Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #41
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Where certain hot sauces rate on the Scoville Scale:

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale.php

ex.

Tabasco Original Hot Sauce (2,500, 50% heat of jalapeno)

"Tabasco was first commercially produced in 1869, when McIlhenny sent 658 new cologne bottles filled with hot sauce to market."

The most popular hot sauce around. Extremely mild to chiliheads

Sriracha (2,200, 44% heat of jalapeno)

A Thai chile sauce named after the seaside city of Si Racha, in the Chonburi Province of central Thailand, where it was first produced for dishes served at local seafood restaurants. It is a paste typically made from sun-ripened chile peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt. This Americanized version, primarily produced by Huy Fong Foods, is somewhat different from the Thai pastes, and has become a common condiment stateside

Tabasco SWEET & Spicy Pepper Sauce (100-600, 12%)

The mildest of the Tabasco Brand sauces. If this stuff is hot for you, then you shouldn't even be wasting your time on this page.;-

Frank's Red Hot (450, 9%)

One of America's most popular chile pepper sauces, and was the first sauce used on buffalo wings back in 1964.

Last edited by troutman; 02-16-2011 at 04:25 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #42
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Just discovered this in the fall. Pretty tame as far as hot sauces go, but I love the flavour. I put that shyte on everything lately. That and I just like saying "Cholula". Just feels right.

Cholula Hot Sauce (3,600, 72%)

"Cholula Hot Sauce has been made for three generations by the same family in Jalisco, Mexico, Cholula's special blend of red peppers, piquin peppers and spices have a unique flavor and aroma unlike anything you've ever experienced before. It's a seasoning, an ingredient, a condiment and a sauce. Its unique taste makes it the perfect complement to a wide range of foods."

Although it has a relatively mild heat, I love this stuff! Terrific flavor with just the right hints of hotness, smokiness and tanginess.

Last edited by troutman; 02-16-2011 at 04:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #43
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I avoid any hot sauce that has capsaicin listed as an ingredient - I'm after the flavour and heat of the peppers used to make the sauce, not a synthesized chemical added to simply create a burning sensation. I consider it gimmicky to boast you have a super hot product, when you essentially dumped pepper spray into a bottle, rather than cultivate or select intense, flavourful peppers for your sauce.

For anyone interested in growing their own hot peppers to make their own sauces, a great source of seeds is here: http://pepperjoe.com/

I've used some of his seeds before and they produce great peppers. They throw in some bonus seed packets in each order, so you always have something unusual to try out too.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #44
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingchina View Post

Ebesse ZoZo, made by an immigrant from Togo who lives in Nelson.
I've spoken with that guy a couple of times, he's fantastic. That hot sauce is HOT. Even the medium is hard to take too much of at times. Great on Stoned Wheat Thin crackers!
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

As a hot sauce connaisseur who has seached far and wide for the hottest sauce, l can say without question that this is the hottest.
Blair's 16 Million Reserve (16,000,000, 3200 X hotter than jalapeno)

"Blair's 16 Million Reserve is the latest in the line of reserves from Blair. This reserve bottle contains 1ml of pure capsaicin crystals. 16 Million Reserve is not to be consumed or even opened without using extreme caution. Only 999 of Blair's 16 Million will be produced, so get yours quick!"

You cannot get any hotter. This (and the Blair's 6 AM below) reach the maximum Scoville Rating of 16 million. This is pure capsaicin

http://carolinasaucecompany.blogspot...lokia-hot.html

Just in case the original Dave's Insanity Sauce wasn't hot enough for you, Dave's Gourmet has now come out with Dave's Ghost Pepper Naga Jolokia Hot Sauce, featuring the world's hottest hot pepper as the main ingredient. Also called the Bhut Jolokia or "ghost" pepper (purportedly because you "give up the ghost" with one bite of this ultra hot pepper), the Naga Jolokia tops the Scoville scale at over 1 million Scoville Units of pure, unforgiving peppery fire.

the sauce itself isnt 1000000 scolville, probity around the 150k 200k mark. Its only raw jolokia peppers that are around 1 mill scol

Last edited by troutman; 02-16-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #46
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
I avoid any hot sauce that has capsaicin listed as an ingredient - I'm after the flavour and heat of the peppers used to make the sauce, not a synthesized chemical added to simply create a burning sensation. I consider it gimmicky to boast you have a super hot product, when you essentially dumped pepper spray into a bottle, rather than cultivate or select intense, flavourful peppers for your sauce.

For anyone interested in growing their own hot peppers to make their own sauces, a great source of seeds is here: http://pepperjoe.com/

I've used some of his seeds before and they produce great peppers. They throw in some bonus seed packets in each order, so you always have something unusual to try out too.
Isn't capsaicin found in all hot peppers? I don't think you can avoid it. That is what makes the peppers hot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin

Peeperjoe is good - I found it hard to grow peppers in Calgary.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #47
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Isn't capsaicin found in all hot peppers? I don't think you can avoid it. That is what makes the peppers hot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin

When the ingredients list capsaicin it means it is an artificial capsaicin extract, they've just added the chemical to spike the hotness and not used real peppers.

It'd be like buying orange juice except instead of the ingredients listing pure orange juice it said: water, color, citric acid - even if citric acid is in all orange juice, it is not orange juice.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-16-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #48
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Me too, I had little to no luck growing here, certainly not enough of a yield to actually make any meaningful amount of sauce.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #49
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
When the ingredients list capsaicin it means it is an artificial capsaicin extract, they've just added the chemical to spike the hotness and not used real peppers.
Yup. It's akin to using simulated bacon flavour - a mortal sin in my culinary books.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #50
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The other day I saw Sriracha in ketchup-like packages (condiments)
It was pretty cool.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #51
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have some assblaster that i love the taste of, and it comes in an outhouse

MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #52
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Try chewing those peppers that come with Vietnamese soup like gum, you will know what I am talking about! You can't taste anything for the next 1/2 hour.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #53
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

For anybody who likes Frank's Red Hot- the President's Choice Louisiana Hot Sauce is just as good; and you can buy a ~1L bottle for the same price as a small bottle of Frank's.

I pretty much only use hot sauce for wings; but this is all I use now.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #54
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
You're the one who keeps stealing it from our store, #######!
You own superstore? Wow, you must be loaded.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #55
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingchina View Post

Ebesse ZoZo, made by an immigrant from Togo who lives in Nelson.
I have a bottle of the one on the left.. I definitely wouldn't dollop again. Terrific kick!
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #56
Stumptown
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Jufran Hot Banana! Pic below is not of the hot version, the regular is very sweet, and OK in its own way, but the hot is wonderful on eggs and potatoes, and many other things. The hot version is also harder to find, sadly, so I tend to stock up whenever I find it.

Stumptown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumptown For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #57
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in love with this thread. So awesome.

Recently discovered the Cholula as well. Great flavour and some cohones. I like it substituted for Franks or Louisiana in your favourite wing recipe.
Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 AM   #58
Crazy Flamer
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumptown View Post
Jufran Hot Banana! Pic below is not of the hot version, the regular is very sweet, and OK in its own way, but the hot is wonderful on eggs and potatoes, and many other things. The hot version is also harder to find, sadly, so I tend to stock up whenever I find it.

Gotta say, this stuff is awesome! I found it in a Philipino Store Just behind Home Depot around Chinook. I have added it to stews and stir fry and it is good for both flavor and added spice.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #59
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone familiar with Baron sauce? This stuff is phenomenal.

Quote:
Baron is one of St Lucia's largest food canning and bottling companies, and its famous yellow sauce is found on almost every hotel and restaurant table throughout the island. Made from Scotch Bonnets, its recipe includes mustard (hence the colour) and a mix of vinegar and other spices. It is fairly hot, thick and gloopy, with a taste reminiscent of "piccalilli" (due, no doubt, to that mustard). Splashed liberally over food, it is enjoyable, but easy-going: a good sauce for beginners. Baron also makes a red-coloured sauce which is reputedly somewhat hotter.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #60
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Bet a friend once that he wouldn't eat a whole habanero pepper (#5 on the hot pepper list). It cost me $20 but I got a story out of it.

He bled out the ass.

That's my story.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote