Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:
Default Wii MotionPlus

So who's looking forward to this thing? It's out at the beginning of June and I haven't heard a lot of excitement for it yet. You will be able to buy it with Tiger Woods 10 for $60 ($10 for the peripheral, $50 for the game), or you can buy it on it's own for $20.

If you don't know what it is ...

My hope is that this peripheral will get the wii a little closer to what we had envisioned how the wii would actually work. My biggest issue with the wii right now is that they didn't necessarily do anything revolutionary with the control, they merely replaced a button press with a remote waggle.

This however could be the control I was hoping for and my fingers are crossed that they don't totally screw it up. True 1:1 control means a game could tell how you were holding the wiimote. Imagine the possibilities with sword fighting, golfing or any other type of game?

I'm wondering why there isn't more interest for this. My wii hasn't even been plugged in since I moved back in September, but I may actually pick this thing up. Is it possible wii owners are just peripheraled out? I'm willing to give this system one more chance.

There is a youtube video that shows the Nintendo people showing off the peripheral, but it's widely regarded to painfully cheesy and uncomfortable to watch. This is a tech demo that I feel gets the point across in a much better way. I've skipped the video to the cool(er) part.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Russic; 05-04-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wish I could still be excited about Wii as I was when it first came out. But the excitement isn't there for me anymore.

I think this will turn out to be another gimmick peripheral that some people feel like they will have to buy for the system (along with the 4 remotes and 4 nunchucks).

Until game developers finally put effort into developing AMAZING games that make use of motion plus, Wiis for owners over the age of 14 will continue to collect dust. Tiger Woods is a good start, hopefully they can build off of that.

I wonder how sales of future games using motion plus will be considering you now have to buy the game, and $20 for each motion plus add on. Will game developers take that into consideration before putting into the effort for motion plus??? I'm Interested on how this will work out....
________
Vaporite solo digital review

Last edited by kdogg; 08-17-2011 at 03:59 PM.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post
I wish I could still be excited about Wii as I was when it first came out. But the excitement isn't there for me anymore.

I think this will turn out to be another gimmick peripheral that some people feel like they will have to buy for the system (along with the 4 remotes and 4 nunchucks).

Until game developers finally put effort into developing AMAZING games that make use of motion plus, Wiis for owners over the age of 14 will continue to collect dust. Tiger Woods is a good start, hopefully they can build off of that.

I wonder how sales of future games using motion plus will be considering you now have to buy the game, and $20 for each motion plus add on. Will game developers take that into consideration before putting into the effort for motion plus??? I'm Interested on how this will work out....
That's a very good point. If I'm a game developer am I going to develop a game that only a segment of the wii population can play? I suppose the obvious answer is to include a "normal" mode that doesn't use the motionplus.

I'm in your boat ... nothing that system seems to do excites me anymore.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think this is the stupidest thing ever. Why do they need it in the first play?! It should have been made like this from the beginning, to actually work 1 for 1, or what ever the term they used was.

Sort of a Microsoft -up, Microsoft screwed up with their system (3 red lights), and Nintendo made the motion-controller awfully inaccurate.

I really would have liked Nintendo to step up to the true next-gen console, like the 360 and PS3. Because the amount of quality games on the Wii is astonishingly low, how many good games are there, 5 perhaps?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just watched the tech demo where he hit balls with a light saber.

Can the current Wii not do that? I mean I realize it was a tech demo but I kind of assumed the "original" wii already had that capability.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post

Can the current Wii not do that? I mean I realize it was a tech demo but I kind of assumed the "original" wii already had that capability.
No - imagine it if you were batting in baseball.

With the current Wii controller, all you have to do is time your swing right - you can swing it above your head if you want, it won't matter.

If you use the new controls, it will see the plane your swing is on, so it is possible for you to swing over top of, or underneath the ball - you need to not only time it properly, you have to swing in the exact right place.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:

To reiterate the above, no, it cannot currently do that. The controller can currently tell that it is being moved and it can tell what direction it is being moved in. The problem is it can't tell where it is before the motion begins. You can't swing high or low ... all you can do is waggle it to trigger an action which is exactly my problem with it, the waggle is nothing more than a glorified button press.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting, then I have to wonder if this is just Nintendo's marketing strategy from the beginning or if they somehow didn't have this technology when they were first releasing the Wii.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting, then I have to wonder if this is just Nintendo's marketing strategy from the beginning or if they somehow didn't have this technology when they were first releasing the Wii.
Not available for consumer use until now. Probably power draw, component complexity are the major factors why they just went with an IR camera in the nose of the controller.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
That would be my guess. The biggest draw for the wii early on was the price point, and it would appear as though they weren't willing to bend on that. The first thing everybody thought of when they first saw it was "they have to make a lightsaber game" ... I'm sure Nintendo was thinking the same thing. Only now it seems as though they can do something like it.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm hopeful it's a step in the right direction. This is what I envisioned when I bought the Wii. It's really what is needed in the evolution of gaming. Frankly I'm bored by just pushing buttons no matter what the system. It's not so much the Wii lacking good games though it does as it's not revolutionary enough.

Heck I want to be dang near in virtual reality land. If I lift up my legs I walk. If I kick something then it has to be with the correct foot and at the right height etc. Let my battles be me really loading and shooting and hacking away. Adding a ton of realism is the next step. Not more realistic graphics or better button pushing or anything of the sort. But actual realism.

Heck I want to be able to fire a topspin shot in tennis. Hit a fade in golf. Put a spin on the bowling ball. And on and on. And not with some built in A+B move but by doing it just like I would in real life.

If it gets us closer to that then I'm a fan.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #12
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post
I'm hopeful it's a step in the right direction. This is what I envisioned when I bought the Wii. It's really what is needed in the evolution of gaming. Frankly I'm bored by just pushing buttons no matter what the system. It's not so much the Wii lacking good games though it does as it's not revolutionary enough.

Heck I want to be dang near in virtual reality land. If I lift up my legs I walk. If I kick something then it has to be with the correct foot and at the right height etc. Let my battles be me really loading and shooting and hacking away. Adding a ton of realism is the next step. Not more realistic graphics or better button pushing or anything of the sort. But actual realism.

Heck I want to be able to fire a topspin shot in tennis. Hit a fade in golf. Put a spin on the bowling ball. And on and on. And not with some built in A+B move but by doing it just like I would in real life.

It sure doesn't help when you look at a top 10 list of wii games sold and something cool and original like "madworld" is barely keeping it's head above water while something like "carnival games" sells over 3 million units.

I really wonder how far off something like what you say is. The motionplus really is the final piece in my opinion. If you could make it much smaller and cheaper I see no reason why you couldn't fit a glove with one sensor in each finger and map out a hand. Once you've got the hand mapped out, we're one step closer to that operating system that tom cruise used in Minority Report!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Just curious if you've played Wii Sports Bowling, I get wicked spin on my bowling balls. It basically involves twisting your wrist ever so slightly at the bottom of your swing. I can throw straight down the far left side of the lane (I'm a lefty) and put enough right spin on the ball to miss the headpin entirely to the right even on a really hard throw. (I.e the ball starts going straight down the left most board and start curving around half-way and crosses over the centre line before reaching the pins.)

The best way I can describe putting spin on is to have a really straight backswing and downswing, but just before your arm reaches vertical on the downswing you start twisting your wrist in the direction you want spin. By the time your arm is straight out in front of you (long after you've released the ball) your hand should be at 90 degrees rotation from it's original position. It takes some practice, but the spin in bowling is actually one of the most impressive things I've found for the Wii. I just hope in improves golfing, I can't believe how awfull putting is in Wii Sports Golf.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Hopefully this thing delivers on it's promise. I hate the Wiimote... it turns all my tennis shots into lobs, swings my bat forward on my backswing, and when I'm inches from the cup in golf it doesn't recognize my putt unless it's hard enough to jump over the hole. Not to mention how bad it is for boxing.

Nintendo should just ditch the Wii, and get working on WiiHD, which would have actual graphics and MotionPlus built into the controllers.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nintendo has been working on this dream since the power glove game out. I for one applaud them for there hard work. There console really changed the demographic of people buying consoles. What they really need to do though is catch up in graphics processing to the xbox and PS3 to make porting multi-platform games easier.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #16
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Nintendo has been working on this dream since the power glove game out. I for one applaud them for there hard work. There console really changed the demographic of people buying consoles. What they really need to do though is catch up in graphics processing to the xbox and PS3 to make porting multi-platform games easier.
Yep... but that will require a new console. The next gen Wii might be actually be decent.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #17
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You could always just go do the real sports.

Just sayin.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #18
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
It sure doesn't help when you look at a top 10 list of wii games sold and something cool and original like "madworld" is barely keeping it's head above water while something like "carnival games" sells over 3 million units.
I think that a game like MadWorld doesn't sell because the majority of people who would buy those games already own a PS3 or a 360.

The Wii isn't the right target audience for an 'M' rated game.
________
Lesbian Cam

Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #19
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
You could always just go do the real sports.

Just sayin.
It's kind of hard do those sports in a city that has snow 7-8 months of the year.

Just sayin.

________
Squirt4uuu

Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is just the typical Nintendo business model. Release something, wait until lots of people buy it, and then release the "better" edition, forcing people to buy that also.

Gameboy Advance comes out as a purple, un-rechargeable, un-backlit kid toy. A bit later they come out with the SP, which is everything the Advance always should have been. Nintendo DS comes out, and then a while later out comes the DS Lite.

Now they are making people buy basically a hardware patch to make the Wii do what most people thought it would do from the start. Its a good business model, unless people start to catch on.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motionplus , nintendo , video games , wii