as a pup because he was just nuts (in a good way) - well-behaved but nuts - his actual name was Bailey. We got him about a week after we'd lost our first dog Jake (same breed) - we couldn't stand how quiet it was around the house, everyone was sad & morose, and my husband said "I loved Jake & I'm not trying to replace him but please go find another pup, it's just too weird to not have a wiggly little body meet me so happily when I come in the door after work" and Bailey joined our family a couple of days later. My husband named him but Bailey soon decided my oldest son was his boy and it was ever so.

He'd slowed down considerably the past several months & just in the past few days, I'd wondered if the end was coming. He wasn't sick or suffering, just...different. He gave me this look this morning, there was just something different about his eyes when he looked at me & I told my family I thought he might pass soon. I didn't even have time to arrange a vet appointment - I was going to arrange the appointment around when my eldest son could be there with us. I popped out to run some errands and he went to sleep and just didn't wake up, he was gone when I got home. He was the very goodest of boys.

You'll be missed, Wild Man.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:16 PM   #1242
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m so sorry Minnie! That face!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 06:24 PM   #1243
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh, what a cutie. I'm so sorry, Minnie.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 06:44 PM   #1244
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Sorry for your loss, Minne.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:23 PM   #1245
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, here we are again. My daughter lost her Finn last night, after losing Farley June 2021.

Finn was special. He & Farf came to us as a bonded pair, 11 years ago. We weren't looking for 2 dogs for my daughter, but when we/she met them, it was instant love. They returned the favor 100 fold. Farf was a love - dumber than a sack of hair, but the happiest dumbbell you'd ever meet.

Finn was serious & the alpha. He'd get a wild hair up his arse every once in a while and tear around like a puppy, or play fight with my daughter. But mostly, he was her hip barnacle/shadow. He took his job of owning my daughter seriously. I'd often go into her room to check on her, especially when she was unwell, and find him smushed up against her back as hard as he could smush. If not there, then either up against her face, or head tucked under her chin. It was like he couldn't possibly get close enough to her.

We got them the year after her accident, when all her health stuff really seemed to be hitting the proverbial fan, to encourage her to walk more, to help with her foot. It wasn't long before I realized that Finn knew when something wasn't right with her health. He'd become very fixated on her, sit & stare at her, then look at me, then go back to looking at her. When he wasn't doing that, he became a major hip barnacle & would very reluctantly leave her side - sometimes he'd refuse. I learned quickly to pay attention to that behaviour & he was *always* bang on, that something was up.

If she spent any time in hospital, whether in emerg or admitted, it was imperative that whichever hand/arm they'd had the IV in, he needed to try and lick the area to death. Maybe he didn't like the hospital smell, I don't know, but he wouldn't stop trying to "clean" the area until he was satisfied that he'd done whatever it was he needed to do.

He was the best little dog. He was her support, in every way. I don't know who loved who more, it was a gigantic mutual admiration society between those two. His little ears heard a lot of secrets, his fur caught many tears and his cuddles could make a bad day much better.

He was 17, but until this past year, people often thought he was still a puppy. He really started showing his age in the past 6 months, mostly blind, almost deaf & in the past while, we think he had doggy dementia, all his symptoms matched up. He fell off her bed sometime in the morning hours on Monday, we think he may have had a bit of a stroke or something. He could eventually walk, a couple of hours later, but he looked drunk. Then he started howling off and on, a sort of cry-howl. She knew it was time and he passed yesterday, at the vet's. She is pretty devastated and it's entirely too quiet around here - we've gone from 3 dogs to none, in 17 months. Finn got her through many hard times.

A few pics:

His favorite position:

Camping:

Christmas pup:

A hospital admission, at South Health, in 2014 - the nurses found out she had a dog &
let us know that we could bring him in to visit her, so we hopped on that quick as quick -
not sure who was happier to see whom:

Saying goodbye:

Last edited by Minnie; 11-29-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:32 PM   #1246
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh man, Minnie. What a sweet little guy. The love is unconditional and never ending. It's amazing that he supported her through everything and did what he could to help her through it. At the end, it sounds like she did the same for him. I'm sorry for your family's loss.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 09:38 PM   #1247
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for your loss, Minnie
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 12:57 AM   #1248
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Sorry for your loss, Minnie. Dogs become a part of the family and it's always a sad moment when you lose them.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:44 PM   #1249
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minnie, I'm so sorry for your loss, for your family's loss. What a special story.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:14 PM   #1250
BrolyTheUnholy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm so sorry for your family's pain, Minnie. <3
BrolyTheUnholy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrolyTheUnholy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 02:21 AM   #1251
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've known it's coming. My little Wendel was diagnosed with congenital heart failure in the fall, and I've been trying to steel myself and mentally prepare for the inevitable. But you just can't prepare for this.

