Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2022, 08:16 AM   #5341
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could mean nothing but Friedman said the Flyers and Hawks were deep on discussions on Debrincat for the 5th pick but now the Flyers have backed off. Could mean nothing or could mean they think they could get Gaudreau which would mean they can’t afford and don’t need Debrincat as much
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:28 AM   #5342
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Agreed. I don't see how the draft will affect things for the Flames if Gaudreau is not re-signed by then.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Yes, that’s true. The people with a chair at the table are likely working towards the July 13th deadline. That said, there are knock on effects though.

Treliving might want to know what his cap situation is going to be headed into the draft. If Gaudreau is not going to sign it could set into motion a number of events for the club. The longer this goes the tighter things get. We’re entering a window where some significant moves are going to start to fall into place. I would imagine the correspondence between GM’s is at or near it’s peak, right now. Treliving might need to know what his situation is.

On the other hand Treliving may know the contract is in place and os content to hammer out the final details anytime between now and the 13th, which may lead to a relatively quiet draft.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:38 AM   #5343
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Not sure it's in Gaudreau's best interest to close the door with the Flames prior to free agency. You never know how it will pan out, no point in closing off options.

They could be close, they may be timing an announcement. Or the Flames may have been told that he intends to test free agency but will circle back.

I'd doubt very much they know for certain he's not staying in Calgary.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 08:42 AM   #5344
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another scenario, a deal may be in place but no announcement because they are still working on deals for Tkachuk and Mangiapane. Don’t want the Gaudreau contract numbers out as they could affect the other negotiations. Lots of different scenarios really I suppose
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:42 AM   #5345
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess the Flames will ask Gaudreau to declare his intent.

Once they have it, if its to sign plan is obvious

If its to explore free agency, Flames will already have another plan in place
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:44 AM   #5346
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Not sure it's in Gaudreau's best interest to close the door with the Flames prior to free agency. You never know how it will pan out, no point in closing off options.

They could be close, they may be timing an announcement. Or the Flames may have been told that he intends to test free agency but will circle back.

This is what Frank was saying on the FAN this morning. He said the optimism for Calgary is that he is not closing the door on the Flames. Many think because he hasn’t signed yet he wants to test the market but other insiders are saying he is a little torn right now.

Really tough spot for Treliving. By all accounts the Flames are frozen by Gaudreau and that is all they are focused on right now. While I am sure some contingencies are being discussed it doesn’t sound like Tkachuk or Mangiapane are priorities as long as the Gaudreau decision remains up in the air
Old 07-05-2022, 08:45 AM   #5347
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed. Even if Gaudreau intends to test the market, I doubt he would want to close the door on the Flames. This puts the Flames in a pretty tenuous situation though. If Gaudreau leaves and Forsberg signs elsewhere etc. etc. the Flames could be left holding the bag.

Treliving doesn’t strike me as allowing that to happen. Looking back at 2019, there was a clear plan in place regarding Brodie/Markstrom/Tanev.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:47 AM   #5348
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

This scenario may be good in the end. A lot of over priced UFA's may already be gone before they get an answer from Johnny. Then he either stays which is great or leaves and we aren't stuck paying fir an overpriced 2nd liner.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:50 AM   #5349
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the Flames would pivot to the trade market if Johnny walks? Would they go after Debrincat or someone else?

When Ottawa lost Alfie they pivoted quickly to Bobby Ryan and sent out a futures lead package to bring him in.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:51 AM   #5350
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Agreed. Even if Gaudreau intends to test the market, I doubt he would want to close the door on the Flames. This puts the Flames in a pretty tenuous situation though. If Gaudreau leaves and Forsberg signs elsewhere etc. etc. the Flames could be left holding the bag.

Treliving doesn’t strike me as allowing that to happen. Looking back at 2019, there was a clear plan in place regarding Brodie/Markstrom/Tanev.
Agreed, if Gaudreau does test the market.

I would think the Flames will need to be aggressive with their other plan.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:53 AM   #5351
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I’d love to have a tradable asset in hand in Johnny, if he doesn’t sign I would hope the flames go into full rebuild mode. Dealing Tkachuk could be a great start including one year of tanking to get a good pick next year. I strongly don’t believe in this core, and paying guys too high of a price, though market value, makes it hard to deal them later on if the price or term is too high. If Johnny walks I just don’t want to see a makeup signing which handcuffs the team.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:57 AM   #5352
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think (hope) they are timing the announcement just before Gaudreau is in the Stampede parade... really electrify the city.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 08:58 AM   #5353
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
While I’d love to have a tradable asset in hand in Johnny, if he doesn’t sign I would hope the flames go into full rebuild mode. Dealing Tkachuk could be a great start including one year of tanking to get a good pick next year. I strongly don’t believe in this core, and paying guys too high of a price, though market value, makes it hard to deal them later on if the price or term is too high. If Johnny walks I just don’t want to see a makeup signing which handcuffs the team.
Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be in the cards. Losing Johnny and Matthew makes this team a non-playoff group but not a bottom feeder. Sutter can’t coach this team if the goal is to get a high pick.

As much as it does make sense to reload and get assets for some key players (Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Lindholm, Markstrom, Hanifin) I just don’t see it happening. If Johnny walks and we hear Darryl is not coming back all bets are off but right now I just don’t see them shifting to rebuild no matter what
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 09:05 AM   #5354
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be in the cards. Losing Johnny and Matthew makes this team a non-playoff group but not a bottom feeder. Sutter can’t coach this team if the goal is to get a high pick.

As much as it does make sense to reload and get assets for some key players (Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Lindholm, Markstrom, Hanifin) I just don’t see it happening. If Johnny walks and we hear Darryl is not coming back all bets are off but right now I just don’t see them shifting to rebuild no matter what
Yeah. You’re right. I don’t see it either. But I do think it’s the right thing to do. It seems you can only build through the draft these days and with a relatively slow, undersized core this team is meddling. No doubt they’re good enough to get in the playoffs but actually win, doubtful. From a business standpoint I understand ownership’s predicament but disagree with drinking the kool-aid in the sea of yes men. This team isn’t great and a rebuild is required by maximizing asset value.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:10 AM   #5355
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone give Johnny Freddie Freeman's phone number!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 09:11 AM   #5356
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Johnny leaves its going to be real interesting to see what Tkachuk does.

Does that lower his appetite to stick around long term with the Flames, or does he relish the opportunity to be the guy they build around up front?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #5357
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Johnny does leave and Tkachuk is hesitant to sign a long term deal then we better be seeing him traded. Treliving cannot take that gamble again.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #5358
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Johnny walks and this team doesn't rebuild it would the the most Calgary Flames thing to happen since well.. the Calgary Flames.

What an absolute dumpster fire this would cause, similar to Iginla going for nothing because this Franchise held on to him for too long and didn't do enough around him during the prime years.

If Johnny walks you absolutely have to deal Tkachuk for A+ prospects and top picks in the draft and rebuild from there. Something like Tkachuk to NJD for 2OA + Holtz or Mercer + perhaps Ty Smith maybe.

I think you then try and avoid any big UFA's unless you can somehow convince Forsberg to come over to team Sweden and re-build on the fly between this draft and the next. I would look to unload Tanev and other depth guys at the deadline for more picks and hope we get a top 3 pick in 2023.

I would argue that NOBODY is untradeable if Johnny walks.

Now the GOLDEN question is: Will the Flames do this? Highly unlikely, as we've seen time and time again they refuse to go full rebuild the proper way which is why we've been stuck in this mediocrity train for what feels like eternity.

But if Johnny does walk (god help us) this team needs to thank Sutter for his time (cant seem him wanting to coach a rebuild) and do the right thing and start over.
This is why the Flames need to know his intentions before Thursday.
We simply cannot go into the draft 2 days from now and have both Johnny and Mathew as question marks on the roster sheet for next year. It would be the absolute worst thing we could do and based on everything being said to date including this morning with quite a few "insiderrrrs" it sounds like Johnny has no intentions to rush anything and wants to hear what's out there.

Last edited by Royle9; 07-05-2022 at 09:18 AM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:16 AM   #5359
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of the NJD discussions hinge on what they do with Bratt.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #5360
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If Johnny leaves its going to be real interesting to see what Tkachuk does.

Does that lower his appetite to stick around long term with the Flames, or does he relish the opportunity to be the guy they build around up front?
I wonder if Tkachuk would look at it and say "well this is my team now, i'm the guy" and maybe relish that opportunity?

If Johnny leaves I think the Flames double down on focusing on Tkachuk as the central figure on this team and they build around him. All assuming he wants to stay long-term. Which is clarity they need to get this summer.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win