Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #121
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.tsn.ca/video/with-two-im...3nJ_G1F25DUZdE

Button and Dreger both think the Flames are no doubt an improved team with the Markstrom and Tanev signings.

Another quote from Dreger about the Flames not being that confident they were getting Markstrom which makes sense when thinking about the Canucks but I think he implies again the Oilers being the favorite.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #122
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

With recent depth pickups Flames now have a 20 man roster signed

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangipane
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Nordstrom-Ryan-Simon

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Nesterov

Markstrom
Rittich

With Kylington the only RFA to sign.

I could see a Ryan trade possibly to free up some space to bring in some other guys but with the value out there right now I don’t see that as possible. Only thing left is potentially a big deal involving Gaudreau, Monahan or Hanifin but I am skeptical anything like that happens this offseason.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #123
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we may see some movement when arbitration season is over.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #124
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since this thread was created the Flames have signed Nordstrom, Simon, Nesterov, and Leivo. I think all of these depth signings have helped turn this into the best Free Agent signing period of Treliving’s tenure and perhaps in the history of the franchise.

It is rare if ever the Flames land one of the big fish like they did with Markstrom. I am also not sure why some in the media have been saying it was a huge overpay. Markstrom is a top 5 goalie but only the 9th highest cap hit at his position. Many goalies are starters in their 31-36 aged seasons. A true slam dunk for the organization.

Tanev is not ideal but a top 4D for 4.5M is a decent price. I just wish it was 2 years instead of 4 but end of the day Tanev will be a key member of the blueline next year and brings a lot of leadership and intangibles the team covets.

The depth signings are a result of the flat cap but Treliving has done a great job getting guys in the 26-28 prime age range to come in at the minimum. Replacing Reider, and Jankowski with Simon and Leivo are upgrades imo and adding Nordstrom and Nesterov as depth were solid additions.

Absolutely this has been a success. In fact it is such a success that I am not pining for that franchise altering trade I was certain would happen once Dallas beat them.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 11:14 AM   #125
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally agree, Vinny01

Regarding Markstom, fun fact:

Markstrom / Rittich is the youngest goalie tandem the Flames have had since 13/14 (Ramo/Berra) and the second youngest since 09/10 (Kipper/McElhinney)

(adding the ages of the two goalies together)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #126
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn’t be happier with the off-season so far and eagerly looking forward to camp starting!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #127
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Markstrom alone makes the free agency season a success.

But the fact that they signed Markstrom, Tanev and Leivo, all off the Canuck roster, for nothing, makes the very successful FA season taste that much sweeter.

The 3 guys cost $11.375M. Last year they made a combined $9.617M. So for a TOTAL raise of $1.75M, the Flames took a #1 goalie, a top 4 defenseman, and a middle 6 winger off their divisional rival's roster. For nothing!

Give me a Hallelujah!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #128
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think this team would have a much better chance of beating the Stars in round 1. That makes the off-season a win
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #129
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The value signings he has made over the last few days have been significant in improving the depth.

We have solid options now that may not even make the starting roster and force younger guys to push harder than in years past if they want a shot.

Depth this year with a condensed schedule should be even more valuable than before too.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote