Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2022, 09:53 AM   #741
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
If it was an English speaking landlord doing the same thing, it would make headlines nationally and the landlord would be canceled out of existence
It happens every day
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #742
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, interesting and ironic take by a BC judge who has a history of lenient releases of criminals.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/h...saults-6120736

A Vancouver provincial court judge said the increasing number of stranger assaults in the city has become tragic as she sentenced a man to six months in prison for one such incident.

“People are terrified,” Judge Ellen Gordon said in sentencing Ryan Egil Aitken to serve another 109 days on top of time already served after he pleaded guilty.

Aitken’s lawyer said he had assaulted the wrong stranger with a metal pipe.

“Tourists leave Vancouver with a very negative view of what has to be the most beautiful city in the world and it’s all because of offences like this,” Gordon said.

“I apologize to the victim,” Aitken said. “It was someone I thought it was and it wasn’t.”

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/is-this-judge-...crime-1.371727

His latest run-in with the law involved charges of fraud over $5,000 and nine counts of possession of a fire arm.

Last November, Karbovanec -- a known gangster -- who police say is a danger to the public, stood before Judge Ellen Gordon. She released him on bail.

Her name is Judge Ellen Gordon, and two years ago Attorney General Wally Oppal openly criticized her after she gave convicted drunk driver Jenny Woloshyn a two-year jail term for killing 23-year old David Firenze.

"We think the sentence in this particular case is contrary to the law. The criminal justice system can never be out of touch with the public pulse," Oppal said at the time.

An appeal court later doubled Judge Gordon's sentence.

In another case, Judge Gordon sentenced a man who had for years molested his step-daughter to one year in prison.

In January 2006, June Matheson -- the woman who admitted she poisoned trees to improve the view from her west end condo -- received a discharge from Judge Gordon, and no criminal record.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:34 PM   #743
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...n-bc-1.6669041

Thousands of commuters throughout B.C.'s Lower Mainland were stranded in their cars for hours Tuesday and into Wednesday after the first major snowfall of the season caused travel mayhem across the region.

Some drivers, furious and exhausted, were stuck overnight until Wednesday morning on an eastbound section of Highway 91 — a major commuter route connecting New Westminster, Delta and Richmond just south of Vancouver.

Some expressed their anger online about uncleared roads and an apparent lack of snow tires on many vehicles.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:08 PM   #744
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. It's high time the lower mainland and greater Victoria area finally suck it up and prepare for winters like everyone else.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:20 PM   #745
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watching BC news, they had a video where a woman barely escaped with her life.
Doesn't seem like many had snow tires.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:28 PM   #746
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Just watching BC news, they had a video where a woman barely escaped with her life.
Doesn't seem like many had snow tires.
I believe it is a lower mainland problem for sure, although that would be anecdotal on my part.
I would say that anywhere else in BC outside of lakeside Okanagan, people will be as winter-ready as any other Canadians.

My own experience is that Kamloops and region has a greater need for winter tires and AWD or 4x4 than Calgary given all the hills here and the proximity to the Coquihalla.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:34 PM   #747
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most people don't have winter tires in Metro Vancouver... The ROI is just terrible given it snows maybe 10 times a year at most? And the snow is all but melted after within 3 days after day 1 at most.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:37 PM   #748
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I believe it is a lower mainland problem for sure, although that would be anecdotal on my part.
I would say that anywhere else in BC outside of lakeside Okanagan, people will be as winter-ready as any other Canadians.

My own experience is that Kamloops and region has a greater need for winter tires and AWD or 4x4 than Calgary given all the hills here and the proximity to the Coquihalla.
Don't they have a mandatory requirement for snow tires or chains across most of BC outside of the lower mainland?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 07:51 PM   #749
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snow here in Vancouver also just seems more slippery for some reason. It's this wet, heavy snow that is so much easier to slide on than the stuff I mostly remember growing up with in Calgary.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:10 PM   #750
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, that was stupid. Idiots everywhere...

Wife never made it home. She was filming down in Richmond by the Ikea and the bridges were just clogged or shutdown even at 10pm. We live in Burnaby by Burnaby mountain so there was no way she was going to make it there.

I have always just done a decent set of all weather tires out here as winters are not worth it. If it is too bad (which yesterday wasn't) I stay home. I had no issues ripping around last night.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:29 PM   #751
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Don't they have a mandatory requirement for snow tires or chains across most of BC outside of the lower mainland?
Only on highways I believe.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 09:31 PM   #752
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

It snows every year in Vancouver and every person is publicly required to express surprise and dismay. It seems they have to since so much of their identity is wrapped up in the mild winters, or something.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:58 PM   #753
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snow is way better than rain.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:15 PM   #754
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

More than 12 hours stuck in traffic, wild.

Hope people had at least a bottle to piss in.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:14 PM   #755
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bunch of cars got stuck on the hill by where I live and had to park there overnight. Talking to one guy I was trying to help, he said that that it was because the guy in the front of the line of cars saw someone he knew walking and came to a complete stop on the middle of the hill to unroll his window and talk to the person. Every car behind him had to stop. He was driving a 4x4 and was able to start going again, but every can behind him got stuck because they couldn't get traction after stopping.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:42 AM   #756
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will take full blame for the snow as I apparently transfered Quebec's weather to Vancouver on my brief trip back home to Vancouver last weekend and then brought back Vancouver weather (a little rain and 6 degrees) to Quebec City and Montreal.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:34 AM   #757
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If you are traveling the highways, yes. That's why I referenced the proximity to the Coq.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:43 AM   #758
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
If you are traveling the highways, yes. That's why I referenced the proximity to the Coq.
Even on the highways it only mandates M+S, which is stamped on nearly every all-season tire...you'd have to go out of your way to buy a performance tire that lacks M+S, so the law is toothless.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 06:24 PM   #759
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hardly read this whole thread but having moved from Texas to Burnaby I’d have to disagree with some of the sentiments said about unfriendliness. Now in my case I do have two young kids and we meet a lot of people through school but I’ve found our community to be very friendly and supportive. We live in the Burquitlam area and found it to be a wonderful place to live other than of course the cost of living being high. But everything else here has been great.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 08:35 PM   #760
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

powderjunkie beat me to it but winter tires just need to be all season with 3.5mm of tread depth and no ones checking anyways.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...t-winter-tires

It is true poor tires play into the winter driving problems here but I've watched people in trucks on flat ground spinning their tires and solution is to gun it harder. I'm not going to completely blame dumb winter drivers here but they definitely are to blame as it just creates more ice and there are so many vehicles that shouldn't be out. Busses and semis not making it up hills or over bridges though indicates its mostly just snow falling at 0C freezing and refreezing though. I think this time was particularly bad because snow really didn't start falling until about 3PM just as rush hour started and no one stayed home or went early.

On Vancouver Island as soon as there are signs of snow we shut down. Looking at traffic times probably ~50% didn't work or worked from home on Tuesday since it had snowed a few cm earlier that morning.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world