Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #61
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
two, because the Colts would get incredible offers from teams like the Jets, Broncos etc to draft either Rosen or Darnold.

The Browns have been gifted a second top 5 pick - that's a huge opportunity, and I wouldn't get cute because of it. A QB at 1 and a safety or pass rusher (Garrett/Chubb would be an unreal duo) at 4 ... that's amazing. I don't know, drafting Barkley and then betting on a project likr Allen or a wildcard like Mayfield just seems stupid to me.

It would have to be a "blow your socks off" kind of offer though...as there is no scenario where i see Indy giving up a chance to draft Chubb at 3.

How much would either the Jets or Broncos give up to move 2 or 3 spots when its possible one of those guys is there in their allotted spot? There is a couple other teams that could get in on it though..that much is for sure, but even if they do Cleveland will have their choice of at least 2 of those guys, and maybe even Jackson if they like his game more.

I dunno...with seeing what Elliot in Dallas Hunt in KC, and Fournette in Jax and others have done for their QB's and turn around the programs they joined, I think Cleveland would be nuts to miss out on SB who looks like a complete and utter stud of a player. He's certainly a very very cerebral guy who could handle the whole factory of sadness tag that comes with turning that franchise around.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #62
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

I dunno...with seeing what Elliot in Dallas Hunt in KC, and Fournette in Jax and others have done for their QB's and turn around the programs they joined, I think Cleveland would be nuts to miss out on SB who looks like a complete and utter stud of a player. He's certainly a very very cerebral guy who could handle the whole factory of sadness tag that comes with turning that franchise around.
That's a bit of a hit and miss list. Elliot and Fornette were both top 5 picks whereas Hunt was a third round guy. Todd Gurley was a higher first round pick, and had a really good rookie season, bad sophomore year, but phenominal season last year. Alvin Kamara was a 3rd round pick too, and he was the OROY. So good backs can be had later.

Some of the personnel evaluations that I've seen on Barkley suggest he's the best player to be in the draft in the past 10 years. So from that perspective, passing on that type of talent might just be too much to overlook. Especially since they have the #4 pick too, and I'm not so sure that any one QB has separated himself form the Field.

In the Dallas example you cite above...they took the Superior athlete at 4 as the running back, than waited for the QB later on in a class that didn't necessarily have any one guy standing out as a pick me guy. In the past two years we've seen that a decent enough QB with good pieces around him can produce a winning team.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #63
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
That's a bit of a hit and miss list. Elliot and Fornette were both top 5 picks whereas Hunt was a third round guy. Todd Gurley was a higher first round pick, and had a really good rookie season, bad sophomore year, but phenominal season last year. Alvin Kamara was a 3rd round pick too, and he was the OROY. So good backs can be had later.

Some of the personnel evaluations that I've seen on Barkley suggest he's the best player to be in the draft in the past 10 years. So from that perspective, passing on that type of talent might just be too much to overlook. Especially since they have the #4 pick too, and I'm not so sure that any one QB has separated himself form the Field.

In the Dallas example you cite above...they took the Superior athlete at 4 as the running back, than waited for the QB later on in a class that didn't necessarily have any one guy standing out as a pick me guy. In the past two years we've seen that a decent enough QB with good pieces around him can produce a winning team.

Yeah thats my thinking as well. Barkley looks like the best "football player" by a decent margin and one of the best to come along in a decade. Every team who could draft him..should. Deal with the excess or lack of other positions later.

Good point on Hunt, but with Kamara I doubt he has anywhere near the same success without the threat of Ingram there as well...who was 1st rd pick.

I dunno...seems like a no-brainer to me to take SB. Maybe its because i have followed him a bit the last couple years and just thoroughly enjoy the guy. I know his character is likely the best of the entire draft class as well. As mentioned in that USAToday breakdown, he is unquestionably the type of guy who could carry the whole "face of the franchise" thing for Cleveland.

Guys like that are so rare when you see that type of talent, work ethic and off field accomplishments.

Last edited by transplant99; 03-08-2018 at 03:46 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #64
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

FFS, NFL, get your #### together. It's 2018.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/footb...interview.html
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #65
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah thats my thinking as well. Barkley looks like the best "football player" by a decent margin and one of the best to come along in a decade. Every team who could draft him..should. Deal with the excess or lack of other positions later.

Good point on Hunt, but with Kamara I doubt he has anywhere near the same success without the threat of Ingram there as well...who was 1st rd pick.

I dunno...seems like a no-brainer to me to take SB. Maybe its because i have followed him a bit the last couple years and just thoroughly enjoy the guy. I know his character is likely the best of the entire draft class as well. As mentioned in that USAToday breakdown, he is unquestionably the type of guy who could carry the whole "face of the franchise" thing for Cleveland.

Guys like that are so rare when you see that type of talent, work ethic and off field accomplishments.
It's the Browns. He will be a bust because #FactoryOfSadness
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #66
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
It's the Browns. He will be a bust because #FactoryOfSadness
I get it, and it's certainly not rare to believe that.

I just think with the whole new administration starting with Dorsey and the hires he has made this off-season, that they have the right guys there now to truly turn it around...and quickly.

If Haslem can stay out of the way which he has said he will do, I think they can become a solid team..lord knows they have some great pieces to do so. And those fans...they deserve it.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #67
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I get it, and it's certainly not rare to believe that.

I just think with the whole new administration starting with Dorsey and the hires he has made this off-season, that they have the right guys there now to truly turn it around...and quickly.

If Haslem can stay out of the way which he has said he will do, I think they can become a solid team..lord knows they have some great pieces to do so. And those fans...they deserve it.
Agreed, with some solid management in place, if they make 2 good picks in the 1st and hit on another pick perhaps and spend up to or close to the cap, i dont see why they cant win that division within a couple years. things would have to go right which doesnt happen to the Browns but with Dorsey and some good football minds there, it could actually happen
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #68
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Browns are positioned, where one good draft, and they could very well be a much improved team. They are a bit like the Jaguars were in which their is talent in place. They have loads of cap space, and better management. Unlike the Jaguars...they new GM/President, whatever didn't get to bring in his guy to coach the team. But they also have 2 picks in the top 4, which is extremely rare.

Although in the case of Jacksonville, I think Khan in his short time has been reasonably hands off, and was quite patient with Gus Bradley. Likely a big reason why a guy like Coughlin would agree to go work for him. Dorsey isn't Coughlin, but I have to think he's well respected enough around the league to a point where Cleveland was the only way he was going to feed his family sort of thing.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #69
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait...the Browns are now well-managed? The same team that opted not to fire their head coach who has gone 1-31 in two seasons and has looked completely overwhelmed in the process? If anyone can screw their situation up, it's the Browns.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #70
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Wait...the Browns are now well-managed? The same team that opted not to fire their head coach who has gone 1-31 in two seasons and has looked completely overwhelmed in the process? If anyone can screw their situation up, it's the Browns.
I prefer to give a management team more than a couple months before declaring them incompetent.

I suspect that Haslem made the call on Hue Jackson so this will be his last year to show if he can do the job or not. If whackadoodle Jimmy stays out of the way and just allows really good football men to do their jobs, Cleveland could become relevant in short order.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #71
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Lots of stuff going on around the league.

Quote:
The Denver Broncos are trading Pro Bowl cornerback Aqib Talib to the Los Angeles Rams, the NFL Network reported Thursday, citing sources.

The Broncos will receive a fifth-round pick in the 2018 draft for Talib, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Quote:
Sam Shields' NFL comeback will start with the Los Angeles Rams, who announced Thursday that they signed the former Green Bay Packers cornerback.

Shields, 30, didn't play last season after the Packers released him in February. Before he was released, he had played in just one game in 2016 and missed four games in 2015 because of concussions.
Quote:
The Tennessee Titans have told running back DeMarco Murray that he will be released, the team announced Thursday.

Murray, 30, has been the Titans' lead back the past two seasons, including in 2016, when he was the AFC's leading rusher with 1,287 yards.
Quote:
Backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Buccaneers have agreed to terms on a one-year deal.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #72
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I prefer to give a management team more than a couple months before declaring them incompetent.

I suspect that Haslem made the call on Hue Jackson so this will be his last year to show if he can do the job or not. If whackadoodle Jimmy stays out of the way and just allows really good football men to do their jobs, Cleveland could become relevant in short order.
I just hope Hue doesn't ruin whoever they draft this year. An offense with Mayfield at QB, Barkley at RB, and Gordon and Coleman at WR could be incredibly entertaining to watch.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #73
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy the addition of both Peters and Talib in the same offseason could be a challenge for McVay in regards to maintaining locker room chemistry.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #74
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Boy the addition of both Peters and Talib in the same offseason could be a challenge for McVay in regards to maintaining locker room chemistry.
Talib can only help the chemistry. By all accounts a fantastic teammate. He'll be a positive influence on Peters if the latter will let him.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #75
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Talib has never been a bad locker room guy, he just gets himself arrested and in legal problems a lot. Bold for the Rams, but if it all works out you'd have to consider them the favorites in the NFC.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #76
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the NFC west wide open after the Qb and coach change in Ari, Seattle’s gutting of the defense and coaching staff kicking off a rebuild, Jimmy G an unproven hope in SF, surprised the Rams are rocking the boat.

Quinn and Ogletree were solid tough players on a very good defense, a defense that really was the main reason they got to the top of the mountain. Sure the offence came alive under McVey but that defense had been great for a few years and was overshadowed last year by the offense...and without them they don’t win the division. Ogletree just signed an extension. To dump them and bring in a couple talented, but ego driven corners?

Philips must know what he’s doing, but going status quo for the most part with an already rock solid defense imo would’ve been a better move for the year to see where it goes. I know there may be cap issues, but again, you make due for this year, as you’re just done breaking through in the division and are favourites to win again thanks to that defense, and now you’ve fundamentally changed it.

Last edited by browna; 03-08-2018 at 08:41 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:47 AM   #77
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks are likely to release four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Richard Sherman on Friday, a source told ESPN.
Crazy.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...sherman-friday
Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #78
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He has now been released. Seahawks are a shell of their former selves.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #79
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another trade for the Eagles. Torrey Smith for Daryl Worley. Busyoffseason for the SB champs
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #80
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Another trade for the Eagles. Torrey Smith for Daryl Worley. Busyoffseason for the SB champs
Another odd trade but I like it. Eagles were going to release Smith anyways so good to get something for him.