Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #21
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My 7 year old daughter wants a skateboard. Only thing on her Santa list so I'm looking to make it happen. Problem is - no idea where to start. Any recommendations on local shops, info on proper size, style, etc for a beginner?
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #22
VintageMilanLucic
In the Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Today is the day I googled American Girl dolls and found out that dolls cost $98 US dollars now.

And also look like this still somehow? Seems a little "old fashioned" no?

First Nations children can't have a doll to call their own?
VintageMilanLucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #23
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a suggestion for those with babies/toddlers who want some ideas:

We've been getting personalized books made from Wunderbly:

https://www.wonderbly.com/ca

A go-to for us is the personalized book with the childs name in it and a story about how they have to find all the words to make their name:

Link

Little pricey but very sentimental and you also get a discount if you buy multiple books
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #24
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone give me advice on what kind of drill to purchase? My guy wants a new drill and I don't know which brand to get. I take it Makita is the best?

Between the two of us we have four boys ages 18-22. They are all in college except the oldest who graduated. They are all getting gift cards for gas, grocery stores, and clothing (because none of them would ever buy clothing for themselves). Also, I put together a ton of snacks in a giant box for them to bring back to their respective colleges, including baked goods and regular snacks, which they always appreciate.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #25
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
My 7 year old daughter wants a skateboard. Only thing on her Santa list so I'm looking to make it happen. Problem is - no idea where to start. Any recommendations on local shops, info on proper size, style, etc for a beginner?
Go to West 49 at a mall. They’re slowly monopolizing skateboards and scooters etc and are very reasonably priced. Certainly there are specialty skateboard shops still but they’re more for the higher end I would imagine versus anything a 7 yo would require. West 49 has decent stuff above the Toys R Us or Cdn Tire type offerings. I got my 10yo daughter a trick scooter from there a few weeks ago from Mr Clause.

From myself, I got everyone in the family passes for that ‘ifly’ indoor skydiving place as a Christmas gift. Seems like it will be a fun activity for all.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #26
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
The Source has boards for about $100 and they're good for a beginner. The guys there are super helpful and they could recommend something for sure.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #27
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

A go-to for us is the personalized book with the childs name in it and a story about how they have to find all the words to make their name:

Link

Little pricey but very sentimental and you also get a discount if you buy multiple books

When my kids were young I found a place that made cd’s with common children’s songs incorporating their names into the music. Same idea as you noted. They loved it and yours will love the books. Great gift idea my friend.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:34 PM   #28
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
Can anyone give me advice on what kind of drill to purchase? My guy wants a new drill and I don't know which brand to get. I take it Makita is the best?

Between the two of us we have four boys ages 18-22. They are all in college except the oldest who graduated. They are all getting gift cards for gas, grocery stores, and clothing (because none of them would ever buy clothing for themselves). Also, I put together a ton of snacks in a giant box for them to bring back to their respective colleges, including baked goods and regular snacks, which they always appreciate.
Can't go wrong with Makita or DeWalt.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cord...s-of-the-year/
Old 11-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #29
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

Link

We've done this for our kids for several occasions (first birthday, Christmas', etc)... It's a great idea that the kids love! My little guy's favourite bedtime story is the superhero one that incorporates his picture and name as the hero... It's amazing watching their reaction to a book being about them
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #30
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

my daughter is getting pretty excited about seeing Santa.
the Santa we go to not only has a real beard, but they have a Mrs. Claus, too.

it's a good idea. having a woman there really helps put the little ones more at ease.

how do you guys label your gifts?

in my house we don't think it's fair that Santa gets all the credit, so Santa gives only one gift and anything else is from mom and dad.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 11-20-2019 at 07:25 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #31
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

We go about 50/50. Santa usually gives the fun gifts. Mom and Dad give the clothes, books, etc.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:45 AM   #32
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Santa gives the gifts the children ask for. It’s part of the magic, at least in our family. I’m not concerned about getting or needing credit. It’s not about that for me.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #33
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Stocking stuffers from Santa, big fun presents from mom & dad.

There's a bit of a movement out there asking for that to be the way gifts are given, the main reason being that kids that are less fortunate don't find themselves asking why Santa gave little Jimmy an XBox, but they only got socks and a book.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #34
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac98 View Post
Santa gives the gifts the children ask for. It’s part of the magic, at least in our family. I’m not concerned about getting or needing credit. It’s not about that for me.
One of my coworkers had the question from their kid asking why santa loves her friend more as her friend got tons of stuff and she only got a little.

we figured that this would eliminate that scenario. it does happen, and according to the mommy boards, more than you think.

plus let her know that even at Christmas she can't just ask santa and get everything she wants. she's learning that everything costs money, so gifts are limited and unfortunately it extends to birthdays and Christmas too.

thank god she's young enough that she doesn't care that her presents mostly comes from the thrift stores. she's just happy to get toys.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
It's 100% about that for me. Santa can give a little this or that, but I want my credit for giving the good gifts.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #36
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
One of my coworkers had the question from their kid asking why santa loves her friend more as her friend got tons of stuff and she only got a little.

we figured that this would eliminate that scenario. it does happen, and according to the mommy boards, more than you think.

plus let her know that even at Christmas she can't just ask santa and get everything she wants. she's learning that everything costs money, so gifts are limited and unfortunately it extends to birthdays and Christmas too.

thank god she's young enough that she doesn't care that her presents mostly comes from the thrift stores. she's just happy to get toys.

All perfectly fine answers my friend. To be fair though, your first post on topic seemed to indicate it was more about you wanting credit for the gifts and less about the teachings and equality for the less fortunate as supported in this reply.

All the same, there’s no wrong answer here. We all face different realities and provide our Christmas’ as we best deem fit and/or are able to.

I as well practice moderation and teaching of supporting less fortunate. My kids ask for 2,3 things a year from Santa as driven by me from an early age. Often a main gift and then something smaller like the newest ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid’ book for example.

We have helped out at the mustard seed, I have dressed up as a 6’2 220lbs elf spending Christmas Eve delivering meals and presents to the less fortunate through Rotary Club, we’ve gone to the Children’s Hospital and asked for a family to provide a wish list for their child, themselves, and their siblings and provided them a Christmas as all their money is tied up in medical fees, and every Christmas Eve as tradition we hit the Tim’s drive thru and buy the order of the person behind us and drive away before they can identify us or catch up to us to wave a thanks.

I am a big proponent of Christmas and work hard to have my children understand the true meanings. We also have many discussions around religion and visit church, but that’s a topic not for me as religion is very personal to all.

Whatever your method, you’re doing it right for you. Merry Christmas friend.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #37
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tell my kids Santa is a pretend story and all their presents come from mom and dad / grandma and grandpa. If you go with that from the start they don't seem to care, and kids have wild imaginations and still believe in Santa Claus anyway no matter what you tell them. Then when they finally realize he wasn't real all along, you don't have an awkward conversation about it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #38
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All perfectly fine answers my friend. To be fair though, your first post on topic seemed to indicate it was more about you wanting credit for the gifts and less about the teachings and equality for the less fortunate as supported in this reply.

All the same, there’s no wrong answer here. We all face different realities and provide our Christmas’ as we best deem fit and/or are able to.

I as well practice moderation and teaching of supporting less fortunate. My kids ask for 2,3 things a year from Santa as driven by me from an early age. Often a main gift and then something smaller like the newest ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid’ book for example.

We have helped out at the mustard seed, I have dressed up as a 6’2 220lbs elf spending Christmas Eve delivering meals and presents to the less fortunate through Rotary Club, we’ve gone to the Children’s Hospital and asked for a family to provide a wish list for their child, themselves, and their siblings and provided them a Christmas as all their money is tied up in medical fees, and every Christmas Eve as tradition we hit the Tim’s drive thru and buy the order of the person behind us and drive away before they can identify us or catch up to us to wave a thanks.

I am a big proponent of Christmas and work hard to have my children understand the true meanings. We also have many discussions around religion and visit church, but that’s a topic not for me as religion is very personal to all.

Whatever your method, you’re doing it right for you. Merry Christmas friend.
to be perfectly honest I do want some credit too, over santa.
even if it's just for the extra thank you's and extra hugs.
plus to be seen by your kid to be giving them something they want instead of usually saying no.
get to feel kinda like a hero.

I know family and love is more than about just giving things to kids, but it's nice to be able to do so sometimes.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #39
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I tell my kids Santa is a pretend story and all their presents come from mom and dad / grandma and grandpa. If you go with that from the start they don't seem to care, and kids have wild imaginations and still believe in Santa Claus anyway no matter what you tell them. Then when they finally realize he wasn't real all along, you don't have an awkward conversation about it.
makes sense, but I enjoy going along with the whole Santa is real thing. playing along actually brings back some of the fun of the season for me.

my wife offered to say that Santa gets enough milk and cookies and might like a glass of scotch, but I am fine with the traditional.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #40
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the point of having kids was to boost your ego when they do good things and blame your significant other when they act poorly?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote