Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 09-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #21
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every aspect of Bennett's game improved last year, except for production. If he can add a half dozen goals and a half dozen assists to his game, and become a 20-20-40 guy, then the Flames are in great shape.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #22
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett's played 300+ games so we more than know what he is. A 3rd line depth player that plays a style that can help in the playoffs. Valuable to the team but let's not kid ourselves that he's more than that. 18 year old Bennett or 4th overall Bennett hype never panned out and never will.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #23
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Every aspect of Bennett's game improved last year, except for production. If he can add a half dozen goals and a half dozen assists to his game, and become a 20-20-40 guy, then the Flames are in great shape.
Exactly. He thinks the game a lot better than he used to.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #24
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Bennett's played 300+ games so we more than know what he is. A 3rd line depth player that plays a style that can help in the playoffs. Valuable to the team but let's not kid ourselves that he's more than that. 18 year old Bennett or 4th overall Bennett hype never panned out and never will.
There is a huge gap of possibility between these two poles. Bennett could still round his game out into an effective second line centre or winger, and that is a substantial improvement on your expectation that his career tops out as a depth player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #25
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
We can all agree he won't be the guy he was expected to be when taken 4th overall.

But there is still some runway left to prove he's a top six player (on the bottom side of top six). Especially if he adds some finishing.

His play driving and chance generation certainly suggest there could be a little more there.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #26
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
There is a huge gap of possibility between these two poles. Bennett could still round his game out into an effective second line centre or winger, and that is a substantial improvement on your expectation that his career tops out as a depth player.
Forward prime years are 24-27. Bennett is still one year after this season from meeting his potential, if he is statistically average that is.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #27
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Forward prime years are 24-27. Bennett is still one year after this season from meeting his potential, if he is statistically average that is.
And this isn't pining for Patrik Stefan to turn it around.

Bennett impacts games, and has had the underlying numbers to suggest more is there.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #28
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noah with a great blast mixed with mobility will be fun to watch. Could be a good excuse to get him and Brodie out there together and see where TJ can find him
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett is younger than Mangiapane, but 'this is what he is' continues to be a regular refrain.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #30
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Athletic’s Craig Custance reported Calgary’s Noah Hanifin tinkered with his one-timer at Darryl Belfry’s skills camp last month. He’s not the only Flame working on his finish. Another is Sam Bennett.

“I can do a better job of finishing opportunities,” he said. “Release points. Someone told me every time I shoot the puck it’s the same. Sometimes you need to mix it up, change the angle, change the release point, and I was working on that.”

Bennett added he was working on shooting off different feet, as well.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was James Neal that told him that. I've posted it before (so I won't do it again) but Neal wrote an article for the Players Tribune in 2015 about shooting and scoring in the NHL, and how he had to learn to change the angle, adjust your release, etc. Bennett has always been a one-trick pony, which is a big reason why he hasn't been able to produce like he could in junior.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #31
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was James Neal that told him that. I've posted it before (so I won't do it again) but Neal wrote an article for the Players Tribune in 2015 about shooting and scoring in the NHL, and how he had to learn to change the angle, adjust your release, etc. Bennett has always been a one-trick pony, which is a big reason why he hasn't been able to produce like he could in junior.
Honest question, what was/is his one trick?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #32
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
TBF, even if Neal can't do it any more, he was pretty good at just that - the tricky wrist/snap from medium/close range.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #33
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Honest question, what was/is his one trick?
I don't think he had a "trick" when he first entered the league; he just fired it towards the net. I've noticed the last couple of years when he's on a rush, he'll hold it wide, then toe drag into his body and let off a weak wrist shot (often into the goalie's crest or the defender's shin pads). It never works.

EDIT: Maybe one trick pony isn't the right way to phrase it. It's seemingly the only thing he knows how to do...

Last edited by tvp2003; 09-10-2019 at 04:15 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #34
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet a co-worker lunch that Bennett will outscore Neal, so I need Neal to score 30, Looch to score 20, and Bennett to score 31+ this year!
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #35
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Do you remember how good Backlund was at Sam's age? I remember. I also remember how many, of the fans, wrote him off as an average player.

You make it sound like he will never amount to more than a 3rd liner. You're probably right about him never living up to his draft hype, but where was Craig Conroy as a 23 year old? He was good before, but he was 30 when he had his break-out season. Langkow was 26 when he had his break-thru season and 30 when he finally cracked 30 goals.

I'm not saying he will turn out to be an amazing 1st or a good 2nd line player (because I just don't know), but maybe we shouldn't kid ourselves about thinking we know what he is, as a hockey player.

Last edited by CF84; 09-10-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Wall of text
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #36
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
If Bennett can improve his shot that could be big for him.

He's been able to get into good scoring positions, but just can't finish. Hopefully this helps with that.

It's kind of funny how much shooting skill can change how a player projects at the NHL level.

Bennett:

iCF: 615
iHDCF: 187
Rush Attempts: 24
Rebounds Created: 43
Shots: 346
Goals: 27
Shooting %: 7.8%
Corsi Shooting %: 4.4%
Just for fun let's compare him to another guy he gets compared to a lot.

Here's Max Domi the 3 years prior to his breakout 22 goal, 53 point performance at 5v5 last year.

Domi

iCF: 566
iHDCF: 105
Rush Attempts: 19
Rebounds Created: 37
Shots: 287
Goals: 23
Shooting %: 8.0%
Corsi Shooting %: 4.1%

Very similar type of numbers to Bennett at the same age.

Then all of a sudden Domi's shooting improved and he shot 14.5% (+6.5%), and had a 8.2% Corsi shooting % (+4.1%) at 5v5.

Now he's a bonafide top line player who was almost a point per game player last year

Another name mentioned in this thread that is a similar story right here in Calgary with our own Elias Lindholm.

Lindholm

iCF: 638
iHDCF: 167
Rush Attempts: 22
Rebounds Created: 46
Shots: 359
Goals: 22
Shooting %: 6.1%
Corsi Shooting %: 3.4%

Then last year he had a 12.0 shooting percentage, and a 7.0 corsi shooting percentage.

If Bennett can do something similar and double his Corsi shooting percentage from the last three years that would mean he had ~50 goals at 5v5 over the last three seasons instead of 27.

Domi and Lindholm both took off when they got an elevated role with better linemates on a new team.

Maybe we should just try an elevated role with better linemates in Calgary for Bennett instead of Brouwer/Neal like the past couple years.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #37
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I doubt others would agree that this is in the cards (my sense is most pencil Lucic on 4L and Sam with Janko on 3L) but Bennett with Lucic might be very good for Sam’s game. Bennett was counted on as one of the only guys at forward to stand up for teammates so he has that element to him.

Plus I think if Bennett can take pucks hard to the net, Lucic could benefit by being in that area instead of trying to make rush plays.
In fact if both Mangiapane and Tkachuk are no shows or late to sign a Lucic - Ryan - Bennett line could be interesting.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #38
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Great news Bennett working on his shot. I think that'll really help him actually and nice to see somebody actively thinking about weaknesses and trying to improve them. That's what being a professional is all about.

Bennett could be a dark horse this year. I've been not really a fan of the guy up until playoffs last year- where he showed he was one of the only players, save Mike Smith, that appeared to give a rats' ass. He was one of a very very short list who played with even a modicum of tenacity / grit / desire- whatever you want to call it. To me this made him invaluable to this roster which was marshmallow soft come playoff time. We need more of the workmanlike and willingness of players like Bennett. If only he could rub off on others (phrasing, sorry).
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #39
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh, who cares? How many people is Bennett going to beat the hell out of this year?
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #40
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett still going to lead the league in shots into defenders shin pads
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post: