Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Predicting MtG sealed packs

This might be very old news but I know some people here play Magic the Gathering. I thought this was neat - especially if you are into making money trading cards and such. Kinda breaks the "fun" of opening packs though:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I had no idea you could predict what was in the box. I haven't played since high school but that is pretty neat. I spent too much money on booster boxes, really!

I guess the lesson learned is not to buy booster packs from opened sets since they've probably been pillaged of their best cards.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
HELPNEEDED
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Shirt magic meet up?
HELPNEEDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

If this thing actually works, it's a major fail for Wizards. Aren't the packs supposed to be random?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Damn, if only more jocks knew how to write code. Would love to have one of these apps for hockey cards.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That is pretty sweet, i bet its always been like that over the years. A guy could make some good money doing that.
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes, cards have been like that forever. I've never taken advantage of it, but I had opened up so many hockey card packs in the late 80s & early 90s I started to see the pattern. I generally opened up packs to make sets to sell. What sucked for me is when the packs were somewhat mixed up and I ended up with unbalanced boxes. I heard about people searching boxes for special cards, but I don't think it was too common.

That is actually a pretty slick app. It goes to show why you should only buy from reputable sellers.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
If this thing actually works, it's a major fail for Wizards. Aren't the packs supposed to be random?

They likely print in set (but very large) sequences that are pre-randomized. I'm sure there are limitations on doing true randomization in the mass printing world... one of which would be keeping the distribution of the "rare" cards to a set rate per pack/box.

What they should be doing is randomizing the packs that go into boxes. Keep the average number of "really rare" cards (they call them Mythic rare) the same per box, just shuffle where they are in the box.

I don't buy single packs myself, except when playing at an event that doesn't have an entrance fee (to support the store I'm playing at). I'll stick to boxes or individual cards for my collection purposes