Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #4041
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

These shows have ruined the Netflix thread.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #4042
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Ha ha - this is a shame watch for me, but there are live show threads on Reddit that make it so much fun. If you stay on the thread while you are watching the show it makes the experience so much better!
Watching Pillow Talk is pretty fun too.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #4043
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Altered Carbon S2 out, i finally decided to watch S1, which had been languishing on my list... pretty interesting show... the future dystopia is well done. Looking forward to watching season 2

Drive to Survive is a phenomenal show i would prefer a smaller focus with greater depth tho.... still just amazing visuals
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #4044
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
With Altered Carbon S2 out, i finally decided to watch S1, which had been languishing on my list... pretty interesting show... the future dystopia is well done. Looking forward to watching season 2

Drive to Survive is a phenomenal show i would prefer a smaller focus with greater depth tho.... still just amazing visuals
Altered Carbon S1 is a show that I really dont think gets enough love. I enjoyed everything about it, but I fully acknowledge that it took a few watches because things are jumping around everywhere.

I havent delved into S2 yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Also, I really want my own AI Hotel Concierge who pretends to be Edgar Allen Poe. He was awesome.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 11:36 AM   #4045
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

A rewatch of S1 of Altered Carbon made me like it more. It was much easier to follow. S2 was good too and a little more linear.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #4046
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My wife and I binged the new Netflix show "I am not okay with this". Stars the girl from the IT remakes.

Light hearted Coming of age story with a 'special powers' type twist.

It's based on a graphic novel and there are some major plot points that could be spoiled it if you Google it, so I would suggest going in Cold and letting it unfold.

Episodes are short and digestible.

Fun little show. Great soundtrack.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #4047
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Watched Uncut Gems this weekend and thought it was good. As others have said it is very 'loud'. There is a ton of dialogue and at a pretty high volume but I think that helps set the mood of the movie. A very different Adam Sandler than I have seen before and I thought he did a good job.
Finally watched it last night, yeah it was decent and Sandler did a good job which was nice to see. Agreed it's very loud though, and I found basically every character in the movie unlikable, which I think was the idea. They did a great job making you feel his anxiety and stress - who knew watching a scene about a simple malfunctioning door would have the viewer so stressed?

Overall I was disappointed as it wasn't what I was expecting, and I've never liked gambling so it's just so unrelatable for me, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize it was a good movie.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #4048
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Altered Carbon S1 is a show that I really dont think gets enough love. I enjoyed everything about it, but I fully acknowledge that it took a few watches because things are jumping around everywhere.

I havent delved into S2 yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Also, I really want my own AI Hotel Concierge who pretends to be Edgar Allen Poe. He was awesome.
Netflix's model of not promoting anything leaves shows needing word of mouth to gain traction... that said, the Netflix algorithms did green light season 2, so it must have had pretty solid ratings over the last couple of years, even if it didn't blow up right off the bat.

Not sure why i delayed so long in watching it; future dystopian movies are typically my wheelhouse.

Really intriguing and thought it was a great show though - excited for season 2, though i have heard its more action with less of the ideas on religion and the nature of the soul
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #4049
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was cracking out on old Arrested Development episodes, and finally got around to watching the later seasons. Have only watched the premiere of season 5 so I don't have an opinion on that one yet, but I actually thought season 4 was great!

I was surprised I liked S4 so much, as I kept hearing it was bad.. which is part of the reason it took me this long to get around to them. Granted, it seems Ron Howard has completely redone S4 so it flows like regular episodes, as opposed to each episode focusing on one character, as it was originally released. I could see it not being nearly as good like that.. it's hard to picture, frankly.

It's also weird seeing 6 years in between both S3 to S4, then another 6 years between S4 to S5, Michael Cera looks like a different person! Also funny to see GOB actually get better looking and way more in shape in S4 than he ever was in the original ones.. then in the premiere of S5, suddenly looking his true age now. It was jarring seeing the finale with him all in shape, then in the next episode he's more chunky and middle aged. Time ravages us all..

Last edited by Sainters7; 03-11-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #4050
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dirty Money Season 2 is out! I havent started watching yet but if you havent partaken in Season 1 there were some great episodes.

There was a VW episode, a Donald Trump episode, an HSBC Drug Cartel Money Laundering episode, an episode on Big Pharma and a particularly interesting take on the Malicious Cartel's of Quebec Maple Syrup and subsequent thefts and syrup bootlegging.

They are surprisingly dastardly.

Looking forward to a new season of Financial misdeeds.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:57 AM   #4051
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The girlfriend made me watch the first episode of Love is Blind. Immediately binged the whole season by myself.

I haven’t seen a train wreck quite like that in some time. Mark and Jessica were my favourites for all the wrong reasons.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #4052
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the "I Am Not Okay with This" recommendations. That was extremely bingeable.

There are some tropes from teen dramas and typical super hero plot holes but overall this was really funny, dark, and interesting putting a quirky twist on the angsty teen coming of age story. Oh and what an ending! My favourite things were the acting of Sophia Lillis, the epic foreshadowing, and Stanley Barber, possibly the most endearing character on Netflix.

Think I'll try Altered Carbon next.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #4053
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we all agree that The Chef Show might be the most self indulgent #### ever made?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #4054
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Can we all agree that The Chef Show might be the most self indulgent #### ever made?
Yeah, of course, but I don't blame him. I'm actually jealous that he got to travel and meet a bunch of great chefs to cook with, and Netflix paid him for it.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #4055
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I liked the new Castlevania season.

Watched a new anime series Beastars and it was pretty weird, even for me. Imagine a cross between Zootopia in high school and Watership Down. But it was interesting enough to watch the whole series.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 01:32 AM   #4056
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugly Delicious is really good and also terrible.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:49 AM   #4057
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Ugly Delicious is really good and also terrible.
I watched the first episode of season 2 and it was super boring and self indulgent. I had to turn it off. I remember season 1 being better though.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #4058
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going through Season 2 of the Formula 1; great show.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #4059
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Surprisingly one of my favourite Netflix shows of all time.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #4060
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Surprisingly one of my favourite Netflix shows of all time.
F1 ownership has been doing a lot of fan engagement on where to take the sport next and whether to continue with Netflix.

They recently released a Drive to Survive survey. It’s a bit of a PITA because you have to sign up but its fairly quick.

https://www.f1fanvoice.com/auth/sign_in
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote