Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Some more to add:

Bubble Bobble. Who even knows what the upper level looks like.
Ghostbusters. A terrible game and impossible to get up the steps with all the ghosts.
Platoon. Too easy to get lost in that trenchy sewer thing and charlie popping out everywhere.
Jurassic Park for SNES. Because you couldn't save it you would basically have to devote 20 hours of your life to it to win, and you'd just get tired of getting to some Dilophosaur-filled dead end with your night vision goggles and find out you have to go all the way back.
Was that the ghostbusters game for the C64, where you could buy new ambulances and spent most of your time driving around?

Because that game rocked.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #22
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kid Icarus was also hard (I think thats what the game is called).
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #23
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Was that the ghostbusters game for the C64, where you could buy new ambulances and spent most of your time driving around?

I agree that game was nothing short of badass...
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #24
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

The latest angry video game nerd review is Dragon's Lair - dude couldn't get past the 2nd screen. Pretty funny.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #25
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Some more to add:

Ghostbusters. A terrible game and impossible to get up the steps with all the ghosts.
Platoon. Too easy to get lost in that trenchy sewer thing and charlie popping out everywhere.
Jurassic Park for SNES. Because you couldn't save it you would basically have to devote 20 hours of your life to it to win, and you'd just get tired of getting to some Dilophosaur-filled dead end with your night vision goggles and find out you have to go all the way back.
Bubble bobble i have to disagree on. There were infinite continues. I remember being able to get throug the first 50 or so levels w/out dying.

Ghostbusters wasnt bad except for that part you have to walk up the building..... grrr more boring than hard really.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #26
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Kid Icarus was also hard (I think thats what the game is called).
Oh do I remember that game. I spent $60 (which is a lot when you are 9 years old) on that and got it home and promptly could not get past the first level for the longest time.

However, once you kind of knew what you were doing and you could actually survive the training rooms to get upgrades, it wasn't that bad... Actually was quite a fun game. I remember really liking the 4-6 levels. However, on the levels where you had to go up, I hated that once the screen scrolled up, if you fell down, you died. That was more frustrating than anything.

I'd agree with Friday the 13th, Ninja Gaiden and TMNT games too. Those were hard. Ft13 wasn't bad if you knew how to get the machete and the sweater though.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #27
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out? That wasn't hard. That guy needs to stop sucking at games - maybe he didn't eat enough Cheetos, or spent his time studying when he should have been smoking up. Boo-urns.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #28
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The most irritating for me was the Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles on NES.. there was only like 2 levels you could beat before it was almost impossible.. Also a boy and his blob on NES was tough, you never got more than a life or two and had to do the entire game like that..
+1, i knew that one was gonna be on the list, suprised it only was number 9.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #29
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think playing Deadly Towers made me quit Nintendo for a while.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #30
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out? That wasn't hard. That guy needs to stop sucking at games - maybe he didn't eat enough Cheetos, or spent his time studying when he should have been smoking up. Boo-urns.
I remember it being pretty tough. I could kick everyones ass until Tyson but I never beat him.

The play-by-play for arcade Punch-Out (body blow, body blow, left, left) haunts my dreams. What a classic.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #31
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Some more to add:

Bubble Bobble? That game was sooo easy. The only hard level was 67 or 69 where you had to jump on your bubbles to get up to the very top where the bad guys were.

I'm still looking for the final quarter heart on snes Zelda.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #32
dionfan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ah yes, Ninja Gaiden. I had the hardest time beating one of those last monsters (some big purple-headed guy that moved side to side on the roof, I think its name was the Jaquio or something like that). I finally figured out that if I climbed to the top of the wall and then jumped toward him to purposely get hit, if done at the right time and at the right angle, you would get hit and bounce off him to the top of the wall where you could stand. Must be a glitch, but I took advantage of it.

And Jurassic Park for Snes. I beat it for the first time a couple years ago. For the longest time, every time I played, all I did was look for all the dino eggs. After I found them all, I would walk around forever, sondering what to do. This would last hours. Finally one day, I found out how to do all that stuff on those green computers which helped alot. It was flukey when I actually beat it. I was just walking around aimlessly when I walked across the helicopter pad. The game suddenly ended and the credits showed. I was like.....oh.......yaaaaaahooooooo.
dionfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #33
CrispyGriz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I'm still looking for the final quarter heart on snes Zelda.
That game is insanely hard. Took me forever to beat and when i did beat it, It told me i was only half done took all my stuff and stars and said i had to start over. Haven't played it since.
CrispyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:51 AM   #34
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

how was the original Street Fighter II not mentioned? yes it was beatable and i got all the character's endings, but i broke more than one controller at how infuriating Bison was at times. it was unfair how hard he was on random occasions. sometimes i could beat him easily, but others he would just combo my ass into oblivion before i could even get a punch in. it's like the game decided before you fought him whether you were going to win or lose, and more often than not it made sure you had to give it 3 or 4 tries before he became beatable
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:37 AM   #35
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
how was the original Street Fighter II not mentioned? yes it was beatable and i got all the character's endings, but i broke more than one controller at how infuriating Bison was at times. it was unfair how hard he was on random occasions. sometimes i could beat him easily, but others he would just combo my ass into oblivion before i could even get a punch in. it's like the game decided before you fought him whether you were going to win or lose, and more often than not it made sure you had to give it 3 or 4 tries before he became beatable

Reminds me of a high school buddy that was so good killer instinct. He'd use jago (actually any character) and just combo the chit out of anyone. He was like a cyborg. If he felt like it, he'd beat you with one combo. He'd bust out combos with hits over 100. Freak.
**edit to add that getting a combo breaker in on him felt like winning.

Same thing years later when Tony Hawk came out. He could do combos in the hundreds. Nice guy but I secretly want to beat him to death with a controller.

Last edited by 4X4; 12-04-2007 at 02:39 AM.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:01 AM   #36
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

No, this was for the original NES. It sucked. So maybe it was on C64 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Bubble bobble i have to disagree on. There were infinite continues. I remember being able to get throug the first 50 or so levels w/out dying.

Ghostbusters wasnt bad except for that part you have to walk up the building..... grrr more boring than hard really.
Infinite continues? I guess maybe if you were playing two-player and could still join in while the other guy was alive. Otherwise impossible unless you used the passwords.

As for walking up the stairs in Ghostbusters, it was boring. But in ZUUL it was exceptionally hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Bubble Bobble? That game was sooo easy. The only hard level was 67 or 69 where you had to jump on your bubbles to get up to the very top where the bad guys were.
www.everyvideogame.com I defy you to get to level 67!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionfan View Post
And Jurassic Park for Snes. I beat it for the first time a couple years ago. For the longest time, every time I played, all I did was look for all the dino eggs. After I found them all, I would walk around forever, sondering what to do. This would last hours. Finally one day, I found out how to do all that stuff on those green computers which helped alot. It was flukey when I actually beat it. I was just walking around aimlessly when I walked across the helicopter pad. The game suddenly ended and the credits showed. I was like.....oh.......yaaaaaahooooooo.
I commend you sir. Ah yes, those terrible green computers. Well done on completing it. I did find out that those random letters strewn every where spell out DR HORNER I think (the MSU paleontologist who Dr. Grant in the novel and movie is loosely based on).
Old 12-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #37
StrayBullet
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ahh... Ghosts & Goblins. ....I FU***NG HATE THAT GAME!!!!! UGH! KCUF!!!!! HATE! UGH!
StrayBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #38
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I remember it being pretty tough. I could kick everyones ass until Tyson but I never beat him.

The play-by-play for arcade Punch-Out (body blow, body blow, left, left) haunts my dreams. What a classic.

gotta love Punch Out. Knockout!!!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #39
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Infinite continues? I guess maybe if you were playing two-player and could still join in while the other guy was alive. Otherwise impossible unless you used the passwords.
That was the key. No point playing Bubble Bobble on one player. Even if you do manage to pass it (which I accomplished exactly once), you get a "bad ending" unless you have both players. And both players must be alive to boot. So not only is it hard as hell on one player, you don't even get the proper ending...
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #40
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

"In 1989, every young boy in America was legally obligated to spend at least two hours a day pretending to be one of the Turtles,"

That is classic. Good stuff, great read. I hated that dam level in Ninja Turtles.

Angry Nintendo Nerd is pretty funny as well, I love his Ninja Turtle Review.