Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 03-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Adam Fox signing watch thread. UPD: Announces he will return to Harvard next season

Adam Fox's 2nd year of college hockey is done after an OT loss in the ECAC semifinals. Now begins the watch to see if he signs.

There has been no credible information on whether he is leaning on signing or not.

The options:

1. Do not sign and go back to Harvard for at least another year. Flames draft rights expire on August 15, 2020.

2. Sign a 3 year NHL ELC that starts in the 17/18 season. First year of his ELC will be used up ("Burned") for this season. He will be eligible to play in NHL regular season games and NHL playoffs. He will not be eligible to join the AHL at all for the remainder of this season.

3. Sign a 3 year NHL ELC that starts in the 18/19 season. He won't be eligible to play in NHL regular season games or NHL playoff games. His contract won't start until 18/19, so all 3 years remain until July 1st. He can play AHL games in Stockton for the rest of the season by joining them on an ATO.

Don't expect a quick decision. He may have to think about it and is coming off a tough loss. There also isn't really any rush to sign him (e.g. Gaudreau) as there is still plenty of time to get him into pro games this season.

News Update

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames news: D Adam Fox, one of Calgary's most intriguing prospects, will return to Harvard next season. "For right now, just staying and focusing on school and hockey, that’s my focus."

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-22-2018 at 04:58 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sign that man!
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 02:19 AM   #3
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 03-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if Fox signs it would help cushion the blow of losing a potetinal lottery pick. Would be a shame if Brodie, Hamonic, Stone, make Fox not wanna sign here. Fox could run a better PP than Brodie right now.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t see it at the time. Giving away so much for Hamonic when we already had Stone and a deep pipeline of defence prospects was stupid.

And yeah, when Fox looks at the log jam why would he sign right now?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames D is overrated. I'm hoping Fox and his agent see that and realize there's plenty of room.

Outside of maybe 2 pieces, no one is untouchable.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
Flames D is overrated. I'm hoping Fox and his agent see that and realize there's plenty of room.

Outside of maybe 2 pieces, no one is untouchable.
Dealing from strength for a RW would have solved a couple of problems. Maybe he fixes that in the off season.

Even the GMing was crappy this season by BTs standards.

Thankfully we had a few heroic performances to cheer from our guys. Now it’s back to getting pumped for prospects like Fox.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Getting pumped up for prospects is pretty much all we have to look forward to (and a huge trade this summer) till fall...
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Getting pumped up for prospects is pretty much all we have to look forward to (and a huge trade this summer) till fall...
And of course, that long awaited coaching change.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #10
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Knowing this season he will go back to the NCAA.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whether Fox signs this off season or not, I hold the opinion that the defense should get a makeover in order to bring in either offensive firepower, early round draft picks, and/or blue chip offensive prospects.

Gio and Kulak I expect to stay. Hamilton I would like to have stay since he's been a productive offensive forward which are very valuable, but if he can bring in assets that help now and in the future, then it may be worth it to trade him also.

It's time to make use of our supposive great defensive prospects. Hopefully Fox will sign and we'll get to see him next season. But if not, I'm not worried yet, and hold faith that he'll sign next season or even the next one then. There's plenty of room for him.

Last edited by Joborule; 03-17-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #12
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know what he is taking for classes at Harvard but I have a hard time being convinced he is going to sign early. I'm fully expecting Fox to stay the full 4 years and will be amazed if he signs early. It's a Harvard freaking degree.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #13
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Don't know what he is taking for classes at Harvard but I have a hard time being convinced he is going to sign early. I'm fully expecting Fox to stay the full 4 years and will be amazed if he signs early. It's a Harvard freaking degree.
Economics.

He is a really really smart kid.

I remember reading something along the lines of him learning the zulu language...just for fun. IIRC he also was taking latin at some point.

Edit: here is the article...he chose zulu as a language requirement.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...rvard-prospect

Last edited by transplant99; 03-17-2018 at 10:48 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well if it’s Economics, he’ll understand that in order to maximize his lifetime earnings, he should sign now and if he really wants a degree, take it in the summers or when his NHL career is over.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tacoman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #15
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Harvard Hockey is his means to an end. Guess we will find out soon if the end is to play pro hockey for $$$ or use his hockey talents to help pay for his degree and future in the world of economics
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #16
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Whether Fox signs this off season or not, I hold the opinion that the defense should get a makeover in order to bring in either offensive firepower, early round draft picks, and/or blue chip offensive prospects.

Gio and Kulak I expect to stay. Hamilton I would like to have stay since he's been a productive offensive forward which are very valuable, but if he can bring in assets that help now and in the future, then it may be worth it to trade him also.

It's time to make use of our supposive great defensive prospects. Hopefully Fox will sign and we'll get to see him next season. But if not, I'm not worried yet, and hold faith that he'll sign next season or even the next one then. There's plenty of room for him.
I share your opinion that the Flames are deep in defense, and trading for skilled forwards, preferably RW, should be a top priority. Also I believe that no one on defense should be exempt from being traded, except for Gio. I think a shakeup is warranted, and allowing room for upcoming players like Fox and others is paramount. However I fear, that with Tre so invested in his past moves, he may be reluctant to do what in my opinion is required to turn this team around.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #17
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I’m him, there’s more reason not to sign than sign. Extra couple years of NHL money vs earning Harvard degree (better off financially long term probably by finishing). He could go in summers I guess.

And why hurry to join an organization that is jammed on the right D depth chart with a coach/GM that is obsessed with playing guys on their “right” sides.

I can’t recall, but when Johnny first signed and played to burn a year, didn’t that kind of hurt him in this latest contract? Lack of arb rights and not eligible for offer sheet or something?
Old 03-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #18
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I can’t recall, but when Johnny first signed and played to burn a year, didn’t that kind of hurt him in this latest contract? Lack of arb rights and not eligible for offer sheet or something?
Yes. He had no arbitration rights and he couldn't sign an offer sheet which may have hurt his earning potential a bit. Arguably he might have been able to get slightly more because a potential offer sheet might have driven the Flames to close on a deal sooner than later. But still by burning a year he earned $6.75 mil in his 3rd pro year instead of $1.85 mil because of an ELC.

What really hurt Gaudreau more was timing. If he didn't burn his first year he could have had his contract negotiations after the McDavid extension and maybe Draisaitl was announced and using that as a benchmark.

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-17-2018 at 12:27 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #19
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Harvard Hockey is his means to an end. Guess we will find out soon if the end is to play pro hockey for $$$ or use his hockey talents to help pay for his degree and future in the world of economics
The issue isn't whether he wants to be an NHL player or pick a different career (he's been very clear that his dream is to play in the NHL), it's whether he signs with us or waits.

He can attend all four years, complete his academics and be probably one of the most coveted UFA's in the league when he's done.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #20
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yes. He had no arbitration rights and he couldn't sign an offer sheet which may have hurt his earning potential a bit. Arguably he might have been able to get slightly more because a potential offer sheet might have driven the Flames to close on a deal sooner than later. But still by burning a year he earned $6.75 mil in his 3rd pro year instead of $1.85 mil because of an ELC.

What really hurt Gaudreau more was timing. If he didn't burn his first year he could have had his contract negotiations after the McDavid extension and maybe Draisaitl was announced and using that as a benchmark.
That would have been scary.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote