Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #1021
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
The movie as a whole isn't mediocre, but it's lifted above mediocrity by last half hour or so, which on the other hand is arguably the best half hour in any Star Wars movie. It's just not as well paced and not as coherent as a whole. The space worm is still one of the dumbest things in any Star Wars film, and really the story of how the characters end up in Cloud City isn't that interesting, even though it takes up half the film.

There's also the problem that Han and Leia romance is really cringeworthy. It wasn't great back in the day (I remember that it made me really uncomfortable as a kid, before I had words to describe the problem) and today it's held up as an example of movies glorifying really harmful ideas of masculinity and romance.
Really? I always found the romance quite positive. Han starts out immature and embodying many if those negative masculine trates. He's later changed by Leia, who is smarter and more mature. I never saw it as Han putting Leia down. If anything it was the opposite.

There's also a lot of time between the first two movies. A lot of people speculate that something happened between Han and Leia during that time.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #1022
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally watched this. Holy crap was this movie bad. The main plot was a slow mo spaceship chase? Did i just watch spaceballs part 2? There is no way i would ever watch another star wars movie in the theatre again.

and I love this stupid Disney stalling crap at the beginning. So I guess in infinity war Dr Strange will start belly dancing to distract Thanos to buy the rest of the heroes time?
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #1023
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I watched it again tonight with my kids. I found the movie to be better on the second viewing. It could have been lower expectations. It could also be that I didn't watch it as a double-header with Force Awakens like I did the first time. It's still my least favourite the recent movies but it was better than I remembered.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #1024
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm reading the novel, and it does improve the movie. I'll post a review when I get done.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:03 AM   #1025
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Really? I always found the romance quite positive. Han starts out immature and embodying many if those negative masculine trates. He's later changed by Leia, who is smarter and more mature. I never saw it as Han putting Leia down. If anything it was the opposite.

There's also a lot of time between the first two movies. A lot of people speculate that something happened between Han and Leia during that time.
"Head canon" aka fan fiction is irrelevant, as is their relationship in later movies. Han and Leia romance as portrayed in TESB is just cringe worthy.

The change in Han happens later. In TESB it's basically thus: Leia keeps telling Han she's not into him, even going as far as to say she's into Luke to get him to back off. Han keeps ignoring what she says, completely full of himself and certain that really he's irresistible to her. This keeps happening until Han corners her in a quiet part of his ship. (So "finally" there's nowhere to go and she needs to face him.) She physically pushes him off, he grabs her, she tells him to stop, he doesn't stop, she tells him to stop again, he still doesn't stop, he points out that she's trembling and afraid, (she says she isn't, but it's clear it's true), he tells she likes her because he's a scoundrel, she says actually she likes nice men and starts telling Han he's not a nice man, but he cuts her off physically pushing her against the wall of the ship and kisses her.

At which point she's suddenly all into her and everything is fine. This was all very romantic. If you didn't understand it's romantic, there's romantic background music to tell you how to feel about it. She just didn't want to admit she's into bad boys and Han needed to push her until she gives in.

Everything about that is just effed up.

To be fair to TESB, "force yourself on the girl until she admits she's into you" is very common in older movies especially with men coded as strong masculine and sexy. Like James Bond raping a girl to bring her to the side of the good guys, this was, as they, "a thing".

Last edited by Itse; 03-25-2018 at 03:28 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:33 AM   #1026
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Finally watched this. Holy crap was this movie bad. The main plot was a slow mo spaceship chase? Did i just watch spaceballs part 2? There is no way i would ever watch another star wars movie in the theatre again.

and I love this stupid Disney stalling crap at the beginning. So I guess in infinity war Dr Strange will start belly dancing to distract Thanos to buy the rest of the heroes time?
This was one of the more cringeworthy parts of a very cringe filled garbage fest.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #1027
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I watched it again tonight with my kids. I found the movie to be better on the second viewing. It could have been lower expectations. It could also be that I didn't watch it as a double-header with Force Awakens like I did the first time. It's still my least favourite the recent movies but it was better than I remembered.
I did the same and found that watching it at home you could pause it, break it up and even just tune out some of the more boring parts.

Honestly, this movie is the victim of trying to do way too much.

If they want to keep doing this they should release 2 movies a year that are 90 minutes long rather than one that is 150 minutes long that has been pared down to fit.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #1028
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At which point she's suddenly all into her and everything is fine. This was all very romantic. If you didn't understand it's romantic, there's romantic background music to tell you how to feel about it. She just didn't want to admit she's into bad boys and Han needed to push her until she gives in.

For whatever reason, this also seems to be a thing with Harrison Ford generally. There's really not a whole lot that's creepier than the Deckard / Rachael romance in Blade Runner... to a point where you're wondering if Ridley Scott did it that way on purpose to make the audience question whether they feel any differently about the notion of sexually assaulting a humanoid android than an actual human (a question now more explicitly and extremely explored in Westworld).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #1029
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
For whatever reason, this also seems to be a thing with Harrison Ford generally. There's really not a whole lot that's creepier than the Deckard / Rachael romance in Blade Runner... to a point where you're wondering if Ridley Scott did it that way on purpose to make the audience question whether they feel any differently about the notion of sexually assaulting a humanoid android than an actual human (a question now more explicitly and extremely explored in Westworld).
I think that's exactly the purpose of it. It's a machine. It's built to obey his commands. So what would be immoral about it? It has no morals, only what humans tell it is right. Supposedly....

It's the whole theme of Blade Runner really. Those are the types of scenes that make US question it, versus just having someone sit there and go "Is it okay to tell my android to have sex with me?"

I'd agree that the Han and Leia romance is a little outdated in terms of Han's aggressiveness, but I think the earlier banter/glances between them (even Luke's kiss moment, which is an obvious move to mess with Han, even 12 year old me knew that) does a good job of exposing their sexual tension.

I also think Leia's character is set up enough at that point that we know she would probably have actually punched him if she didn't really want to kiss him.

Last edited by Coach; 03-25-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #1030
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
From what I've read, Ford and Young had absolutely zero chemistry, so getting any emotion at all into that scene was really the extent of what they were doing. I agree that the result works well from certain POV:s. (Plus it wasn't a first hand account so...)

I would also again highlight that this style of "romance" was super duper common for a long time, especially with rogueish characters which Ford tended play.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #1031
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #1032
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Old 03-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #1033
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I'm about 3/4 of the way through the novelization of the movie by Jason Fry. When I talk about Revenge of the Sith, I always tell people to read the book, because its amazingly well written and connects with the character and improves the story and especially the seduction of Anakin.

I'm kind of feeling the same way about Fry's book. Jason Fry is pretty well known in the Star Wars universe, he writes for insider, and has written several of the essential guide books.

He's done a unique spin on the ROTS novel which would have sections called "This is what its like to be" where a you would see the world through a main characters eyes. Fry has done that in this novel as you see things from a "certain point of view" throughout the book, from Rey to Luke to Snoke to Kylo Ren.

What's also been done in this novel is that they've added several things into the story line that actually help the story become better and more emotionally impactful.

So Spoilers ahead

About Luke

Spoiler!

Rose and her sister

Spoiler!

Ackbar's point of view

Spoiler!

Leia and Han

Spoiler!

The really big star ship

Spoiler!

Snoke

Spoiler!

Luke's a bastard

Spoiler!

I'll finish this when I finish the book.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #1034
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

More

Can we track ships through Hyperspace

Spoiler!

Hux hates everyone

Spoiler!

Is there any chance of Snoke coming back?

Spoiler!

Phasma was just there to die

Spoiler!

And now we're forked

Spoiler!

Old 03-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #1035
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Emo Kylo Ren

https://twitter.com/KyloR3n?ref_src=...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

https://twitter.com/user/status/953129894896119808

Old 03-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #1036
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/951145561629102082

Old 03-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #1037
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
More

Can we track ships through Hyperspace

Spoiler!

Hux hates everyone

Spoiler!

Is there any chance of Snoke coming back?

Spoiler!

Phasma was just there to die

Spoiler!

And now we're forked

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Old 03-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #1038
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
"Head canon" aka fan fiction is irrelevant, as is their relationship in later movies. Han and Leia romance as portrayed in TESB is just cringe worthy.

The change in Han happens later. In TESB it's basically thus: Leia keeps telling Han she's not into him, even going as far as to say she's into Luke to get him to back off. Han keeps ignoring what she says, completely full of himself and certain that really he's irresistible to her. This keeps happening until Han corners her in a quiet part of his ship. (So "finally" there's nowhere to go and she needs to face him.) She physically pushes him off, he grabs her, she tells him to stop, he doesn't stop, she tells him to stop again, he still doesn't stop, he points out that she's trembling and afraid, (she says she isn't, but it's clear it's true), he tells she likes her because he's a scoundrel, she says actually she likes nice men and starts telling Han he's not a nice man, but he cuts her off physically pushing her against the wall of the ship and kisses her.

To be fair to TESB, "force yourself on the girl until she admits she's into you" is very common in older movies especially with men coded as strong masculine and sexy. Like James Bond raping a girl to bring her to the side of the good guys, this was, as they, "a thing".
I wasn't referring to fan fiction. There is a 3 year gap between ANH and ESB. During that time Han and Leia have been holed up together in small rebel bases for much of that time. We aren't told what has happened to them, but obviously they've had some kind of interaction.

You can obviously interpret the interaction in the ESB a number of ways. However, it's pretty clear that the main intention of the writers was to show that both parties were engaging each other with insults in a way that wouldn't make sense unless there was some kind of emotion between the two. I also disagree with your assumption that Leia just gave in. It was fairly obvious that she had feelings all along. You're saying that despite being one of the most powerful people in the galaxy, she was actually being abused by Han and only gave in when she was too worn down? And then she continued a relationship with him for many years after?

Here's a pretty good write up on why it makes sense that Han and Leia were going at it before ESB begins:

https://www.thefandomentals.com/han-...nk-about-them/
Old 03-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #1039
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'll try to answer your questions, based on what we know

Spoiler!

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #1040
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spoiler!