Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2022, 04:32 PM   #541
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats really the heart of the matter.

Most people just enjoy stability, so back when these people were working as Flight Attendants or whatever, they were just keeping on doing what they're doing.

Then COVID happened forcing people into living differently, and similar to people collecting CERB or wanting to work more from home or whatever the case may be, they've been doing that for 2+ years, they appear to like it and want to continue doing it.

Do they now want to interrupt all of that to go back to being Flight Attendants? Probably not.

Its going to take a new crop of dreamers to fill these positions. So its not all about money or perks, you need people with the right temperament and mindset to fill these gaps. People who want to do it. Not just people who want a job.

A great example that I give people is Truck Drivers.

I can drive a Truck. I could go out and get a license and voila!

But in no way do I have the mentality, temperament or desire to be a Truck Driver. Its just not a job that I personally would be a good fit for. Just because I can drive a Truck does not make me a 'Truck Driver' regardless of the compensation.

Same with being a Flight Attendant.
I agree with this sentiment.

If solving the issue with short staffing in the airline industry were as simple as snapping our fingers and paying employees more, people would also be flocking in droves to become truckers (and truckers get paid very well!!).

It's about stability, lifestyle, work-life balance, etc.

So it's really a matter of airline companies adapting to society and being smart with their marketing strategy for attracting new employees, by better selling themselves to the right people who have that mindset/temperament/ability to adapt to (and enjoy) their work environment and lifestyle (ex: people who love to travel and be constantly on the go).
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to littlereddevil For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 04:33 PM   #542
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The problem is big business knows if they yell and complain the government will allow for more low wage immigrants to fill the void, and big business can continue raking in the profits.

At the same time I think people aren't being fair if they think everything is coming down to wages. I know quite a few companies hiring right now who would pay way above market value and they can't even get job interviews.

We are paying the price of decades long stupidity of driving our kids away from trade schools and skilled labor.
I think there’s an element of classism at play. Fewer and fewer native-born Canadians are willing to do arduous, unpleasant, low-status work. It’s considered a step back. A lot of people would prefer to live with their parents at 28 and pick up a few shifts a week at Earls or Best Buy than do something gross like work at a care home, load luggage at the airport, or build concrete frames. And many Boomers are financially secure enough (and families today small enough) that they can shield adult children from resorting to unpleasant work.

I hope salaries for a lot of these low-status jobs do improve. But our labour shortages in some industries are becoming chronic (ie trucking), and rooted as much in changing social attitudes and demographics as in low pay.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 07-04-2022 at 04:38 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:52 PM   #543
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Captures what’s going on with Trudeau govt. to a tee as usual.
LOL. Five minutes in and Rex is already so full of nonsense it's not even worth continuing. Oh no, a world leader has criticized another country for the erosion of rights! No one has ever done that before! Maybe tomorrow Rex...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 05:21 PM   #544
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
LOL. Five minutes in and Rex is already so full of nonsense it's not even worth continuing. Oh no, a world leader has criticized another country for the erosion of rights! No one has ever done that before! Maybe tomorrow Rex...
Anyone posting a Rex Murphy and Jordan Peterson video unironically is not a serious person.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #545
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Anyone posting a Rex Murphy and Jordan Peterson video unironically is not a serious person.
Seriously. When it comes to CP I'm basically an uneducated gun-toting redneck and even I know that that's just total crap

Last edited by btimbit; 07-04-2022 at 05:36 PM. Reason: The fact that I misspelled educated.... effin lol
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #546
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So when are you organizing a televised Debate even between Rex, Jordan and that psychotic Professor from the University of Ottawa?

That would be some 'Must See TV.'

Maybe get some Convoy reps on there too? The sky is the limit!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:40 PM   #547
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Steaming turds making fart noises at each other don't draw ratings. Well, maybe on Fox.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:06 PM   #548
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't care if its something I agree with or something I don't - but posting some minutes long youtube video with no detailed summary of what it is or why I should watch it should be a 24 hour ban or public flogging - poster can choose.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 08:15 PM   #549
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I don't care if its something I agree with or something I don't - but posting some minutes long youtube video with no detailed summary of what it is or why I should watch it should be a 24 hour ban or public flogging - poster can choose.
So much yes,

Also if you post a video without comment and people respond as if you believe everything in the video and what the source of the video stands for that is your own fault for not posting context.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 09:54 PM   #550
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I watched the first minute and realized Rex is real old. I had respect for old men until I became one.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:11 PM   #551
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1544448094762422273
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #552
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Who is she? Sorry...that sounds really devoid of reality.

Government employees need to start feeling the pinch of some of these significant cost increases.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:30 PM   #553
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m not sure how much, if any, of the gas price increases are directly impacted by climate change. I assumed it had to do more with COVID-19 and geopolitical policies.

But, if we are still on oil when substantial damage does occur from climate change, the pinch will be real. And a lot worse. This will feel like nothing.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:38 PM   #554
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
I’m not sure how much, if any, of the gas price increases are directly impacted by climate change. I assumed it had to do more with COVID-19 and geopolitical policies.

But, if we are still on oil when substantial damage does occur from climate change, the pinch will be real. And a lot worse. This will feel like nothing.
Unless you are under 20 years old, luckily by that time we will all be dead.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:41 PM   #555
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Who is she? Sorry...that sounds really devoid of reality.

Government employees need to start feeling the pinch of some of these significant cost increases.
Not sure if serious... DPM = Deputy Prime Minister, Chrystia Freeland. She's also not wrong that shippers with electric trucks don't care so much about gas prices.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #556
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many shippers in Canada are running fleets of EV’s?
Old 07-05-2022, 06:31 PM   #557
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Not sure if serious... DPM = Deputy Prime Minister, Chrystia Freeland. She's also not wrong that shippers with electric trucks don't care so much about gas prices.
She's probably not wrong, but good golly does she come across as patronizing and tone-deaf... (Liberal Party in a nutshell, really...)
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:33 PM   #558
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
She's probably not wrong, but good golly does she come across as patronizing and tone-deaf... (Liberal Party in a nutshell, really...)
No disagreement there, but it's not as outrageous as Yoho thinks it is.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:02 PM   #559
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Patrick Brown kicked out of Cons race. Down to two horses now.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:09 PM   #560
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Patrick Brown kicked out of Cons race. Down to two horses now.
Charest vs. Polliviere?