Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 GMs recommend Hockey Ops take over goalie interference. Vote no change on offsides

https://twitter.com/user/status/976144637500055552

https://twitter.com/user/status/976145151595765760

https://twitter.com/user/status/976149375801069568
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

ugh
Benched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

glacial speed
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good!

Situation Room can set a standard, rather than have every ref game to game dictate what they feel constitutes goalie interference while "managing the game". Heck, use refs in the situation room every night - but use the same ones so there's sizeable change game to game.

I'm also totally fine with offside remaining as-is. It's a black and white rule.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

I'm also totally fine with offside remaining as-is. It's a black and white rule.
It isn't fine, it is broken and ridiculous.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am OK with the Ops taking over the goalie interference reviews. However; it should be mandatory for the league to post each review decision online to keep them accountable for consistency of applying the interference criteria regardless of the player/goalie involved and regardless of the game importance/status.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I disagree with this. Rules are what provides the structure for the sport to shine. Having it as a black and white rule is the way it was written, they can just better confirm what was and wasn't offside now - and that's a good thing.

I mean...you'd think Flames fans would understand this desire more than others. It's a game of inches, and getting the right call - down to the inch, to the cm - it's important. It's cold and hard, but it means that no mistakes happen.

If your argument is about "that's not the spirit of the rule" well...if you want to talk about the spirit of rules, rather than rules, you have to be fine with what we have now. A game being ruined by referees controlling the spirit of the game by managing how they call the game. It's bad, and it's wrong.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree with this. Rules are what provides the structure for the sport to shine. Having it as a black and white rule is the way it was written, they can just better confirm what was and wasn't offside now - and that's a good thing.

I mean...you'd think Flames fans would understand this desire more than others. It's a game of inches, and getting the right call - down to the inch, to the cm - it's important. It's cold and hard, but it means that no mistakes happen.

If your argument is about "that's not the spirit of the rule" well...if you want to talk about the spirit of rules, rather than rules, you have to be fine with what we have now. A game being ruined by referees controlling the spirit of the game by managing how they call the game. It's bad, and it's wrong.
Do you think then that we should go to instant replay for icing...or like hooking, slashing etc
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I tend to agree that the review is broken and ridiculous...

My opinion would be if the offside is challenged, the linesmen need to review it an NORMAL speed. If they can tell they made a mistake, than so be it. If not, call stands.

I hate this "blade is 1mm off the ice" challenge. I don't think that's what the offside rule was originally planned to fix.

It's a fast game and linesmen do the best they can at that speed, so if they are going to allow challenges, it should be at full speed.

Note: the only thing I'm ok going to slow motion replay for is whether a puck crossed the goal line. That's it.

Last edited by Lord Carnage; 03-20-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: fix grammer
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Carnage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post
My opinion would be if the offside is challenged, the linesmen need to review it an NORMAL speed. If they can tell they made a mistake, than so be it. If not, call stands.
What? That makes no sense. Either you're offside or you're not, it doesn't matter what speed you see it at.

I think they've made the right decisions here.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #11
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

in that case, then instead of taking away reviews, they should continue adding to it until like you said, every inch of play is scrutinized to make sure it's perfectly exact. for example, all line changes should be challengeable by coaches, to ensure that the player coming off the bench does not hit the ice even one tenth of a second before the incoming player tags up. also on icing calls, they should be able to review the defenceman's exact fitness level and maximum theoretical skating speed for their shift length at the time to determine whether they really could have caught up to the puck or not. after all, it is as you say, a game of inches.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #12
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rule is fine, review of offsides needs to die in a fire.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #13
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
What? That makes no sense. Either you're offside or you're not, it doesn't matter what speed you see it at.

I think they've made the right decisions here.

I guess I'm ok with that level of imperfection. Takes the spirit out of the game if you're nitpicking every single little thing.

As someone else pointed out, then why don't we start using reviews to assess penalties too?

"Did it cross the goal line?" is the only question I support viewing in slo-mo.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only part of the offside rule is that they should make it a fully vertical line. I really dislike the needing to keep the foot down rule. As long as it is hanging over the line at the very least, it should be onside.

I think having the foot completely on the ice doesn't really serve to benefit the spirit of the rule.
the-rasta-masta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #15
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand why they don't get rid of the challenges and say we will review all scoring plays. They already are looking at close plays if a ref misses something. Recently the Flames scored a goal that the refs missed it and the war room got in touch with the time keeper to sound the horn to stop the play.

Probably 90% of the goals can be given the thumbs up in 5 seconds. Just do what the NFL does and buzz the ref on the close plays so he doesn't drop the puck.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Rule is fine, review of offsides needs to die in a fire.
Yeah, I agree. It seems unbalanced that it can only take away goals. Wrongly blowing a play offside that takes away a scoring chance can affect the game just as much. And it's not like the scoring team has an unfair advantage because they were a mm offside.

That call on the ice needs to stand otherwise it is somewhat unfair to the attacking team that if they score, it is not going to count, but if they give up a turnover, the other team's goal will count.

Last edited by nfotiu; 03-20-2018 at 02:03 PM.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #17
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Unless you want to review every potential offside, icing and penalty I just don't see the logic in this. Why do we only care about a missed offside if a goal is scored on that entry? Don't all missed offside calls affect the game?

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #18
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I think having the foot completely on the ice doesn't really serve to benefit the spirit of the rule.
It's no different than a receiver having to touch down inbounds. Hovering doesn't count. Pretty simple rule that hockey players have had to deal with since pee wee. The speed of the game and the attempt to carry speed in to the zone make it hard but that's too bad. imo
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #19
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
It's no different than a receiver having to touch down inbounds. Hovering doesn't count. Pretty simple rule that hockey players have had to deal with since pee wee. The speed of the game and the attempt to carry speed in to the zone make it hard but that's too bad. imo

Not to mention, having people hang their skates over the line at thigh level to stay onsite increases the risk of being cut.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Carnage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #20
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kill any review except for goals and let the situation room handle those on their own. They will let the refs know if they are reviewing a questionable goal - otherwise the game continues as normal.

I thought I'd like video review to "get things right", but after seeing multiple sports bring in and continue to expand video review, the more I wish it just went away all together. Ruins the flow of the game and when you can barely tell what happened in HD in slow motion, then it was close enough for the ref to simply make a judgement call. These things will balance out over time and we can just appreciate that humans are making calls and there will be errors.