Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #41
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Is there a way to mute posters in individual threads? Its tough to come into the tread and see the same poster or 2 bitching and whining about the same stuff they were bitching and whining about 2-3 weeks ago.

That being said, great episode. The first half of the season was a little slower than usual but the 2nd half of the season was fantastic and I'm on the edge of my seat for S6. Once again, the 9 month long break will be agonizing unless we get the 6th book at some time in between (fat chance).

The Arya and Cersei scenes from last nights episode were the highlites, but I was fine with how they did pretty much everything.
Scroll wheel or ignore and stop whining.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #42
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure everyone dies eventually, the walkers win and the story ends with a fad out of the walker King walking the steps up to the iron throne.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #43
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
You're right. I'm sorry. It was an error in judgement. Please don't report me.

I'll edit the post.
It's cool. We've seen it become a bit muddy as the show catches up with the books but I think the general rules of the thread should remain.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #44
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
To me it's not always about how it ends and if it's all wrapped up in nice little package of resolution.

Stannis went for the brass ring and failed. What was it all for in the end? Nothing. Like Napoleon after Waterloo - exile in Saint Helena til his death. What was all that war and conquest for in the end? Nothing.
There you go making laughable comparisons to real life. According to Nik it's entertainment and should shun real life examples in order to follow the typical color by numbers Hollywood story lines.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #45
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There you go making laughable comparisons to real life. According to Nik it's entertainment and should shun real life examples in order to follow the typical color by numbers Hollywood story lines.

Like I said, I'm glad you're still blown away by the same retreads from season 1. Some of us want advancement. Apparently to you that means I want a fairytale ending, but you're also still amazed that "anyone can die!!!! ... this isn't the same as every show!!!"
Old 06-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Pretty sure everyone dies eventually, the walkers win and the story ends with a fad out of the walker King walking the steps up to the iron throne.
It will be interesting to see how they wrap up the show. Barring mother nature intervening it's hard to imagine humans with hand to hand weapons defeating an enemy that gets larger in number as a battle progresses with the dead joining them.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #47
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

If any of the show watchers want more detailed history/back story/theories that may have come from the books, wander over to the book thread.

The show is now 97% in sync and the remaining differences may not ever be covered in the show. So any spoilers that may still exist either won't ever happen or would be so minor in scope as to be irrelevant.

And book readers - keep the status quo. Only TV canon in this thread.

That way the "Unsullied Show Watchers" won't be burdened with what would essentially be trivia for them.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

Like I said, I'm glad you're still blown away by the same retreads from season 1. Some of us want advancement. Apparently to you that means I want a fairytale ending, but you're also still amazed that "anyone can die!!!! ... this isn't the same as every show!!!"
It's astonishing it took you five seasons to realize this show isn't for you.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #49
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's astonishing it took you five seasons to realize this show isn't for you.
Yeah, I guess it's just too hardcore for me bro
Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #50
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm told that Jon's death was the mega spoiler that got that one guy banned a couple weeks back. that really sucks for anyone who read it cause then it's in the back of your mind the whole time and you're not watching the show the same way you would without any knowledge. as I mentioned earlier, google did it for me a long time ago when I typed in Jon Snow to look up his wiki page and immediately got "John Snow dead" as the first option. eff you autosuggest.

Jon's death is more in line with how the other Stark men bit the dust, with plenty of people around them warning that they were doing it wrong (shoulda listened to Stannis when he told you to send Thorne away). so it sucks he's gone, but in my mind the story at least earned it a bit more than some of the other recent shockers.

oh what a waste of magical king's blood though. I sort of wanted the scene to end with Melisandre running over frantically with a jar and ladle to save some for spellcasting next season.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #51
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stannis getting destroyed in an off the screen pathetic manor sums up exactly how his life had changed.

He murdered his brother, sacrificed his daughter, his wife killed himself.

His troops abandoned him. His sell-swords (Mercs) left.

He had transformed from a person wanting the good of the Kingdom to a power hungry maniac willing to do anything to get it.

His final act of insanity was marching a starving, undermanned, no cavalry army to certain doom.

As so many before him his final moments (assuming he is dead) were realizing this was all his fault. Summed up by the "Any final words" response

Like all the characters in this world, Stannis had good and bad traits. Was he a hero or a villian? He changed several times.

In the end he got a pathetic ending as he had become a pathetic man.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #52
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Scroll wheel or ignore and stop whining.

It's ok man. Its all over now.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #53
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I've mostly enjoyed Game of Thrones for the acting and the production values of the show. Nothing else on TV comes close.

I think Martin is great at world building and creating interesting characters but I feel that he fails to deliver when it comes to the plot. He spends so much time building up an event only to chop it off at the knees before it hits the climax. I know some people are going to read that and immediately throw it back in my face suggesting I am upset over so-and-so being killed.

I am not mad or upset over characters being killed, nor am I outraged over certain scenes. I've watched it for six seasons so I know what Game of Thrones is all about. However, as I was watching Jon Snow get the Julius Caesar treatment it dawned on me that I've been viewing this show as I would a B-horror flick. To see who is going to be killed off next and in what way.

I've said it before but I haven't been shocked by a character's death since Ned's in season one. I've been shocked by the manner in which some characters have met their end but not by their deaths in sense of how it impacts the plot. Jon's death had zero emotional impact on me last night. I sat there and thought, so what? Is that how a major character's death should be received by the viewer/reader? Death has no meaning in this story because Martin wields it like a bulldozer.

One of my favorite fantasy authors routinely kills major characters and it's significant both emotionally and in terms of driving the plot forward. With Martin I feel that characters are killed haphazardly. Their deaths fall flat and the plot essentially get reset. None of these stories feel like they're going anywhere.

This isn't a rage-quit post. I like the show and will continue to watch it but I am not going to pretend that Martin is a literary genius. Some people are convinced he his but I just don't see it.
You may not agree with me, but the end of last season with Tyrion finding Shae in his father's bed, killing her, and then killing his father was quite an emotional turn for the character and the audience. I was particularly blown away by that turn of events.

As far as Jon Snow goes, he's been making his own bed for most of this season. Previous seasons he spent a lot of time with the Wildlings and even had a Wildling girlfriend which was already too much for some. Then he narrowly wins a close vote to become the youngest commander ever, having less than 50% of the support of the Watch. Then, as Stannis burns Mance Rayder against Snow's advice, he shows mercy to the Wildling king who led an attack that killed many in the Watch; not winning anyone over there. After that, he makes a peace treaty with the Wildlings who are the sworn enemy of the Watch, again pissing off many of his own people and probably losing some to the other side. He then goes on an expedition to try and bring the tribes behind the wall, ends up losing more of the Watch that was loyal to him in the battle, and further alienates the rest of the Watch by undermining every purpose the Night's Watch has been instilled with, keeping undesirables on the other side of the wall. It was only a matter of time before they viewed him as a threat to their very way of life and took matters in their own hands. In this universe, those who strive for doing what's virtuous while ignoring politics end up dead. Jon Snow should have paid more attention to this and took his chance to reclaim Winterfell instead of staying virtuous and remaining at the Night's Watch. He had poor instincts for self-preservation, just like his father and half brother.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #54
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Jon or Stannis are dead.

We know anyone can be killed, but the other major character deaths moved the plot forward in big ways.
In this case, I think both plots get stronger with them alive (in some form).

I wish season 6 started in July.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #55
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Alternate ending:

Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #56
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how they wrap up the show. Barring mother nature intervening it's hard to imagine humans with hand to hand weapons defeating an enemy that gets larger in number as a battle progresses with the dead joining them.
It will have to be the Dragons burning the walkers to a crisp. Not sure what else it could be.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #57
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Alternate ending:

This was me last night.

"OOOH BENJIN! He knows Jon's True Identiy, he'll be able t-OH GOD THE IDES OF MARCH!"
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #58
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nice fake out by the show showing all those Benjin scenes in the "previously on" portion too.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #59
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Well, since wandering over to the other thread on Bobbleheads advice, I've had two characters deaths spoiled. So I would exercise caution going over there.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #60
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Well, since wandering over to the other thread on Bobbleheads advice, I've had two characters deaths spoiled. So I would exercise caution going over there.
yeah...that invitation just screamed white van with "Free Candy" spray painted on the side. he promised 97% synchronized, doesn't mean there aren't some big bombs in that remaining 3%.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote