Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #6581
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Simmonds worries me. His point total are steadily decreasing. 60, 54, 46, and this year on pace for 36.
I want no part of Simmonds.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #6582
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simmonds feels like an incoming Jim Benning 6-year deal
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #6583
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

great game by andersson so far

edit: wrong thread

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-09-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #6584
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
great game by andersson so far
He is going to be in the top four soon. Guy is such a great player!

Really love the young dman and I think Andersson will be the best of them!
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #6585
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post

Really love the young dman and I think Andersson will be the best of them!
I’d put money on Välimäki personally
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #6586
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I’d put money on Välimäki personally
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 08:59 PM   #6587
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the points made about Simmonds being in decline, but I think the same about Zuccarello. In a perfect world, a little more size and snarl would benefit us more in the playoffs than aquiring another small guy. Between the two players, I'd prefer to rent Simmonds but I hope Tre is looking elsewhere.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #6588
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give me Zuc over Simmonds every day of the week, Zuc is a high IQ player that fits this team. He would do well here, I’ve never got the love affair with simmonds. Didn’t want him over the summer and want him less now.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Zuc rumour has legs even though it’s Eklund reporting it. Doesn’t he actually have ties to the org?

Last edited by Beninho; 01-09-2019 at 10:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 01:22 AM   #6589
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
yep... this would be an intriguing pickup... not sure why Detroit would do it though?

seem like the kind of player and age you want..17 goals in 39 games this year and 24 years old strikes me as a player you build off of rather than trade
I think only if they are blown away. Pipe dream probably. If only the scouting depts would hire us at cp I was all over this kid. So many but I like Todd and co. Andreas is a high aimed wish. That guy fits right in to the core. Maybe even valimaki and next year's second. I'm that serious about him. Otherwise I dont see us making a big splash. This team is so stacked right now. Maybe another depth dman. I could see hjalmarsson from Phoenix. Chyka looks like a poker player and the obvious tre connection.. Go Andrea's. Go 5th dman.

Last edited by Ziggy Lidstrom; 01-10-2019 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #6590
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Lidstrom View Post
I agree with this and textcritic. I would be willing to part with a fair bit for this kid. I have always liked his skill set and think he could be an elite option capable of playing in a top 9 in any demand of him: speed scoring are always welcome and his speed is elite. . He could be a Darren helms type but what would Detroit want ? 1st this year? And dube ? Or eat bread? Matt Phillip's?
Oh, I have no opinion.

I just love saying “Happytoseeyou”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #6591
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames should go after Howard. Goalies typically don't receive a high price at the deadline (I think the Wings are dreaming if they want a first) and the Wings look like they will be missing the playoffs.

Smith + Lazar + 4th Round for Howard .. I don't think it will cost much more than that.

I think that will really solidify the goal position moving forward for this year.

I also think they need another Top 9 player to really solidify the roster, especially if they trade Frolik.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-???
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Hathaway-Ryan-Czarnik

(They can always try Neal with Tkachuk and Backlund but still need a Top 9 winger). Zucarello or Simmonds would be perfect rentals if the price is right. Another option is Tyler Toffoli from LA as I think he can become a really nice long-term piece. He makes $4.6 million per year but that is close to Frolik.

Last edited by keenan87; 01-10-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #6592
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I think the Flames should go after Howard. Goalies typically don't receive a high price at the deadline (I think the Wings are dreaming if they want a first) and the Wings look like they will be missing the playoffs.

Smith + Lazar + 4th Round for Howard .. I don't think it will cost much more than that.

I think that will really solidify the goal position moving forward for this year.

I also think they need another Top 9 player to really solidify the roster, especially if they trade Frolik.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-???
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Hathaway-Ryan-Czarnik
Smith is worth nothing
Lazar is worth nothing

Chances are Detroit is not going to want to add incremental contracts, as there is a limit of 50 contracted players.
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadaMatt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #6593
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Smith is worth nothing
Lazar is worth nothing

Chances are Detroit is not going to want to add incremental contracts, as there is a limit of 50 contracted players.
Sure, but the Flames will need to put Smith in that trade to make the cap work. I really don't think Howard is worth more than a fourth round pick on an expiring contract.

Didn't the Flames only pay 2nd round picks for Smith and Elliott who had term left.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #6594
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the rumored price for Howard is a first. I find that a lot of the trade proposals of late seem to assume that for some reason the other teams will simply give away their stuff for next to nothing. Perhaps this is why sometimes there is negative reaction to trades made or not made - there seems to be a disconnect on the value, or lack of value of the things the Flames have to deal. Lazar and Smith are worth less than a six pack of Hire's Root Beer.
With pending UFAs you also have to factor in the existing teams may think they can sign them. So by trading them for nothing more than a mid round pick, they give up that chance. I think this is a very large factor in the values of people like Howard, Stone, Duchene, etc.
My general view is that it will be a low activity deadline for the Flames. Perhaps a little bit of depth but not a core piece coming in. Which is OK - this team has so far earned the right to see what it can do in the post-season. Improving the team on paper doesn't always translate to improvement on the ice.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #6595
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but the Flames will need to put Smith in that trade to make the cap work. I really don't think Howard is worth more than a fourth round pick on an expiring contract.

Didn't the Flames only pay 2nd round picks for Smith and Elliott who had term left.
Howard will be worth more if...
- Another team is willing to pay more
- The Wings are interested in re-signing him and view that opportunity to be worth more than a 4th.

Tell me why you think that they would trade him for such a low price.
Value during the off-season is also quite different than deadline value.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #6596
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Yeah the rumored price for Howard is a first. I find that a lot of the trade proposals of late seem to assume that for some reason the other teams will simply give away their stuff for next to nothing. Perhaps this is why sometimes there is negative reaction to trades made or not made - there seems to be a disconnect on the value, or lack of value of the things the Flames have to deal. Lazar and Smith are worth less than a six pack of Hire's Root Beer.
With pending UFAs you also have to factor in the existing teams may think they can sign them. So by trading them for nothing more than a mid round pick, they give up that chance. I think this is a very large factor in the values of people like Howard, Stone, Duchene, etc.
My general view is that it will be a low activity deadline for the Flames. Perhaps a little bit of depth but not a core piece coming in. Which is OK - this team has so far earned the right to see what it can do in the post-season. Improving the team on paper doesn't always translate to improvement on the ice.
Just because a team wants a price doesn't mean they will get that price. How often does an aging goalie like Howard on an expiring deal get a first round pick?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #6597
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich keeps this up and he's going to save Treliving from having to go out this summer and outbid other teams for a starting goaltender. No $6-8 million + long term risky contract being doled out.

He can just re-sign Rittich and snag a decent platoon option with much less term, AAV and risk.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #6598
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just because a team wants a price doesn't mean they will get that price. How often does an aging goalie like Howard on an expiring deal get a first round pick?
If I'm Calgary I use the video of Howard's major league gaffe last game against the Flames as a response to such a request.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #6599
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Howard will be worth more if...
- Another team is willing to pay more
- The Wings are interested in re-signing him and view that opportunity to be worth more than a 4th.

Tell me why you think that they would trade him for such a low price.
Value during the off-season is also quite different than deadline value.
1) We don't know if another team is willing to pay more. Unless you can point me to any rumours with teams clearly having interest in Howard.

2) Isn't that what every team is supposed to say about expiring contracts? When is the last time a team has come out and said "We have no interest in signing Player X". Maybe they are bluffing?

I am not saying my trade proposal is what will happen. However, I do see there being a possibility that no one else bids and the Wings would take a fourth round pick. Then they can sign him in the off-season if they really want him back or explore other options.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #6600
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance Taylor Hall comes back to Calgary when he becomes a UFA?