Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #121
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think like Canada they haven't decided anything, so we might get a 5 eyes that's actually 3 eyes (Australia, NZ and US) not sharing data completely with Canada and the UK.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #122
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think like Canada they haven't decided anything, so we might get a 5 eyes that's actually 3 eyes (Australia, NZ and US) not sharing data completely with Canada and the UK.
I would really worry about the amount of influence China has with Australia and NZ
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #123
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

All to do with Chinese propaganda and HK

Quote:
-Twitter and Facebook have suspended numerous accounts that are believed to be tied to a state-backed information campaign originating from inside China.

-Facebook said it took down several pages, groups and accounts involved in the activity, while Twitter suspended 936 accounts associated with the misinformation campaign.

-Twitter is also barring state-controlled news media entities from advertising on the platform.
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/08/19/twitter-accuses-china-of-running-disinformation-campaign-against-hong-kong-protesters.html

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #124
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Good. Troll farms are the work of dictatorial governments who need to control the message for their own self-interests. No doubt they have people and bots working relentlessly on this to shape the message over social media.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #125
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Good. Troll farms are the work of dictatorial governments who need to control the message for their own self-interests. No doubt they have people and bots working relentlessly on this to shape the message over social media.
I'm glad for them to block the troll farms, but a bit disappointed they continue to allow state media arms such as Global Times to keep pumping stuff out. Supposedly independent media outlets have even had the exact same headlines on some anti HK items they've shared in recent days. Funny that would happen with supposedly competing publications...

I think the West is far from having woken up to the danger that China represents. I wouldn't honestly be writing this if I was still in the PRC, but things are moving so much faster than most people are aware. Alarm bells should be ringing much more loudly.

I am not anti-China by any means, but there are aspects of Chinese world view and approach that starkly contrast with Western values and ideology and will very likely impose in uncomfortable ways soon.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #126
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I'm glad for them to block the troll farms, but a bit disappointed they continue to allow state media arms such as Global Times to keep pumping stuff out. Supposedly independent media outlets have even had the exact same headlines on some anti HK items they've shared in recent days. Funny that would happen with supposedly competing publications...

I think the West is far from having woken up to the danger that China represents. I wouldn't honestly be writing this if I was still in the PRC, but things are moving so much faster than most people are aware. Alarm bells should be ringing much more loudly.

I am not anti-China by any means, but there are aspects of Chinese world view and approach that starkly contrast with Western values and ideology and will very likely impose in uncomfortable ways soon.
Since you lived there for a long time (didn't know you are out now), do you think you could give an example of things that are moving fast? Is it social policy? foreign policy? military things?

I was thinking posting that from Shanghai (still in your profile) might be a bad thing but as long as you are out of there, that's a huge relief.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #127
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
The same headlines are not surprising given the amount of control China has over the media. Chinese State propaganda directives to news outlets have supposedly been leaked.
Spoiler!

Hong Kong police were caught on a hospital CCTV torturing a captured elderly man in hospital. This was released by a Hong Kong political party following initial refusal to acknowledge accusations by the police and is at least the second case where someone's been beaten in hospital. The first was a youth protester who sustained a brain hemorrhage in police custody. Those two cops have now been suspended and charged.

Last edited by FlameOn; 08-20-2019 at 09:19 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #128
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/twitte...-kong-protests
Quote:
Twitter Shuts Down 200,000 Chinese Accounts for Spreading Disinformation About Hong Kong Protests
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #129
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Infographic released by the Hong Kong Teachers Union explains the changes proposed by the extradition bill that Hong Kong people are currently protesting about. Basically it takes extradition requests at face value, removes the legislative council approval of extradition requests, and consolidates this power with the chief executive, who is effectively chosen by a panel of Mainland appointees.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #130
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m guessing the end result of this is just China moving up taking full control of Hong Kong by 20 years.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #131
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’m guessing the end result of this is just China moving up taking full control of Hong Kong by 20 years.
And the rest of us in 50.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #132
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Highly unlikely.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #133
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
From a geopolitical standpoint, this will be viewed as a significant failure by PRC leadership internally and externally. They've effectively taken full control of a territory that they already had de-facto control over, but lost any chance of peaceful reintegration with Taiwan. Any proposed, one country, two systems proposal for Taiwan/PRC unification will be laughed at by Taiwan as a sham.

This will also cause significant damage to foreign investor confidence in China (63% of China's foreign investment capital flowed through HK) and have long and lasting impact on Hong Kong property values (which was being used by mainland elite to launder money). Which all could have been avoided if they had just pulled the bill for "re-assessment" and found some other sneaky way to push it through at a later point, but PRC party pride prevented them from doing so.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #134
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

UK Foreign Ministry has revealed that one of it's consular workers was detained at the border by Chinese immigration officials and has been missing since the 8th.

Quote:
The UK Foreign Office has expressed concern over reports that a Hong Kong consulate employee has been detained at the Chinese border.

Media reports say Simon Cheng, who is thought to be from Hong Kong, is believed to have gone missing on 8 August while on a business trip.

The Foreign Office said it was "seeking further information from authorities in Guangdong Province and Hong Kong".

The British embassy in Beijing is providing support to his family.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are concerned by reports that a member of our team has been detained while returning to Hong Kong from Shenzhen."

Shenzhen, in south-east China, links Hong Kong to the Chinese mainland.

Local outlet HKFP reports that Mr Cheng is a trade and investment officer at the Scottish Development International section of the consulate.

It says he travelled to a business event in Shenzhen on 8 August via the Lo Wu immigration control point.

His girlfriend told news site HK01 he had planned to travel home by train the same day, but did not return.

She shared screenshots of online messages from Mr Cheng, in which he wrote he was passing through the border, before adding "pray for me".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49403619
Old 08-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #135
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I would really worry about the amount of influence China has with Australia and NZ
Oh yeah huge influence here. The Aussie economy is pretty much propped up by resource exports to China, Chinese property investors, and Chinese students.

This was in the news today. The Chinese own a mine in Australia that is located on a top secret missile testing site.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...20-p52isk.html

Also a few years back the idiots running this country leased the Port of Darwin to the Chinese for 99 years. That’s right Australia’s most strategic port location is being run by China.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #136
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Oh yeah huge influence here. The Aussie economy is pretty much propped up by resource exports to China, Chinese property investors, and Chinese students.

This was in the news today. The Chinese own a mine in Australia that is located on a top secret missile testing site.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...20-p52isk.html

Also a few years back the idiots running this country leased the Port of Darwin to the Chinese for 99 years. That’s right Australia’s most strategic port location is being run by China.
Technically the port is leased by a privately held company from China and isn't ruled by China.

Although when you are a Chinese billionaire, I am sure you are probably closely tied to the country's ruling party, so maybe in practice it is the same thing.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #137
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are rich in China, it's pretty much impossible to escape influence by the CCP. Even publicly traded Hong Kong majority owned companies, there is no escaping Chinese ruling party influence. Take for example Cathy Pacific's CEO for example.

When Chinese authorities demanded that the CEO, Rupert Hogg (who was well liked by employees and turned around the company, posting it's first profit in three years), turn over the names of all Cathy Pacific employees who had participated in the protests, the CEO defended his employees by only submitting his own name to the Chinese government. The majority shareholder of Swire group, owner of CP, was then summoned to Beijing, and both Rupert Hogg and his deputy were forced to submitted their resignations.
https://onemileatatime.com/cathay-pa...ion-backstory/

This is the type of influence Hong Kong does not want... but pretty much can't escape that this point.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #138
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I worked with a hilarious guy who when giving advice and teaching me would always half jokingly state that "and remember the Chinese are coming". Always some variation, "In 20 years the biggest issue in North America will be China".

He'd say it so jokingly but then over beers he'd always go into detail about how he thought a) China would eventually make a move in this world and B) We'd be completely unprepared for it.

This was a long time ago, it's almost disconcerting to see that the possibility is very real.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #139
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I still believe China will self destruct before having influence over us. Even with propaganda, it's a very fragile system. People who have money, immediately move it out of China. I mean would you rather have 7,000,000 Yuan or 1,000,000 USD?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #140
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
UK Foreign Ministry has revealed that one of it's consular workers was detained at the border by Chinese immigration officials and has been missing since the 8th.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49403619
Guys. China is not that bad, you are just listening to Western propaghanda. This happens in western democracies all the time. Diplomats just go missing. It's a common occurrence.