Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #421
Swarez
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yeah that route does seem a good fit for Rouge, it'd likely be the 763 then... if it were to go.
I was saying it Won't be a rouge flight; currently only Air Canada mainline is allowed to fly to Paris as per agreement with unions.

AC is getting a handful of 787's next year, and in 2014 they will get one every other month if schedule still holds true. Also they are in midst of receiving 4 777's. You have to remember despite wanting new Asian/European cities from Alberta they need the aircraft first and that alone could have people waiting 1-2 years.
Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #422
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, but we may see another carrier come in and offer Asia-YYC before that.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #423
Swarez
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yup, but we may see another carrier come in and offer Asia-YYC before that.
You are right, Air China wants to expand its Canadian operations, they are star alliance, Beijing based, so its a good fit.
Korean is the biggest trans pacific carrier, they have operated in Calgary in past I believe, they are looking to add routes to feed there networks. They also have a very favorable bilateral with Canada.
The big push will come from AC who does want to expand to more cities from Calgary over next few years.

Vancouver is also spending more than a billion dollars in upgrades, this is to keep them as NA's #1 Asian departure point. AC is currently working on getting certain cities approved for Vancouver to feed its Asian network (Washington/Boston) both were rejected by US regulators in past but have been re-applied for. I can get more info when I start working for CAA next month but already have pretty good idea whats going on; Authorities are small worlds.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #424
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are correct, Korean has operated summer season charter flights here in the past (last ones were in 2010 and were not charter, anyone could book the flights). Prior to that JAL did a few summer flights too.

The rumour I have heard is pretty solid, maybe starting as a summer service and would tag on with YEG on one part of the routing.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #425
Swarez
Draft Pick

Next summer (Mid May-Mid Sept), KLM will be using the 777 3 days a week, instead of the a330, this will add about 330 seats/week over summer to Europe from yyc.

Last edited by Swarez; 09-17-2013 at 06:40 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swarez For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #426
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw that this morning too, excellent news. KLM is doing a great job of growing the route to AMS.

Swarez, you sure about that seat increase? This summer weren't they operating a split of the 332 and 333? With my rough math switching to 4x 332 and 3x 772 should yield a seat increase per week of only 78 seats. Not huge, but I think the cargo equation in the belly is also playing a role in the upguage.

Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #427
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

August passenger stats for YYC:

http://www.yyc.com/en-us/media/facts...tatistics.aspx

Overall: +6.6%
Domestic: +5.4%
Transborder: +13.9%
International: +1.6%

It is really good to see such big growth in Transborder, as those flights and international is what the new terminal will be handling.

Last edited by Bigtime; 09-26-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #428
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Calgary International Airport - Q3 2013 projects update
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #429
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez View Post
You are right, Air China wants to expand its Canadian operations, they are star alliance, Beijing based, so its a good fit.
Korean is the biggest trans pacific carrier, they have operated in Calgary in past I believe, they are looking to add routes to feed there networks. They also have a very favorable bilateral with Canada.
The big push will come from AC who does want to expand to more cities from Calgary over next few years.

Vancouver is also spending more than a billion dollars in upgrades, this is to keep them as NA's #1 Asian departure point. AC is currently working on getting certain cities approved for Vancouver to feed its Asian network (Washington/Boston) both were rejected by US regulators in past but have been re-applied for. I can get more info when I start working for CAA next month but already have pretty good idea whats going on; Authorities are small worlds.

seems its already started - new codeshare agreement between Air Canada and Air China - starting immediately can book into interior cities on mainland China via the AC website and vice versa on Air China -

'The carriers currently codeshare on flights operated from Vancouver and Toronto to and from Beijing and Shanghai. With the expanded codeshare agreement, Air Canada will place its code on Air China-operated flights to six new destinations in China, enabling Air Canada customers to conveniently access via Air China's Beijing hub: Guanghzou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Wuhan and Xi'An to the south and west of Beijing and Shenyang to the northwest.
Air China customers will in turn have convenient access from Air Canada's Vancouver hub, with Air China's code being placed on Air Canada-operated flights to six of Canada's major cities - Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal'
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lucky1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #430
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I noticed they didn't mention that clusterfata they created coming out of the arrivals area. Have you come in on a Friday afternoon lately? Total gridlock in the arrivals area, all the way out to Airport Trail. Took me 15 minutes in a cab just to get that far a few weeks ago, then Airport Tr. was backed up all the way to Barlow due to construction.

Their construction plan appears to have been created by a rhesus monkey flinging its own feces.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #431
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goodbye runway 16/34, and welcome runway 17R/35L:

CYYC RWY MARKING NON STANDARD: TO READ 16/34 VICE 17R/35L
1310131700 TIL 1310170901

CYYC RWY 16/34 CLSD
1310170700 TIL 1310170900

CYYC RWY 17R/35L CLSD
1310170901 TIL 1310171200

The runway is closed 1 am - 6 am Thursday morning for the new paint/signs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #433
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently there will be a "big" announcement today regarding the new runway.

Opening ahead of schedule?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #434
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently there will be a "big" announcement today regarding the new runway.

Opening ahead of schedule?
They're re-naming it in your honour.

"Air Canada 340, you are cleared to land on Bigtime"
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #435
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, nothing that qualified as "big" news (in my opinion), they are simply looking for ideas to celebrate the opening of the new runway next year:

http://www.yyc.com/News/tabid/91/art...-Campaign.aspx
Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #436
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, nothing that qualified as "big" news (in my opinion), they are simply looking for ideas to celebrate the opening of the new runway next year:

Already suggested the snowbirds drop by... I think all of Calgary would enjoy that.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #437
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Would love to see a celebration of flight, but more heavily on the commercial side of things than military. There must be some flying examples of all of the various historical commercial aircraft that have flown into YYC, both in its current location and it's former sites in renfrew and bowness. Having a demonstration (ground and air) of the 100 year history of flight in Calgary would be awesome. I think showcasing the future at the same time would be great - maybe we could get a loaner dreamliner and a380 to put on display too!
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #438
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Would love to see a celebration of flight, but more heavily on the commercial side of things than military. There must be some flying examples of all of the various historical commercial aircraft that have flown into YYC, both in its current location and it's former sites in renfrew and bowness. Having a demonstration (ground and air) of the 100 year history of flight in Calgary would be awesome. I think showcasing the future at the same time would be great - maybe we could get a loaner dreamliner and a380 to put on display too!
You'd actually be quite surprised by how few flying versions there are out there of a lot of those aircraft. Takes a lot of love and money to keep classics flying. However I think it is a pretty sweet idea!

A forumer over on SSP suggested that BA fly in their A380, not that bad an idea when you remember that they flew Concorde here when the new terminal opened up:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #439
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Have a flight where couples can join the mile-high club.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #440
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A forumer over on SSP suggested that BA fly in their A380, not that bad an idea when you remember that they flew Concorde here when the new terminal opened up
That was the first thing I thought of too (both having the A380 fly in for it, and the fact that they brought in the Concorde for the terminal opening).

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc