Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2022, 11:57 AM   #21
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Weekes reported the Jets offered the position to Tocchett and it was his decision to make. This signing could simply mean Tocchet said no so they went with their next backup plan.

I doubt Bowness was their number one target.
Wow, and we have a tough time convincing talent to come here. Ouch
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #22
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Awful just awful. This team went from the outhouse to a hole in the ground.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #23
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

They must have paid him a ton of money. After Dallas lost, it seemed like he was quite at peace and satisfied with what he had accomplished in hockey and was ready to move on.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #24
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, he's only had 2 seasons where his team finished above 0.500. I had no idea.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #25
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Next playoff is going to be boring with the Jets
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:38 PM   #26
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Next playoff is going to be boring with the Jets
hahahaha
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 02:21 PM   #27
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a mistake hire. dark days ahead for this org, at least they got Connor and Bucky (They should move him).
Old 07-01-2022, 02:48 PM   #28
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Low hanging fruit for the Jets. He has a history in Winnipeg and wasn't a terminated coach still getting paid, so they didn't have to match that salary.

I don't think he is a terrible coach and a big chunk of his record came from coaching the expansion Senators.

A pretty 'meh' hire. I think they would have been better off rolling the dice with an unknown and seeing what happens.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:56 PM   #29
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Aren’t they better off with Lowry ?
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:03 PM   #30
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

if this is the best chevy ends up doing, i think its time for TNSE re re-evaluate their entire management staff.

i'd sooner they try and develop a young an interesting coach and invest that way. this.. sigh.

Last edited by White Out 403; 07-01-2022 at 08:46 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 03:39 PM   #31
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
They must have paid him a ton of money. After Dallas lost, it seemed like he was quite at peace and satisfied with what he had accomplished in hockey and was ready to move on.
He probably didn't think he had a hope in hell of coaching an NHL team again
Old 07-01-2022, 03:48 PM   #32
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1542918369862639621
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 08:37 PM   #33
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL. I guess Jets mgmt never read our ATLs or they would have stayed away!
Old 07-01-2022, 09:37 PM   #34
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually don't mind this hire for the Jets. Bowness has always struck me as a good journeyman coach: not the kind who can get a good team over the hump, but a guy who can coax a reasonable performance out of a poor team. He sticks to the basics and gets his players to do the same, and as we've often seen, talent without teamwork often loses to teamwork without talent. GMs of bad teams know this and want to hire coaches like Bowness, which is a big reason for his poor winning percentage.

He did bring a dysfunctional and poorly balanced Dallas roster within an OT goal of beating the Flames. I'd call the Jets dysfunctional and poorly balanced as well, so he might have some success there. Also he is willing to spend winters in Manitoba, God knows why.

Not a match made in heaven, but at any rate a match made in the most tepid and neutral part of Limbo.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:55 PM   #35
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I actually don't mind this hire for the Jets. Bowness has always struck me as a good journeyman coach: not the kind who can get a good team over the hump, but a guy who can coax a reasonable performance out of a poor team. He sticks to the basics and gets his players to do the same, and as we've often seen, talent without teamwork often loses to teamwork without talent. GMs of bad teams know this and want to hire coaches like Bowness, which is a big reason for his poor winning percentage.

He did bring a dysfunctional and poorly balanced Dallas roster within an OT goal of beating the Flames. I'd call the Jets dysfunctional and poorly balanced as well, so he might have some success there. Also he is willing to spend winters in Manitoba, God knows why.

Not a match made in heaven, but at any rate a match made in the most tepid and neutral part of Limbo.
I think Bowness' role with Dallas was ideal, that of one as associate coach. He was able to support the head coach, be the nice guy, and thus with his experience as a head coach (unlike Ward) not be daunted when he had to take the head role on after the off ice issues of Montgomery. He got a lift for the team for a season and a bit, but his time in a caretaker role had worn out even if Dallas had pulled the series out vs the Flames.

A smart hire for Winnipeg because he is an experienced players coach, but not a good hire as a head coach. My guess is he would be as thrilled to go there as an associate coach, with the Jets having a younger or AHL guy (Huska-type) come in and have Bowness help mentor him.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:04 PM   #36
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel like boring-ass, gouge your eyes out hockey is when Winnipeg does best anyways so this might be good for them.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:22 PM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I feel like boring-ass, gouge your eyes out hockey is when Winnipeg does best anyways so this might be good for them.
I still don’t know if this is the style Bowness coaches, or whether he coached that style because of the hand he was dealt.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:43 PM   #38
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I still don’t know if this is the style Bowness coaches, or whether he coached that style because of the hand he was dealt.
Probably the latter, but I find that Bowness does pretty well at adapting his style to whatever hand he is dealt. Looking back, I honestly couldn't tell you what his own natural style is or if he even has one. He just seems to be good at finding ways to compensate for his roster's weaknesses.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:21 AM   #39
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

He started the right goalie...that is about all he did, they were outplayed in every aspect of the game
Old 07-02-2022, 01:19 AM   #40
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He started the right goalie...that is about all he did, they were outplayed in every aspect of the game
He also got all of his skaters protecting that goalie as if he were a Ming vase.

It was, unfortunately, the exact opposite of the Calgary-Edmonton series, in which Markstrom looked like a goof because his teammates hung him out to dry.