Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #1001
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I cancelled Shaw services in June and sent all their equipment back shortly after. Got a bill in the mail today for over $300 for the unreturned equipment. Had to contact them and give them the tracking numbers of the returned packages. I also had the email confirmation that it was received. They are reversing the charges but keep a lookout for those cancelling Shaw and sending the equipment back.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #1002
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
I cancelled Shaw services in June and sent all their equipment back shortly after. Got a bill in the mail today for over $300 for the unreturned equipment. Had to contact them and give them the tracking numbers of the returned packages. I also had the email confirmation that it was received. They are reversing the charges but keep a lookout for those cancelling Shaw and sending the equipment back.
Same thing happened to my buddy. He had the tracking numbers too and had it reversed.

Anyone returning equipment like this should use their phone to take a pick of the tracking info. It's just so much easier to pull up when needed than the actual slip.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #1003
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Same thing happened to me. Returned all the equipment, all packaged into one big box, back in June.

Got a letter from Shaw saying I owe $880 for outstanding equipment, so I contacted them and they said they have the tracking info and will look into it.

A month later, I checked My Shaw app and noticed they credited me for half the equipment (now owing $300 or so), which didn't make sense because they were all shipped in the same box. Contacted them again and they said they'll put a track on it.

Checked My Shaw app just now and notice I owe $0, so I'm guessing it's taking them some time to sort out all of the returned equipment since everyone is signing with Telus these days.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #1004
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Telecom and ISP companies don't care about retention, it's all about the new sign ups.
That is fair. If some executive made the decision that new sign ups are more lucrative than retention that is within their right.

Just need to recognize it and move on for a few years.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #1005
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like it is clear what the strategy is now. If you have internet and want a mobile phone with them you can get a better deal.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/07/30/s...45-25gb-plans/

So I think their internet prices will stay high, but be offset by their very low mobile price giving a good bundle price.

Cavet that this is actually running off WiFi with cellular backup, and it is Freedom network.

Hard pass for me, but maybe will work for others.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #1006
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sounds perfect for me. I'm currently on 7/11 where I pay about $30 a year, for the small amount I use it. Free is better. On the rare occasion I'd need data, I could pay the $10. Might switch my wife, too, as she pays about $30/month but doesn't use near that amount. I assume you could get more than one on your Shaw account?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #1007
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think I read you can add 6 lines to your internet plan, all free ($20 activation per line).

I'm wondering who can get these lines? I'm currently stuck on telus (was 1 free year in the condo I bought). Honestly between the crap service and hardware I get with telus and this deal I may cancel the rest of my free plan and switch to shaw. I don't want to miss this deal. But I'm kinda wondering if I could port my # over to my parents internet plan (they already have shaw) and be one of their 6 free lines?
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #1008
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Looks like it is clear what the strategy is now. If you have internet and want a mobile phone with them you can get a better deal.

So I think their internet prices will stay high, but be offset by their very low mobile price giving a good bundle price.

Cavet that this is actually running off WiFi with cellular backup, and it is Freedom network.

The site itself is up now too: shaw.ca/mobile

Those deals aren't bad for the demographic they're targeting. I would be strongly interested, but with their weak reception in institutional spaces (UCalgary/Foothills Campus), and no coverage in the Canmore/Banff area's, not willing to give them another shot yet.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #1009
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

From roaming around the shaw mobile site I see you can get these plans even if you are not a Fiber+ customer. Goes from $0 pay as you go data plan to $15. or the unlimited plan goes from $45 to $85 which is still an amazing price even comparing to the Koodoo and Fido level offerings.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #1010
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The site itself is up now too: shaw.ca/mobile

Those deals aren't bad for the demographic they're targeting. I would be strongly interested, but with their weak reception in institutional spaces (UCalgary/Foothills Campus), and no coverage in the Canmore/Banff area's, not willing to give them another shot yet.
Wasn't the weak coverage issues in building prior to them upgrading the network to LTE? which was years ago. also, they show coverage in Canmore/Banff.

Curious if this is still an ongoing problem or based on old info, I've been with freedom for 7+ years now but I don't go into institutional spaces. I know I went to Golden on a ski trip a couple of years ago and it worked just fine. The only issue then was jumping off the freedom home network and paying for roaming which wasn't much. But with Shaw, it would all be part of their nationwide area.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #1011
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those mobile plan prices are very competitive, I would be absolutely shocked if they lasted though. Maybe 6 months before they raise prices substantially?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #1012
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
Wasn't the weak coverage issues in building prior to them upgrading the network to LTE? which was years ago. also, they show coverage in Canmore/Banff.

Curious if this is still an ongoing problem or based on old info, I've been with freedom for 7+ years now but I don't go into institutional spaces. I know I went to Golden on a ski trip a couple of years ago and it worked just fine. The only issue then was jumping off the freedom home network and paying for roaming which wasn't much. But with Shaw, it would all be part of their nationwide area.
It still is a problem with dead zones in certain buildings at both campuses. Wi-fi calling is a band-aid solution, but with one of my friends when they're calling from foothills, the reception generally is weak still.

Their coverage zone for Banff/Canmore is 'nationwide', but they have different data/plan limits on those, as well the connection is still very spotty; again with first hand experience from my friend.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #1013
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
Same thing happened to me. Returned all the equipment, all packaged into one big box, back in June.

Got a letter from Shaw saying I owe $880 for outstanding equipment, so I contacted them and they said they have the tracking info and will look into it.

A month later, I checked My Shaw app and noticed they credited me for half the equipment (now owing $300 or so), which didn't make sense because they were all shipped in the same box. Contacted them again and they said they'll put a track on it.

Checked My Shaw app just now and notice I owe $0, so I'm guessing it's taking them some time to sort out all of the returned equipment since everyone is signing with Telus these days.

Wait till you get a call from a collection agency. That’s what happened to me. Sent me to collections for the equipment charge less than 30 days after I ended service. Had the tracking number to prove it and shows they had received it, but didn’t update the account for 10 days. Lady at the collection agency was pissed at Shaw after I sent her a screenshot of what was going on. Especially since Shaw actually owed me money once the equipment charge was reversed. The staff I dealt with on the phone about this are really easy to deal with, but damn the rest of their service sucks.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #1014
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Thinking of putting my parents on the $0 plan. They currently both use pay as you go phones and it doesn’t cost much but free is much better and they will have unlimited talk.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #1015
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thinking of putting my parents on the $0 plan. They currently both use pay as you go phones and it doesn’t cost much but free is much better and they will have unlimited talk.
If they want basic data it's $10/90days and that's still a darn good deal. My parents are getting in on my plan for sure. No question about it.

I wonder if you can have separate plans for different phone numbers. I wouldn't want my data being shared with my parents.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #1016
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is fair. If some executive made the decision that new sign ups are more lucrative than retention that is within their right.

Just need to recognize it and move on for a few years.
What do you think, industry churn rates are? Anywhere close to your narrative?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #1017
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post

Old phone maybe? Their LTE service on band 13 is good almost everywhere I've been in the city. Mind you, need on of their phones tho to get that level of service.

And the other part of this, you have 2GB on Robellus network anyways with the Shaw Mobile's unlimited plan. Unless your house is completely off Freedom net, you have no wifi internet at home, it'd be really difficult to use up 2GB roaming while just driving around or hiking/camping in Banff/Canmore.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #1018
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
What do you think, industry churn rates are? Anywhere close to your narrative?
I don’t know. I don’t work in telco.

What narrative? I just said there was a business decision somewhere not to give reduced rates to incentivize loyalty. I said I understand and will move on.

I think that is supported by multiple stories here and my own experience.

Is that false or offend you in some way?
Old 07-30-2020, 10:08 PM   #1019
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t know. I don’t work in telco.

What narrative? I just said there was a business decision somewhere not to give reduced rates to incentivize loyalty. I said I understand and will move on.

I think that is supported by multiple stories here and my own experience.

Is that false or offend you in some way?
Haha, definitely not offended, its not privileged info.
Familiarize yourself with annual reports, their metrics and maybe invest.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:51 AM   #1020
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anybody know where a Shaw mobile store is? I can’t seem to find any info on their site. I saw it on the news but I don’t recall hearing if they said where they were. It looked like Market Mall.