Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #561
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good deal for the Flames, but I've got fond memories of Glencross. I feel badly for the guy. I was hoping things would work out in Washington.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #562
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is rough, Glencross is a guy that I thought would really ramp his game up in the playoffs but it looks like hes done the opposite.

Who knows, maybe Washington just wasnt a good fit.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #563
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Who knows, maybe Washington just wasnt a good fit.
Or maybe this is just who Glencross is and always was.

He's a streaky player who can give you some great flashes, but is not reliable enough to be counted on consistently. I don't think it was reasonable to think that his entire game will change just by going to a new team. Inevitably players go back to who they are.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #564
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Or maybe this is just who Glencross is and always was.

He's a streaky player who can give you some great flashes, but is not reliable enough to be counted on consistently. I don't think it was reasonable to think that his entire game will change just by going to a new team. Inevitably players go back to who they are.
Hes definitely that, I was just expecting more from a vet with his experience in the playoffs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #565
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hes definitely that, I was just expecting more from a vet with his experience in the playoffs.
Well before this year, he had 6 career playoff games, so Im not sure playoff experience is really something he can boast of. And maybe I have selective memory, but I don't really recall him to be much of a"big-game" player either. Some guys can turn on a switch and be good when needed...I'm not sure he's that guy. I think it's just simply a case of him just not being that good anymore. He's 32 after all.

The Flames were definitely smart to cut bait when they did. I'm sure they would've earlier if the NTC allowed them to.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #566
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Well before this year, he had 6 career playoff games, so Im not sure playoff experience is really something he can boast of. And maybe I have selective memory, but I don't really recall him to be much of a"big-game" player either. Some guys can turn on a switch and be good when needed...I'm not sure he's that guy. I think it's just simply a case of him just not being that good anymore. He's 32 after all.

The Flames were definitely smart to cut bait when they did. I'm sure they would've earlier if the NTC allowed them to.
Normally you cant make that argument decisively without hindsight, but in this instance I think you're 100% correct. We took what we could, didnt skip a beat and replaced him with up-and-coming youth.

If someone were to ask me right now, cap hits notwithstanding, which player I would take between Lance Bouma and Curtis Glencross my answer would be Bouma 10 times out of 10. Being able to make that selection with the addition of a 2nd and 3rd round pick is simply luxury.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #567
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully he finds a fit elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers went after him (if they even have any cap space).
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #568
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's back in.

Quote:
Washington Capitals forward Curtis Glencross will play in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference First Round against the New York Islanders on Monday at Verizon Center (7:30 p.m. ET; NBCSN, SN, TVA Sports 2, MSG+, CSN-DC), Capitals coach Barry Trotz said. "He can be a difference maker for us," Trotz said. "He's a guy that has scored big goals and he's new blood into the lineup, which is good. He can play a real gritty game, he can score some goals. I'm expecting him to be a good player for us tonight."
Glencross was scratched for three games because he wasn't playing at an acceptable level, according to Trotz. But with injured forward Eric Fehr unavailable for Game 7, Washington will lean on Glencross' experience.
Quote:
"It's the biggest game of my career," Glencross said. "I'm excited to get back in there and have a good night tonight."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...id=DL|NHL|home
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #569
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much is a GWG in a game 7 worth to Glencross as a UFA? Could be a lot.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #570
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How much is a GWG in a game 7 worth to Glencross as a UFA? Could be a lot.
Zero unless Washington decides to slightly beat another teams bid based on the goal.

Teams do not overpay based on 1 goal for a guy who was benched.

Unless. Wait. The Oilers are still in the league? It would be worth about 22 million.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #571
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Zero unless Washington decides to slightly beat another teams bid based on the goal.

Teams do not overpay based on 1 goal for a guy who was benched.

Unless. Wait. The Oilers are still in the league? It would be worth about 22 million.
$36M actually. 6 x 6
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #572
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sure as hell wouldn't give him a big contract, not even sure I would give him league min at this point
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote