Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Using multiple monitors/keyboard/mouse on one PC

I have my main PC in my basement that I occasionally share in some ways with other people.

For example, my wife might need to log into work, my kids occasionally watch netflix or want to draw, and my nephew likes to play some simple video games (normally on my Steam account).

What I would like is the ability to have someone come by, do their thing for a few minutes without making me stop working/surfing CP/etc. This means they would need to have their own keyboard, mouse and be able to use one of (or a portion of) my monitors, without them having the ability to mess up what I am doing.

Bonus points if my nephew and I could both play games on my Steam account at the same time.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does your PC run UNIX? Because UNIX can do that.

There are also ways to setup Windows Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate PCs to allow multiple simultaneous remote users to use different programs on multiple desktops, but you would need to do some wonky VM stuff to get it working locally I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I wonder if it would just be easier to have a second computer there. Assuming your monitor has 2 inputs your main PC could use DVI and the guest PC could use VGA. Then if somebody needs to drop by they you can just switch inputs on the monitor.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Host a VM on your machine that others can log into with a thin client. Multiple sessions with individual keyboard/mice will not work in Windows 7 even with a KVM. The other option is the Linux side of course if you want multiple sessions.

If they have to share the same monitors in your own space, I'd build a guest PC that is an el-cheapo thin client that runs off the resources and horsepower of the VM on your main machine. I have done a similar thing with all my family members. It helps make use off all the excess old junk lying around that can't be used in modern PCs like old ram, cpus, motherboards, videocards, etc. Makes me feel better about not wasting stuff that still works.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 07-03-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Does your PC run UNIX? Because UNIX can do that.

There are also ways to setup Windows Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate PCs to allow multiple simultaneous remote users to use different programs on multiple desktops, but you would need to do some wonky VM stuff to get it working locally I assume.
As much as installing TS on my Server 2008R2 VM would be interesting (and completely simple to accomplish) , the main issue is still having input from one keyboard/mouse going to the RDP session while mine are still focused on my tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I wonder if it would just be easier to have a second computer there. Assuming your monitor has 2 inputs your main PC could use DVI and the guest PC could use VGA. Then if somebody needs to drop by they you can just switch inputs on the monitor.
That's kind of what I do now, physically switching cables on my 2nd monitor, but the second PC is really outdated and dying and I would much rather put money into upgrading my PC than replacing it.

I am really sure I have heard of a product that does what I want for Windows, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it is called.
edit: I think it might be a MS product, I recall seeing a video talking about a single PC in a classroom being used with multiple sets of monitors/keyboard/mouse all connected through USB.

Last edited by Rathji; 07-03-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I am really sure I have heard of a product that does what I want for Windows, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it is called.
edit: I think it might be a MS product, I recall seeing a video talking about a single PC in a classroom being used with multiple sets of monitors/keyboard/mouse all connected through USB.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualmousekeyboa/

There you go.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
That would be exactly what I need, if it was in more than just the planning stages.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.ncomputing.com/

Tried this at work one year. It worked but the computer my boss wanted to use it for was not quite powerful enough and he was too cheap to upgrade the computer too. He just brushed it off as an inexpensive failure. We tried it after he moved on with newer computers and it worked fine, but we just didn't have a need for it so we got rid of it.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123452

A guide for a VM solution
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
++

USB passthrough of a second KB/M pair to a VM is probably the simplest way.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

That might be the best option.