Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #1381
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

hmmm, damn, thought the trailer looked really stupid. The angst ridden teen annoyed me almost as much as the gene splicing angle.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #1382
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well kind of just feels like a way to push the renovations they wanted to do at Universal Studios L.A. and drive more people there.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #1383
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think the gene splicing thing is a way of getting back to their roots. In the first one the big question was, how do you control these things? The famous quote we see all the time that was just posted a page ago. Well now they have shown that there is a way to control them and we are good at it. Ok, but that wasn't enough, now they had to take it to the next step and start genetically altering what they had created.

Quote:
Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now
[bangs on the table]

Dr. Ian Malcolm: you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...
Quote:
Dr. Ian Malcolm: John, the kind of control you're attempting simply is... it's not possible. If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is.
Further sends home the message from the first film, we shouldn't be tampering with this stuff because even if we find a way to control it we will always find a way to lose that control through our own need to expand and explore. Or maybe that is to deep for a movie about dinosaurs.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 11-25-2014 at 11:18 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #1384
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gene splicing has been a theme since the beginning even in the books.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #1385
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope this new dinosaur is like a T-Rex that shoots raptors out of it's mouth.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #1386
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monster of the week
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #1387
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

What bothers me about it is it doesn't have the ambiance or subtlety of the original. The gene splicing thing on its own is not a bad idea but splicing two together to make a super dinosaur that rampages the park that has futuristic everything seems weird. The original did it right where the dinosaurs seemed mystical and the pacing made the special effects still have some novelty to it but the oversaturation of special effects and cheesy superdinosaur plot takes it really far away from the roots.

They should have the splicing result in random mutations that aren't immediately witnessed that results in population changes with a park that has a prehistoric or Jurassic theme and not the futuristic theme, it conflicts with the title of the park. It's like a park called future world having horse and buggy rides. My two cents atleast.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #1388
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

this line: "depends on what kind of dinosaur they cooked up in that lab"

The dialogue is what scares me the most with this movie.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #1389
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm going to remain skeptical on this one.

"You just went and made a new dinosaur? Probably not a good idea."

That guy is going to bug me. His only couple of lines of dialogue in that trailer GMG. Riding a bike with raptors? I'm assuming they're all running from the scary GMO dinosaur, but still pretty cheesy. I really hope they don't screw up the CG in this one either. The original in 1993 absolutely nailed it. I worry that now they'll try and go over & above with the CG and it'll just end up looking weird. Looking forward to seeing GMO dino, though...not that any of them aren't GM.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #1390
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet trailer
Old 11-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #1391
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It was decent. Some info on the context of the story:

They create a new dinosaur because the park is beginning to decline in attendance. People are no longer driven to the park because it's all been seen now. The filthy rich guy running the corp, which used to be InGen (Irrfan Khan) orders them to take this route to help attract visitors. So the scientists cook up something interesting in the lab, but isn't natural and obviously backfires. I think that's a fresh and interesting premise, besides, the first film was all about genetic modification to begin with (using frog dna etc), don't see how more modification (that ####ing with nature theme) isn't true to the franchise.

For those crying about "trained" raptors. There will be no trained raptors, as confirmed by the director. Pratt is the raptor guy and has clearly studied them. Perhaps he's spent enough time with them to become one of the pack, and avoid being made a meal, as Grant did. Perhaps they're running from the thing in the final scene.

Also fear not, T-Rex has a role in the film. I like how they've kept his scene under wraps so far. And yes, there are animatronics being used, from the same company that supplied the original JP. Basically going about it the same as the original film. Closeups are animatronic, wide shots and larger creatures are purely CGI'd.

I've done my homework, and have faith that it'll be a good flick. There's talk from supporting actors that did some scenes in New Orleans that there are some very "iconic" scenes in the film, much like the first. Which is awesome to hear.

What I'm saying is don't judge a film by it's teaser 6 months ahead of release.

If we're gonna do that, then Avengers 2 is the dumbest blockbuster trailer I've seen in years. But I know the film won't be that bad.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #1392
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Agree on some parts and disagree on others but you have to admit the dialogue was pretty bad. Seems like the dialogue was added on after the action script was written.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #1393
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hard to judge the quality of dialogue in a 2 minutes trailer where everything is taken out of context and turned into one-liners.

I thought it looked great. Excited to have a big summer blockbuster that doesn't have something to do with a super hero, Michael Bay, or Disney.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chill Cosby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #1394
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
What bothers me about it is it doesn't have the ambiance or subtlety of the original. The gene splicing thing on its own is not a bad idea but splicing two together to make a super dinosaur that rampages the park that has futuristic everything seems weird. The original did it right where the dinosaurs seemed mystical and the pacing made the special effects still have some novelty to it but the oversaturation of special effects and cheesy superdinosaur plot takes it really far away from the roots.
Admittedly, I didn't listen to sound yet because I was at work, so if that's what the premise is, I am quite disappointed. I will watch the trailer in full detail when I get home.

EDIT: djsFlames brings context!

Last edited by Codes; 11-25-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:39 AM   #1395
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2014, 04:20 AM   #1396
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You just know that whatever they've done to make the raptors compliant and friendly will short circuit and go very wrong at some climatic point in the movie.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:40 AM   #1397
basketcase
Draft Pick

I hate movie trailers. They're often misleading.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #1398
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
You just know that whatever they've done to make the raptors compliant and friendly will short circuit and go very wrong at some climatic point in the movie.
Clearly they've literally taken a page from the novel '3001: The Final Odyssey' and have domesticated the Raptors to serve as cheap labour for the park...
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #1399
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Chris Pratt doesn't say "Clever girl" at some point I'm going to be very disappointed.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #1400
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
If Chris Pratt doesn't say "Clever girl" at some point I'm going to be very disappointed.
Surfing the old JP IMDB's I discovered the actor who originally said that line, Bob Peck, passed away! Actually it was in 1999.

RIP to the actor who gave us one of the best scenes in the movie.

*#(@ it, JP marathon this weekend.

Also, this: