Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #81
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
There's a pretty significant value difference between a 40 goal/60 point guy and a 20 goal/60 point guy.
I couldn't agree more. Your problem is that Skinner is neither of these. In fact, he's closer to the latter than the former in most years. If you want to call him a 30/30 guy, fine - in that case, go ahead and pay him like Evander Kane.

Regardless, he's being paid a couple million too much for a few years too long, and this deal should not have been signed.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #82
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Evander Kane has never scored 40 goals -- prior to signing that contract he'd only scored 30 goals (on the nose) once, and only cracked 50 points twice.

Skinner has scored 30 goals four times (31, 33, 37, 40), 60 points three times (with two of those big seasons being in his last three), and is also not a notorious negative presence in the locker room and community. Kane is clearly a big step down from Skinner.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #83
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Absolutely insane term and dollars for Skinner. Not sure how the Sabres could agree on this.

$7M tops...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #84
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
Absolutely insane term and dollars for Skinner. Not sure how the Sabres could agree on this.

$7M tops...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
This is why I keep saying that he must have had some leverage and had them over a barrel or something because he didnt even take a haircut on AAV for the full NMC or going to full term and hes still way overpaid.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #85
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is why I keep saying that he must have had some leverage and had them over a barrel or something because he didnt even take a haircut on AAV for the full NMC or going to full term and hes still way overpaid.
Yes, its called UFA . Acquisition cost to replace him has to be considered and /or included in their decision to sign him for what they paid.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #86
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This kind of reminds me of the Vanek scenario.

Didnt they panic-pay Vanek too and that turned into a disaster because his production fell off a cliff?
Vanek was a matched RFA offer sheet, so they have Kevin Lowe to blame for that one.

In hindsight, they should have taken the 4 first round picks and ended up with Eberle, Paajarvi, Hall, and Nugent-Hopkins (or roughly equivalent players they may have chosen with Edmonton's picks).
Old 06-08-2019, 11:58 PM   #87
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Evander Kane has never scored 40 goals -- prior to signing that contract he'd only scored 30 goals (on the nose) once, and only cracked 50 points twice.

Skinner has scored 30 goals four times (31, 33, 37, 40), 60 points three times (with two of those big seasons being in his last three), and is also not a notorious negative presence in the locker room and community. Kane is clearly a big step down from Skinner.
Kane bring other elements to the game as well.

Plus, his contract is questionable as well. Skinner's is definitely overpayment.
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:34 AM   #88
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Holy ####.

Jeff Skinner got 9 million dollars per year?

Buffalo Fans in full defence mode.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #89
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Did he help bury Jimmy Hoffa or something?
Not Hoffa. Ville Leino.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #90
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Makes me appreciate the deals that Johnny and Monahan signed more and more every year
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #91
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
A #### of a lot less. Sam Reinhart can't carry Jeff Skinner's jock at this point, regardless of point production. Just like Matthew Tkachuk can't compare to Skinner, Reinhart should not be pressing that case as well. Skinner is a much better player all around and has the advantage of UFA status to work with. Neither Tkachuk nor Reinhart have that advantage, nor the track record, to rely upon when it comes to establishing their worth.
Huh? Tkachuk is 10X a better player than Skinner in almost every way, Skinner gets true #1 centers like Aho or Eichel to play with, Matthew got Backlund who's barely a #2 center and Matt still crushed Skinner in scoring.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #92
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Makes me appreciate the deals that Johnny and Monahan signed more and more every year
Yes, but that was more of a timing thing than shrewd GM'ing. If they had signed a year later it would have been much more. I mean Mackinnon in my eyes is a top 3 player in the world. He makes less than Johnny and Monahan.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #93
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

For this to make a lick of sense, I have to think that Buffalo and Skinner's camp consider his 63 point plateau as a sign of potential lost more than his ceiling. Whether they're right or not... we'll see.

But I haven't thought of any Skinner season as 'his ceiling' quite yet, and last year looked to be more of a return to form than anything else. 2010-11 was a great rookie year, and last year we saw him get opportunities that seemed to be limited for him in Carolina. In a way, both times he's started a new campaign it's started with 63 points.

His time in Carolina was... weird. I don't know what it was that led him to be losing opportunities and ultimately trickle down the lineup - but in Buffalo we saw that he really could be the player people hoped he'd be in Carolina.

But is he a leader? Does his 200' game warrant a big contract? Do they think he's an 80ish pt player? All that can make sense to me is that they think of him as the $9M player that this contract deserves - and they've made an 8-year full NMC bet on him earning it.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #94
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Contracts like these drive the rates up across the league, and make it harder to sign players within a team structure. Agents will want to Skinner's contract as a comparable. I think Brad negotiations should be used as a model to learn how to get your contracts to fit within a team structure. Skinners contract hurts the league. I'm not sure why some Buffalo fans are defending it.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 06-09-2019 at 09:55 AM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #95
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Contracts like these drive the rates up across the league, and make it harder to sign players within a team structure. Agents will want to Skinner's contract as a comparable. I think Brad negotiations should be used as a model to learn how to get your contracts to fit within a team structure. Skinners contract hurts the league. I'm not sure why some Buffalo fans are defending it.
Skinner’s or any other UFA contract cannot be used as a comparable to any RFA contract, literally and figuratively. A RFA going to arbitration cannot use a UFA contract as a comparable

The closer a team gets to losing an currently owned but prospective UFA player, the more likely a premium will have to be paid by the team holding his rights.
Factor in the said asset (player) replacement cost , should the UFA walk, and the additional salary and premium to keep him starts to make sense.

Moral of the story is get core player’s second and / or third contracts heading towards UFA done as early as possible and reduce team expense and exposure. The longer you wait, the more expensive it gets for the team to retain the player and/or replace him.

Treliving has done an excellent job of getting potential UFA core Flames players under contract early and to very reasonable terms and amounts.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #96
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Skinner’s or any other UFA contract cannot be used as a comparable to any RFA contract, literally and figuratively. A RFA going to arbitration cannot use a UFA contract as a comparable
Well yah but how many guys negotiating these contracts go to arbitration?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #97
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I know one thing....this deal makes Matt Duchene very happy.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #98
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

What happened to Friedman’s report a couple years ago about skinner, knows the family, and made clear that head injuries were so bad he likely doesn’t have a long career and was considering retirement? Made it sound like he was one body check away from retirement?
Old 06-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #99
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that Buffalo didn't move Jeff Skinner at the deadline makes me think the Sabres have been working on this hard since then. Makes me wonder what Skinner's original ask was
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #100
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
What happened to Friedman’s report a couple years ago about skinner, knows the family, and made clear that head injuries were so bad he likely doesn’t have a long career and was considering retirement? Made it sound like he was one body check away from retirement?
Maybe they're hoping to get what they can out of him and figure when the contract gets too bad that IR and Insurance will eat the difference?

That'd be a risky play.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote