Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #2041
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
He'll probably get $45M over four years or something. He'll be fine.
I'm skeptical he will get $45 million guaranteed as the Steelers offered him $70 million with about $34 guaranteed. I just don't see what he gained from this outside of being healthy for free agency. He's not going to recoup the $14.5 million he lost this season and he won't be quite as quick of a runner as he was in 2017 because he's going to be 27 in February and it's the nature of the position they age in dog years so he's got one or two prime years left and I'm not sure how many teams are going to want to guarantee him a contract into 30. I won't be surprised if an idiot like Gruden offers him an overpayment but if he's not likely to land with a Super Bowl contender with his money expectations and maybe he's okay with that. It's going to be really interesting to see how things shake out for him in free agency.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #2042
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Watch the game in LA get postponed because the smoke from the fires makes it unsafe. What a debacle for the league and it could get worse.
The grass has been an issue in Mexico City for two straight years. Not sure why the NFL wasn't more involved with getting the field prepared this season.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #2043
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

phhhhffffttt concacaf'd

NFL ain't real until they're playing games in San Pedro Sula at 2PM.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #2044
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm skeptical he will get $45 million guaranteed as the Steelers offered him $70 million with about $34 guaranteed. I just don't see what he gained from this outside of being healthy for free agency. He's not going to recoup the $14.5 million he lost this season and he won't be quite as quick of a runner as he was in 2017 because he's going to be 27 in February and it's the nature of the position they age in dog years so he's got one or two prime years left and I'm not sure how many teams are going to want to guarantee him a contract into 30. I won't be surprised if an idiot like Gruden offers him an overpayment but if he's not likely to land with a Super Bowl contender with his money expectations and maybe he's okay with that. It's going to be really interesting to see how things shake out for him in free agency.
If he suffered a torn ACL this year, he ends up probably losing $20M-$30M, so I do think it was a wise gamble on his part. He also picked a good year to do this because I would argue that 8 of the 10 teams with the most cap space in 2019 have big holes at RB. The man is going to get paid.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #2045
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And it's not like Bell has a reputation as a loafer or anything, he plays hard when he's out there. He's also an elite receiving threat, and one of the best pass blocking backs in the league. This is also a league where criminal behavior is tolerated if the talent is there. Holding out isn't even close to some of the #### NFL teams overlook when giving guys deals.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #2046
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I'm surprised he didn't report. Thought he'd come in and burn the contract year.

But as the better teams do....the Steelers find a less expensive nearly as effective replacement.

As most bad teams do...someone else will pay big Monday to try and buy yesterday's production that's likely not there. Although there probably are two to three good years left. Can't hurt to have a guy like Peterson having a resurgent year. Bell has less mileage and less injuries so someone will think they can get high end production.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #2047
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

If there's one thing the whole debacle has taught me as a pretty pedestrian fan, it's that the O-line is probably just as, perhaps more important than the RBs themselves. Throw Bell on the raiders, let's see how that goes
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #2048
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
If he suffered a torn ACL this year, he ends up probably losing $20M-$30M, so I do think it was a wise gamble on his part. He also picked a good year to do this because I would argue that 8 of the 10 teams with the most cap space in 2019 have big holes at RB. The man is going to get paid.
Maybe. I did just read an article on SI about how he could become the new Kapernick in that the owners don't want guys to take the same route and collude for him to stay out of the league or sign a really small contract.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #2049
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Maybe. I did just read an article on SI about how he could become the new Kapernick in that the owners don't want guys to take the same route and collude for him to stay out of the league or sign a really small contract.
That's a stretc. Kaepernick had become a backup QB by the time he got frozen out, Bell would be fighting with Gurley for first RB taken if the NFL had a fantasy draft of actual players. Too many teams who need a RB have too much cap space this summer for him to not get paid.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #2050
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
If there's one thing the whole debacle has taught me as a pretty pedestrian fan, it's that the O-line is probably just as, perhaps more important than the RBs themselves. Throw Bell on the raiders, let's see how that goes
I don't think there's many elements that are more important than the O-line. RBs are rather replaceable.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1062446558183124992

RBs really aren't that high on the list if you want to build a winning team. Their careers are generally pretty short and you can get a lot of production out of later round picks. Kamara, Hunt and Conner were all 3rd round picks. Hell, Matt Breida and Philip Lindsay were undrafted and are the 7th and 8th best RBs this year in terms of yardage. Sucks for Bell, but most RBs are replaceable - even good ones. Good luck trying to replace a top left tackle or pass rusher instead.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #2051
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Absolutely. It can't be discounted that the Steelers OL is maybe the best run blocking line in the league. I think Bell is still a very good player but his numbers are going to decline on pretty well every other team. With Gruden I really have no idea if he would offer Bell a big contract but I wouldn't rule it out. It would be a disaster but that seems to be Gruden's MO thus far.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #2052
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Coaching is probably a bigger factor. Todd Gurley looked awful in his second year on Jeff Fisher's Rams team. Bring in Sean McVey and he's considered the beat back in the league.

The Chiefs have a mediocre offensive line. But they have good coaching and play design's that still let their skill players make plays. Dallas on the other hand has talent on the line but mediocre coaching that has not made the most of a player like Elliott.

Generally an offensive line is as good as its weakest player. Defences know when they have a weakness that they can exploit. But when you get a unit like what Pittsburgh has that's solid throughout with good coaching there are a lot of backs who can be productive.

15 years ago the Chiefs had the best offence in the league with only two elite skill position players in Priest Holmes and Tony Gonzalez. But they had all pros on the offensive line and a good scheme that made guys like Trent Green and Eddie Kennison look like all pro talent.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #2053
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Pretty good Thursday nighter goin on....21-17 Packers at the half.

Rodgers starting to look like his old self and the Hawks getting back to running the ball really well.

Loser is likely done.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 PM   #2054
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Green Bay should have challenged that reception
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #2055
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

DAZN ####ting the bed as usual.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #2056
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Green Bay should have gone for it 4th and 2

Old 11-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #2057
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why do they even bother at this point with the qb kneels... they should just end the game at 2 minutes left in this situation.

I think his is how the last 3 nfl games I’ve watched end.... kneels from 2 minutes to end...
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #2058
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big win by Seattle. Still in tough for a wild card after the two tough losses vs the Rams but headed in right direction. Wilson puts it together in the second half after a tepid first half.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #2059
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

McCarthy really dropped the ball in this one. No challenge when he should have and agreed Girly....in that spot you go for it as your D is in shambles because of injuries and Seattle running the ball at will means you aint getting the ball back.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #2060
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
McCarthy really dropped the ball in this one. No challenge when he should have and agreed Girly....in that spot you go for it as your D is in shambles because of injuries and Seattle running the ball at will means you aint getting the ball back.
And you've got Rodgers. Put the game in his hands.