Just about every day for the last week I've gotten packed up to drive my dog to the vet, but he always sprung back after some pain meds. But tonight he just couldn't sit comfortably, was coughing way more than usual, struggling to breathe... It was time.

He hasn't been able to tolerate the cold, even like -1°, so I take him to Home Depot, Michael's, Lowe's, etc. to go for a walks. At first I was feeling guilty about taking my dogs into a store---even ones that say, 'bring your dog.' I'd never done it before, and I probably never will again. But pretty quick we became regulars and many of the staff were so excited to see him.

About 18 months ago my pug died, and it took Wendel six months to get over it. They've been together for about 12+ years. I got another dog just over a year ago, and it took Wendel about three hours to come to terms with this invader, and take him under his wing.

The pug never played with Wendel, but my new puppy is a play machine. I really wish I'd gotten Wendel a playmate five years sooner, cause this last year has brought him such joy. It's also been hard to watch Wendel struggle to keep up

One of the most upsetting things I've ever seen was tonight at the vet, after my dog had been euthanized, the puppy had a stuffed rabbit in his mouth and was trying to push it into Wendel's face to get him to play.

It's just so unfair that a dog with an enormous heart, and without a mean bone in his body would succumb to heart failure.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 01-31-2023 at 02:25 AM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:49 PM   #1252
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brilliant eulogy. Hit me in the feels too. Thanks for sharing about your bundle of joy.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 12:47 PM   #1253
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so very sorry for your loss. What joy he brought to your life, that will certainly be hard to replace, but hopefully soon all the happy memories will outweigh the sad ones.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:44 PM   #1254
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

My cat of 18 yrs passed at home yesterday afternoon. While this was no surprise it still hurts. She was with me before I met my wife and was easily my longest companion. I always knew this day would come to be but as I stand here in the moment it is more difficult than I ever anticipated as I am helping my children through this transition. While my 4 yr old doesn’t fully get what’s happening it’s been hard in my 7 yr old as this is his first exposure to the reality’s of life. We are all living core memories today.

This is what wrote to help myself:

Life is filled with moments from grand to somber and everything in between. Yesterday our household experienced a sad juncture with the peaceful passing of our cat Taj. She was a faithful friend for me, my wife and I and for our family. She had been with me for almost two decades.

Notorious for her attitude and often misunderstood, she will be forever legendary.

As her spirit departs to drift on the west winds take a moment to hug those that bring you warmth. Safe travels to our cherished companion. You will be missed.

Last edited by surferguy; 02-01-2023 at 02:03 PM.
surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:46 AM   #1255
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
My cat of 18 yrs passed at home yesterday afternoon. While this was no surprise it still hurts. She was with me before I met my wife and was easily my longest companion. I always knew this day would come to be but as I stand here in the moment it is more difficult than I ever anticipated as I am helping my children through this transition. While my 4 yr old doesn’t fully get what’s happening it’s been hard in my 7 yr old as this is his first exposure to the reality’s of life. We are all living core memories today.

This is what wrote to help myself:

Life is filled with moments from grand to somber and everything in between. Yesterday our household experienced a sad juncture with the peaceful passing of our cat Taj. She was a faithful friend for me, my wife and I and for our family. She had been with me for almost two decades.

Notorious for her attitude and often misunderstood, she will be forever legendary.

As her spirit departs to drift on the west winds take a moment to hug those that bring you warmth. Safe travels to our cherished companion. You will be missed.

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. What a great lifetime you had together. Beautiful sentiments on what she meant to you and your family.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:08 PM   #1256
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

My little girl is not okay. She has a sarcoma on her heart and cancer all throughout her body. We are scheduled for radiation Monday morning, but she’s lost five pounds since Tuesday, and that’s 10% of her body weight. I don’t even know if she’d be able to survive the procedure. She feels so far away, and I can tell she knows the end is near. But she’s been so brave, because she doesn’t know any other way to be.

I wasn’t with my childhood dog when they put him down, and that’s haunted me for the last nine years. But Daisy, I’ll hold her to the end. Every day from here is a gift - I love you, Daisy. You’ve done so well. So well. Dad’s got you. He’s always here to take care of you.

The Dog Park of Gethsemane

I only want to say
If there is a way
Don’t take this pup
Away from me
For I don’t want to
Say goodbye yet
It’s too early
She’s not eight
She’s not that old
She’s barely started

When she first arrived
I was so inspired
Listen, surely she’s exceeded
Expectations
My little gollie
Daisy Bearface
Could you please come back
For her another time?

God, if she dies
What does that improve?
What does that achieve?
Earth’s a far far better place
With Daisy, you’d agree?

I wanna know
Wanna know, my God
I wanna know
Wanna know my God

Wanna see,
I wanna see, My God,
Wanna see,
I wanna see, my God

Why she should die
She doesn’t deserve this
She deserves a whole lot more
What she deserves and what she gets
Aren’t the same thing
Anymore

I have to know
Have to know, my Lord
I have to know
Have to know my Lord

Have to see,
I have to see, My Lord,
Have to see,
I have to see, my Lord

When she dies,
You have to see her home
When she dies
You can’t leave her alone
I have to know
Have to know my Lord
Have to know,
Have to know,
My Lord

Why should she die?
Oh why should she die?
Please don’t take her now
Please, just not today
Here endeth the lesson
‘Nothing gold can stay.’
Show me there’s a reason
For you wanting her to die
I get it Lord, you want a dog
But why do you need mine?

No. She’s fine.
Just watch, she’ll be fine.
Leave her, she’s mine
Leave her, she’s mine

Then, we were inspired
Now, we’re sad and tired
After all, we’ve had these eight years
Seems like nothing
Why then do you need to take her
Right away now?
You don’t, do you?
That never stops you

God, thy will is hard
But you hold every card
She will drink your cup of poison
Mum and Dad are here, my Daisy
Please, please please please please don’t
Take her now
Please give a bit more time, God
A little bit more time

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 04-16-2023 at 05:40 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 03:41 PM   #1257
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

GreenLantern it's very difficult to be with your pets during their last moments but I don't regret it at all. The compassion shown by the vet clinic was great, they let my wife and I have the room to ourselves for as long as we wanted after we put down our doberman. Our vet is also a friend of ours and she cried with us.

I'm sorry you're going through this, it's the worst part of pet ownership. You're doing the right thing though and I hope you and the family deal with it as best as you can.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2023, 12:14 PM   #1258
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

When we brought her home from the vet on Thursday, I didn’t know if she’d make it to Monday. But she did, and she has had a wonderful non-stop procession of visitors and friends coming to see her ever since. Her energy came back up, and she still gets excited for her trips to the park, and she isn’t a wallflower when she’s there. She’s still hyped to greet everyone and socialize for long periods. She gets tired, but her breathing isn’t laboured. She’s not unhappy, and she isn’t scared.

I don’t go to church or pray, but, um… yeah. All I know is, we keep getting time. It goes so fast. You never have as much of it as you think, and when it’s gone… don’t waste it.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 05:12 PM   #1259
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Goodbye little puppers...Nanny will be there to take care of you until I get there. I love you..
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2023, 07:31 AM   #1260
puckhog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My in-laws’ dog, Rosie, somehow got out yesterday and was hit and killed by a car. She was only 7, and we’re all really broken up.

I never had dogs growing up, but it was very important for my wife. When we decided to get our dog, her parents got Rosie from the same litter, so we’ve watched our dogs grow up together, play together, destroy blankets together. We live fairly close, so we often take them for walks together, or just happen to see them in the dog park. It’s so hard to believe she’s gone, still a feeling of numbness/unreality about it, like there might be some kind of mistake and we’ll still find her.

The other thing we’re struggling with is what to tell our 4 year old. She’s grown up with the dogs, and we have no idea how to explain this to her. Any advice or resources on this?
puckhog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to puckhog For This Useful Post: