Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2022, 05:00 AM   #461
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Do I think this group has what it takes to win three straight? Nah. Not seeing much heart here, if any. They all look upset, but they're daydreaming about a nice cold beer on the links. They don't really care, certainly not about each other. They can't wait to get out of this series.

Sutter knew this was a brittle group. He was building them up all season. But you can only build up a house of cards so much. They went from completely dominating the Stars to collapsing like a cheap tent. They battle back from a 3-0 deficit only to lose the game with three minutes to go. Classic choke job.

What does Sutter do now? Just invite each guy into his office, one by one, and when they let their guard down punch them in the face. Give them a nice fat shiner. "There, now you look the way you've played in this series. Get out of my office." They can be "the shiner boys", good for shoe shining, not much else.

If Gaudreau wants to bottom feed for the Flyers, so be it. Have fun with that gong show, Johnny.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:16 AM   #462
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just going to reiterate my thoughts from the GDT.

It's just an entertainment product with guys employed by these brands going out and doing their jobs. No point in letting that affect you too much. Also, whichever team wins, any fan that uses that to try shaming a fan of the other team is just showing that they're kind of a twit.

Disappointment is natural, but it's not worth letting get you down. If you're not having fun, forget about it. We're heading into summer. Go enjoy that instead.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 06:09 AM   #463
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Incredible how so many people are blaming Marky. His numbers aren't good but the goals he has let in are quality goals aside from game 1 where he sucked but we still won.

Recap of the losing games and his goals:
Game 2
Keith's goal - Saveable but not terrible
McDavid goal - Breakaway deke, little chance
Bouchard goal - perfect blast inside post, no chance
Hyman breakaway - 50/50 chance

Game 3
Hyman goal - perfect shot inside post but maybe lost his angle a bit so 50/50
Kane three goals - all alone going one way and getting deked, poor defensive play, little chance to save

Game 4
Nuge goal - gift wrapped bad play, all on Marky
Hyman goal - PP rebound, no chance
Kane goal - deflected of defender stick, low chance to save
Nuge goal - rebound, bad coverage by Shilly, no chance

Don't forget all the other stops he's made like Drai one timers, Hyman breakaway, Kassian breakaway etc.

Flames are giving up way too many uncontested opportunities. This is a team issue. If Flames had those exact opportunities, I'm willing to bet we would also be scoring.

Tkachuk the future leader and 10 million dollar man has been neutered by Kane
Lucic has been dead weight, doesn't get into anyone's grill
Jarnkrok has pretty much been Jarnchoke
Dube isn't using his speed up create more chances
Hanifin been turned into Noah Pylon
Stone is back to blasting his rockets wide and high
Sutter needs to feel the pulse of the players and stop rolling these brutal guys when it's crunch time.
Well even then, Markstrom has a bad high danger unblocked save % above expected.
He's been bad by every metric, advanced and simple.
Especially in comparison to the remaining goalies.

And the Flames have the worst goals against above expected out of all the teams remaining. All the teams remaining have roughly the same number of high danger shots against. The Flames have 53.33% of the takeawaks in the games they've played. But the Flames do lead in offensive zone giveaways.

Based on the stats, it's clear that the Flames haven't been great defensively. But Markstrom has been outright bad by any metric.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:10 AM   #464
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Should have been a sweep.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:16 AM   #465
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Tampa can lend us Vasilevskiy for the elimination games, seeing as they have some time to kill.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:18 AM   #466
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames in 7!
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:31 AM   #467
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Markström still has a shot at redemption. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibilty that the Flames can turn this series around. The Oilers just won three straight, so we can do it too. However, we need one hell of a momentum swing right now, so a timely shutout or something close to it would be really great.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:39 AM   #468
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Comes down to Markstrom if they can come back. Can't have backbreaking goals against like the first one, although Smith gave it back on the tying goal. Frankly neither of these goalies are playing good at this point.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:39 AM   #469
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just need to win tomorrow and go from there, better teams have folded and choked and the the Oilers are not a good team.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:44 AM   #470
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lots to be happy about with that effort. I concur with Darryl, that was by far our best game in the series, and a confidence booster that when they stick to their structure they can manage McDavid.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 06:47 AM   #471
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems that since about midway thru the first game almost everything the oilers have done has been right - their best players ups his game, their tendy ups his game, they get some secondary scoring - while the flames are seemingly shell shocked and have played well in stretches but right now it is hard to say who has played well every game.

Last night the flames got a gift goal to tie up the game, and they could still not figure out a way to grind out a win which is somewhat surprising given some of the stuff they did in the regular season.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:51 AM   #472
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Its disappointing for sure but I'm surprised how quickly people turn on the team and this board is supposed to be the die hard fans.

Win the next one at home and take it game by game. On home ice with your backs against the wall, that's a winnable game. Take that momentum back to Edmonton and grind out a road win. If you're able to force game 7 back at the dome, Calgary would have all the momentum and how sweet of a series win that would be.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 06:58 AM   #473
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Can’t believe how many fair weather fans there are. Y’all are more pathetic than you think the team is.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 07:00 AM   #474
Gazza
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Its disappointing for sure but I'm surprised how quickly people turn on the team and this board is supposed to be the die hard fans.

Win the next one at home and take it game by game. On home ice with your backs against the wall, that's a winnable game. Take that momentum back to Edmonton and grind out a road win. If you're able to force game 7 back at the dome, Calgary would have all the momentum and how sweet of a series win that would be.
I agree. This was a great season. I understand it sucks losing to the Oilers but this is still a good team and good foundation for the next few years.

The up an down of emotions here is breathtaking.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gazza For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 07:03 AM   #475
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Incredible how so many people are blaming Marky. His numbers aren't good but the goals he has let in are quality goals aside from game 1 where he sucked but we still won.

Recap of the losing games and his goals:
Game 2
Keith's goal - Saveable but not terrible
McDavid goal - Breakaway deke, little chance
Bouchard goal - perfect blast inside post, no chance
Hyman breakaway - 50/50 chance

Game 3
Hyman goal - perfect shot inside post but maybe lost his angle a bit so 50/50
Kane three goals - all alone going one way and getting deked, poor defensive play, little chance to save

Game 4
Nuge goal - gift wrapped bad play, all on Marky
Hyman goal - PP rebound, no chance
Kane goal - deflected of defender stick, low chance to save
Nuge goal - rebound, bad coverage by Shilly, no chance

Don't forget all the other stops he's made like Drai one timers, Hyman breakaway, Kassian breakaway etc.

Flames are giving up way too many uncontested opportunities. This is a team issue. If Flames had those exact opportunities, I'm willing to bet we would also be scoring.

Tkachuk the future leader and 10 million dollar man has been neutered by Kane
Lucic has been dead weight, doesn't get into anyone's grill
Jarnkrok has pretty much been Jarnchoke
Dube isn't using his speed up create more chances
Hanifin been turned into Noah Pylon
Stone is back to blasting his rockets wide and high
Sutter needs to feel the pulse of the players and stop rolling these brutal guys when it's crunch time.

An elite goalie stops the majority of those. They make saves they have no business making. Markstrom has made some great saves at times but not enough.

This doesn’t excuse the team but I’m not willing to let Markstrom off the hook.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #476
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can we see 2 teams come back from being down in a series 3-1 these playoffs? I sure bloody hope so.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:26 AM   #477
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it hurts so much because we've all seen it before... lots.
But also the fact that we should have won game 2 being up 3-1 there's no excuse to blow that.

Game 3, sure you give it to Edmonton.
But last night this team deserved the win after the comeback, but Edmonton played like they wanted it more and got the W.

So what SHOULD be 3-1 Cgy series lead is now 3-1 EDM and our best players are not playing their best so the already low % chance to come back feels even lower. Last night we should have seen a bunch of players giving everything they had in a do or die killer instinct game and we didn't.

Where do they go? Why are we not taking command of the game?
This team just continually feels mentally fragile, scared, and too many players seemingly disappear EVERY YEAR we make the playoffs.

Why is that? In the Dallas series we ran into a hot goalie but still found a way to win on the back of Markstrom playing up to his potential.

Now vs EDM he's lost all confidence, he's rattled and his numbers against them all year have been abysmal.

All our secondary scoring is gone, outside of Backlund nobody is playing great at all and our top line is not playing like the best line in the NHL all season long.

I'm honestly confused/concerned yet again.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 07:31 AM   #478
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Do I think this group has what it takes to win three straight? Nah. Not seeing much heart here, if any. They all look upset, but they're daydreaming about a nice cold beer on the links. They don't really care, certainly not about each other. They can't wait to get out of this series.

Sutter knew this was a brittle group. He was building them up all season. But you can only build up a house of cards so much. They went from completely dominating the Stars to collapsing like a cheap tent. They battle back from a 3-0 deficit only to lose the game with three minutes to go. Classic choke job.

What does Sutter do now? Just invite each guy into his office, one by one, and when they let their guard down punch them in the face. Give them a nice fat shiner. "There, now you look the way you've played in this series. Get out of my office." They can be "the shiner boys", good for shoe shining, not much else.

If Gaudreau wants to bottom feed for the Flyers, so be it. Have fun with that gong show, Johnny.
Next time you’re at a party, let me know. You seem like you would be fun to be around.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 07:33 AM   #479
ViKen
Draft Pick

icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Just going to reiterate my thoughts from the GDT.

It's just an entertainment product with guys employed by these brands going out and doing their jobs. No point in letting that affect you too much. Also, whichever team wins, any fan that uses that to try shaming a fan of the other team is just showing that they're kind of a twit.

Disappointment is natural, but it's not worth letting get you down. If you're not having fun, forget about it. We're heading into summer. Go enjoy that instead.
Well said JohnnyB. I've been cheering for this team for 42 years and along with all major pro sports, I've become increasingly jaded and indifferent. It is entertainment and really has zero bearing on your actual life. Sports has morphed into some kind of beast where it's unaffordable for average families to attend games.

Win or lose, these guys still take home US$2M to US$10M to work for 6 months each year...let that sink in for a bit (and they're going to start prying more money from fans through sports betting and prey on a new generation of gambling addicts as well).

While I now have the means to pretty much do what I want, I'd rather not feed too much more into these marketing machines just to get so emotionally exhausted over it. Enjoy, but keep it real and keep things in perspective. As a fan, I'm happy to watch my favourite team do well but it's 1 out of 32 teams every year that get the prize. I've got other amazing priorities in life now too.
ViKen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViKen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 07:34 AM   #480
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Now the climb begins
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote