Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2024, 03:52 AM   #41
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's really really good.

Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 04:32 AM   #42
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Scott Oake also had another son who died of a drug overdose about 10 years or so ago at age 25 iirc.

There is a rehab center in Winnipeg named after him.

Scotts wife also passed a few years ago from some kidney (?) disease.

I know a lot of people do not care for him, but that is the case for 99% of all TV personalities.....meaning you cant please everyone.

I think he is great at his job though, and second to none when he does the sit down/in depth interviews.

As for the team, nice to see a solid game from them. I hate seeing this club lose, it just goes against every fiber of my being to do otherwise, regardless of "draft position".

IMO only, only losers can cheer for losing.

Last edited by transplant99; 03-31-2024 at 04:35 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 06:34 AM   #43
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too proud to get better!

Maybe we can ask Oake to give the Flames a but of magic to win the lottery. The win is less important than the effort, if this team had more talent to go with the effort they could be good. The best way to get that talent is to draft it.

This team needs some talent in a bad way.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:45 AM   #44
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Complete domination by the Flames last night. Kadri showing why he is paid 7 million bucks a year.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 08:34 AM   #45
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Kuzy has to learn to play both ends of the ice on a consistent basis. He needs to earn his spot in the lineup like everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
The win is less important than the effort, if this team had more talent to go with the effort they could be good. The best way to get that talent is to draft it.

This team needs some talent in a bad way.
Regarding the first post, I think a lot of people (not directing this at you, Dion) read/hear that a player has this or that shortcoming, and they just keep focusing on that. Is Kuzmenko ever going to win the Selke? Unlikely.

But do you know what he is? He's gaddamned talented. He makes plays. And he has fun on the ice doing it. This team needs much more talent, and Kuzmenko oozes it. His play has sparked Huberdeau, Sharangovich, and now Kadri and Pospisil. He is exactly what the team needs, and his plays are rubbing off on guys, causing them to make more plays and play with more flare. I am already tired of people saying he needs to be better in his own zone - yes, and the coaches are working on it - let's embrace the skill, and root for a guy that is showing more offensive flare than anyone we have seen here since, what - Huselius?

I think the Kuzmenko - Kadri - Pospisil line looks fantastic. Kadri can carry the puck. Pospisil causes chaos and creates space, both with his physicality and his speed, and Kuzmenko can turn space into magic.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 08:35 AM   #46
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He's really really good.

You can jump to 45 seconds if you want to skip the drum music and just see the trick.

There is a angled mirror in the box he's hiding behind. It's why the camera only pans so far afterwards instead of going all the way around.

There is a Crunch Labs box for kids that does the same thing (recommended btw).
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 08:37 AM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Complete domination by the Flames last night. Kadri showing why he is paid 7 million bucks a year.
Kadri isn't being talked about enough, IMO. Easily the best skater on the team this year (and I am Coleman's biggest fan).

Yes, he was awful for the final 20 games last year, but I think we have to file that away - the room was a shambles. Are they supposed to paly through that? Yes, but some guys are better at it than others. As of this year, Kadri is a steal at $7M/. And he works hard every night.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 09:10 AM   #48
EN FUEGO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I stood next to Scott Oake in the line for the bathroom at the dome a month ago, and I'm 6 ft and he seemed to tower over me. 6'2 would seem on the low end based on my recollection.

EN FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 09:14 AM   #49
Bubba17
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Is Bieksa kidding? Terrible pass? It was a great backhand sauce. Sure it took a lot to take the pass like Weegar, but it was the only way to make that pass.
I don't think he meant terrible, I think the comment was made as a pass that wasn't perfect for a one time. I think he was talking about a tough pass to handle.
Bubba17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 09:37 AM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba17 View Post
I don't think he meant terrible, I think the comment was made as a pass that wasn't perfect for a one time. I think he was talking about a tough pass to handle.
Yeah, he was trying to give Weegar more credit, that he made the play from a tough pass. Just worded poorly.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:57 AM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, he was trying to give Weegar more credit, that he made the play from a tough pass. Just worded poorly.
He said "great player, terrible pass". Weird.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 09:59 AM   #52
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Zary is 6 foot 178.5 lbs and oake is 6'2" and 4' wide according to his x account.

The most interesting thing trying to compare these 2 was actually finding out that his youngest son is Darcy oake. He was awesome on Britain's got talent. Made it to the final so I assume he was the size of Darcy at one point. Also shows tidbits at how great oake was as a father even tho he's never mentioned by name.

Huh. Look at that. Well, thanks for those, I'd never heard of him but I do like a good illusionist.

Oh...and we won a hockey game too! Look at that!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:00 AM   #53
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Scott Oake can be cringy. But he's much better paired with Leslie. And both Zary and especially Huberdeau were really articulate so that helped.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:09 AM   #54
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He said "great player, terrible pass". Weird.
It was weird. But he is an ex hockey player, not a professional linguist. And live TV is not easy.
Old 03-31-2024, 10:29 AM   #55
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Around the League Report

Spoiler!
Old 03-31-2024, 10:34 AM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think I saw Markstrom reading a book for a while there.

Is he studying for the LSAT?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:53 AM   #57
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Scott Oake also had another son who died of a drug overdose about 10 years or so ago at age 25 iirc.

There is a rehab center in Winnipeg named after him.

Scotts wife also passed a few years ago from some kidney (?) disease.

I know a lot of people do not care for him, but that is the case for 99% of all TV personalities.....meaning you cant please everyone.

I think he is great at his job though, and second to none when he does the sit down/in depth interviews.

As for the team, nice to see a solid game from them. I hate seeing this club lose, it just goes against every fiber of my being to do otherwise, regardless of "draft position".

IMO only, only losers can cheer for losing.
Bruce Oake was also a battle rapper. So performing/being on a mic clearly carried forward in the family.

P-DAZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 02:13 PM   #58
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Something interesting I just realized today... Only 14 of the 32 teams have a positive goal differential, while 17 are in the negative (there's one team at exactly zero).

Is this the beginning of the next era of only the top third of the league being competitive again? I wonder if the rising trend in goals and points has less to do with rule changes and skill creep, and more to do with the ten or so teams who have who have been able to stack their rosters.

Does Reinhart get 50 playing in CGY, STL, OTT, etc? Does Hyman even get 20 playing on any other line in the league? McKinnon, as awesome as he is, isn't putting up 100 pts on a team by himself like he'd have to here or in SJ etc. I doubt even McDavid gets 100 points somewhere like ARI or CBJ for example.

As someone who lived through an era of teams like CGY being unable to compete, this is a bit of a worrying trend. 7 teams at 50+ goal differential, 3 in the 40s and then there's one at 33, 3 at 22, 20, 19, 1 at 0 and the rest of the league is negative. Of the top 20 in points, only Kucherov, Forsberg, Kaprisov, Point and Crosby aren't on one of the 7 50+ teams.

Mind you, it might not be as bad as I initially thought, when you consider what we might have looked like today if we traded Huberdeau and didn't sign Kadri (but still signed Weegar and kept Monny and the first). In other words, there's a definite argument that most if not all of our situation is of our own doing. I mean the jury's out on whether we'd be able to use the cap space on anyone worth signing vs them signing in more attractive locales, but the argument is at least a very good one.

Anyway, still a bit of a worrying trend that we're back to 7-10 teams being competitive again.

Edit: just want to quickly add that I really like Kadri and have no problem with his salary. I only mentioned not signing him, because then we'd still have Monny and the first we gave up.

Last edited by FanIn80; 03-31-2024 at 02:16 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 02:26 PM   #59
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Something interesting I just realized today... Only 14 of the 32 teams have a positive goal differential, while 17 are in the negative (there's one team at exactly zero).

Is this the beginning of the next era of only the top third of the league being competitive again? I wonder if the rising trend in goals and points has less to do with rule changes and skill creep, and more to do with the ten or so teams who have who have been able to stack their rosters.

Does Reinhart get 50 playing in CGY, STL, OTT, etc? Does Hyman even get 20 playing on any other line in the league? McKinnon, as awesome as he is, isn't putting up 100 pts on a team by himself like he'd have to here or in SJ etc. I doubt even McDavid gets 100 points somewhere like ARI or CBJ for example.

As someone who lived through an era of teams like CGY being unable to compete, this is a bit of a worrying trend. 7 teams at 50+ goal differential, 3 in the 40s and then there's one at 33, 3 at 22, 20, 19, 1 at 0 and the rest of the league is negative. Of the top 20 in points, only Kucherov, Forsberg, Kaprisov, Point and Crosby aren't on one of the 7 50+ teams.

Mind you, it might not be as bad as I initially thought, when you consider what we might have looked like today if we traded Huberdeau and didn't sign Kadri (but still signed Weegar and kept Monny and the first). In other words, there's a definite argument that most if not all of our situation is of our own doing. I mean the jury's out on whether we'd be able to use the cap space on anyone worth signing vs them signing in more attractive locales, but the argument is at least a very good one.

Anyway, still a bit of a worrying trend that we're back to 7-10 teams being competitive again.

Edit: just want to quickly add that I really like Kadri and have no problem with his salary. I only mentioned not signing him, because then we'd still have Monny and the first we gave up.
I suppose even if true- is it that teams are unable to compete- or in some cases are actively tanking if not competitive (I realize this may be a subtle distinction). for example the Hawks will be fine soon enough. One hopes in Calgary too there is for now some honesty about their situation- they could have cobbled together a different result if they didn't sell off like they did (thank god) etc
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 02:27 PM   #60
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

I think it’s because of the parody in the league. Anyone can beat anyone these days.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote