Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #41
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Trade Tyler Johnson
Still only leaves them with 15mil. Need to sign 5 forwards, 6 if you trade Johnson, and 1 dman.
flamesgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #42
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

They'll be putting Callahn on LTIR. With Miller and Callahan they've saved over 10M cap space already.

They have 40 in forwards, 20 in defensemen, 4.65M in goalies and 1.8M in buyouts for a total of ~66M.

They need to sign Point, but assuming they let Stralman walk, no one really else of major importance this year. Next year they'll need to sign Sergachev and Vasilevskiy but for this year alone they could afford Point and Pavelski without moving anyone other than Johnson (if that's the route they go).
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #43
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Boring is definitely for better. Free agency is like a sugar high for fans. We all get excited that our team may be in on some big names and when they bring in a new guy it brings with it optimism. In the long run it usually ends up as a regretful period for the team and fans as the majority of the contracts handed out on the first week of free agency turn out bad for teams. It's a week that's more for players to cash in than than where teams actually better. Teams get better these days via the draft and trades as when's the last time the Flames got better after free agency? Hudler or Frolik? Not exactly a ringing endorsement for free agency. The best signings are usually the under the radar signings in the later weeks where the contract values are more inline with expected player performance.
It's one of those binge drinking nights with friends as a teenager where you convince yourself it'll be the greateat thing ever and that brutal morning after is the following season.

That said if the Flames could conceivably move cap to orchestrate bringing in a Panarin, Duchene or Lee, although unlikely, then you're getting a guy that will justify the arm and leg you paid in the first couple seasons at least because they have a skill level you dont often get with FAs.

It's overpaying for middling/second tier ones that don't really move the needle at the end of the day that you want to avoid.

Eg. Ferland. Only at a discount.

I'd rather we pull off a good hockey trade with contracts going both ways that doesn't add to the cap.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #44
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
They'll be putting Callahn on LTIR. With Miller and Callahan they've saved over 10M cap space already.

They have 40 in forwards, 20 in defensemen, 4.65M in goalies and 1.8M in buyouts for a total of ~66M.

They need to sign Point, but assuming they let Stralman walk, no one really else of major importance this year. Next year they'll need to sign Sergachev and Vasilevskiy but for this year alone they could afford Point and Pavelski without moving anyone other than Johnson (if that's the route they go).
How much do you see Pavelski and Point signing for? Because I still can’t see it.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #45
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames have to dump Brodie or Hamonic to play in the UFA market it will be a huge mistake.

Gio-Hanifin-brodie/Hamonic leaves the Flames in the Canucks category of Defense:

Elder/Tanev/Myers

After that Andersen-Valimaki-Stone is arguably the same as Stecher-Hughes-Hutton

Maybe Valimaki is a top-2/4 guy ... just the same as Hughes might the same.

The Flames advantage last season was that they had 4-dmen that could play in the top-2. Not a lot of teams that could do that.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #46
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pavelski might be looking to win which significantly impacts projected contract values.

I could see pavelski and point signing for a combined 14-15 million.

Pavelski to Tampa wasn't on my radar at all until reading this thread but now that I've read it I can't think of a better destination for him.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #47
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Trade Brodie if you can better your center position in return.

Our prospects on D are good, on a nice trajectory and will fill the holes in relatively short order.

I don't like the Canucks fringe guys nearly as much leading up to this draft.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #48
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
How much do you see Pavelski and Point signing for? Because I still can’t see it.
Pavelski is 35. He could be signed to a very favourable cap-hit if they put on some term, especially in Tampa where the tax-rate makes his equivalent take him pay elsewhere significantly more.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #49
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree he would be a nice fit. But I don’t see him taking much of a discount to leave San Jose. I see it as him leaving San Jose to maximize what may be his last contract.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #50
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames could, I would love to go for Pavelski. Perfect top 6 C/RW option that could either slot in on the line with Monahan or could be switching draws with Lindholm on a different line. He has a lot of playoff experience, something that the Flames desperately need.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #51
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I think Pavelski and his agent are well aware of Tampa's cap situation. If they are going to make the trip to Tampa to meet with the lightning, they know the ballpark of what Tampa can offer salary wise and are open to it.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #52
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I don’t see how we’re going to be players in the UFA market. Unless we can move either Brodie or Frolik without taking any contract in return, we’re going to be right up against the cap just re-signing Tkachuk, Rittich, Bennett and Mangiapane.

Freeing up Neal’s contract space is nothing more than a pipe dream. I also wouldn't mind re-signing Hathaway too, which is 100% not what I was saying early in the season.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #53
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
I agree he would be a nice fit. But I don’t see him taking much of a discount to leave San Jose. I see it as him leaving San Jose to maximize what may be his last contract.
But San Jose doesn't have much cap space as is either. Less than 15M to sign 7 forwards and a defenseman. Meier's contract won't come cheap, and to lesser extent neither would Labanc and Thornton.

Even if Meier takes an Ehler-like 6M contract, that's now 9M to sign 7 players. 3.5M for Labanc. Now they have to get the rest of their 6 player signed at league minimum, including Jumbo...

Maybe they try to save their cap with some bridge-deals, or look to move a big contract, but there's pretty much no situation in which Pavelski could be re-signed by the Sharks outside a massive massive discount.

So if it's between the Lightning and Sharks, the Lightning could offer him the bigger contract with less tax and a better shot at the Cup.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #54
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I don’t see how we’re going to be players in the UFA market.
I think that is a blessing in disguise. Those UFA contracts always look ugly after a few years. I'm with dissen towner on this. No big splashes this off season.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #55
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do Tampa need to be compliant on day 1, before they put callahan on LTIR?
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

RE: Panarin...

I know some guys with a van and a concerning supply of burlap sacks. I know better than to ask where the sacks came from, all I can say is that I think a meeting can be arranged.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #57
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
That all got weird once Toronto started placing players on LTIR during the off-season according to Lou. They do got several waiver exempt players though, depending on the makeup of the team come regular season, that can be put down and called up on paper.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #58
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
RE: Panarin...

I know some guys with a van and a concerning supply of burlap sacks. I know better than to ask where the sacks came from, all I can say is that I think a meeting can be arranged.
Are you saying that we use Panarin's legendary love of collecting burlap sacks to lure him to Calgary for a meeting? Brilliant!
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #59
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
But you can always send down a bunch of young guys for the day to be compliant. Teams do it all the time.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #60
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

What are people’s thoughts on moving Backlund and Frolik for a 2C upgrade?

I mean, I loves me some Backlund, but I honestly believe he’s a 3C on any team that would be considered a contender. Since there’s zero chance of a 1C upgrade, 2C seems like a target to me.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote