Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #201
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Odd. I have them on all 3 map apps I have.

Just to check again, it's the scale like at the bottom left here:

Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #202
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
Odd. I have them on all 3 map apps I have.

Just to check again, it's the scale like at the bottom left here:

Not on iOS though.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #203
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

The scale bar in the Android version of maps is turned off by default. Maybe that's the case in iOS.
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #204
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
The scale bar in the Android version of maps is turned off by default. Maybe that's the case in iOS.
No dice, but a good suggestion.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #205
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Despite many claiming to be holding off on upgrading to iOS6 because of the mapping issues, the release of Google Maps has only increased iOS6 adoption 0.17% (from 72.77% to only 72.94%). As the article states, could have also been because people knew Google Maps was coming, but I'm still surprised by those numbers.

http://www.cultofmac.com/206196/goog...at-all-report/
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #206
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I tried the new Google app for driving for the first time yesterday. I have my phone set up for Bluetooth in my car. The Google app actually took over my radio and the voice prompts came through the radio. This doesn't happen with Apple maps or with Waze. Actually, I found it quite annoying. I would prefer the sound just goes through the phone speaker and not cut out my radio. There might be a setting for me to change this, but I haven't looked for it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Despite many claiming to be holding off on upgrading to iOS6 because of the mapping issues, the release of Google Maps has only increased iOS6 adoption 0.17% (from 72.77% to only 72.94%). As the article states, could have also been because people knew Google Maps was coming, but I'm still surprised by those numbers.

http://www.cultofmac.com/206196/goog...at-all-report/
Although I am sure there were people holding out on the update because of the change to maps, I just can't seeing it being a meaningful number I would guess no more than 1-2% of users. I would wager that a large number of iOS users fall into one of two categories: automatically update whenever prompted or pretty much never update (generally those who don't connect it to iTunes often).

The Apple maps app definitely has its deficiencies, but I doubt that there are many people that would hold off upgrading given that the Google web app was decent. I personally found the combination of these two better than the old Google map app. And now that Google has an app again, that is even more true.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #207
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfrogger View Post
I tried the new Google app for driving for the first time yesterday. I have my phone set up for Bluetooth in my car. The Google app actually took over my radio and the voice prompts came through the radio. This doesn't happen with Apple maps or with Waze. Actually, I found it quite annoying. I would prefer the sound just goes through the phone speaker and not cut out my radio. There might be a setting for me to change this, but I haven't looked for it yet.
I noticed this difference too. Google Maps sends the directions to my bluetooth device attached to my sunvisor. A matter of preference, I suppose. The problem is that the Bluetooth device's software got it to say "end of call" after every time google maps spoke. I think I'd rather just get the directions from the phone's speaker.

Again, am I missing something on why Google Maps is so much better than Apple maps? Apple maps has contacts integration, and Siri integration, and both of those are essential, IMO. I can press one button on my bluetooth device and get the phone to give me directions in Apple Maps, through Siri. If I wanted to use google maps, I could open the app with siri, but then I'd have to look at the phone to find the little voice entry button, speak, and then press the phone again. In other words, you can't really use Google maps handsfree.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #208
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
In other words, you can't really use Google maps handsfree.
Could you in iOS 5? I don't know- I went from iOS 4 on my 3GS to my iPhone 5.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #209
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Could you in iOS 5? I don't know- I went from iOS 4 on my 3GS to my iPhone 5.
I don't know how Siri integrated before iOS 6, as my phone was just an iPhone4, and thus didn't have siri.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #210
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Google Maps downloaded over ten million times in the first two days for iOS. That number doesn't include iPads because It's not out for the Apple tablet yet.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #211
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know how Siri integrated before iOS 6, as my phone was just an iPhone4, and thus didn't have siri.
Siri didn't have location data in Canada in iOS 5, so you couldn't ask it to take you anywhere.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #212
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfrogger View Post
Apple maps does this through the bluetooth in my car. I love it. I hate looking at my phone when I'm driving but previously I would have to glance down to see where I was on the map. Now I get turn by turn directions over the speakers and I don't have to worry about being distracted at all. I haven't had a single issue with Apple maps yet either so I'm defintely enjoying the new integration into IOS6.
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #213
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Again, am I missing something on why Google Maps is so much better than Apple maps? Apple maps has contacts integration, and Siri integration, and both of those are essential, IMO. I can press one button on my bluetooth device and get the phone to give me directions in Apple Maps, through Siri.
Further to this, I find the Siri integration really slick. Just to try it out, I searched for a restaurant that I was going to for lunch. It found it quite easily. I noticed that Siri was using Yelp to find the place. I think the results are more accurate than searching for something within the maps app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyformayor View Post
Apple maps does this through the bluetooth in my car. I love it. I hate looking at my phone when I'm driving but previously I would have to glance down to see where I was on the map. Now I get turn by turn directions over the speakers and I don't have to worry about being distracted at all. I haven't had a single issue with Apple maps yet either so I'm defintely enjoying the new integration into IOS6.
I like the audio turn by turn directions, but I prefer it coming out of the phone speaker rather than overriding my radio. This alone makes me prefer Apple maps for now, especially since discovering that Siri works well for searching businesses that would be on Yelp.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #214
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used turn-by-turn this weekend and found it great on Google Maps. I am glad it came over my stereo speakers when hooked up with the AUX on my car, otherwise I wouldn't have heard the directions. I was highway driving, so it's not like I was being interrupted very often at all.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #215
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Incredibly impressed by the google maps app. Navigation has worked flawlessly thus far. And I agree, the voice is much better than Siri.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #216
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any idea when this is going to be available for the iPad?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #217
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Any idea when this is going to be available for the iPad?
Today.