Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #21
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is legitimately setting up to be like the last Penguins game with Smith getting pulled because he can't handle the consecutive starts of a starters job and Rittich coming in cold without having being given the opportunity to come into his own again because the Flames are sticklers for their greybeard goalies.

On the flip side, a proper ass kicking (or handling?) could spark them to another 3 months of amazing hockey.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
This team’s baffling loyalty to Smith will be their downfall.
It's not baffling at all. It's called asset management. They have been managing both Rittich and Smith all season long and have adjusted based on play.

Put aside your hate for Smith. Based on the games played since the All Star break, Smith has been the better goalie.

Rittich is falling into the same thing he did last year, though not as extreme. Flames are trying to take the pressure off him. His best play has been when his role as a starter has been in question. Maybe this will help him refocus or loosen up.

Smith is a safety net, there is no question about it. I see Smith playing in this stretch more as managing Rittich then the Flames thinking Smith is the number 1 again.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #23
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
It seems pretty justified to me.

Rittich has been struggling of late and Smith was great yesterday. Might send a bad message to the team if Smith didn't get the start.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #24
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are the chances that Smith gets lit up again…
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #25
dangler22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Lou on 960 suggesting the Flames should go back to Smith. Said the Flames brass liked his game a lot. Boy I would caution against that. Yes Smith had a good game but how often has he played a good one and then came back the next game with a let down. Save Smith for Monday.
Lou is a moron.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
dangler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dangler22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #26
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
We need Rittich to get going.

We need Smith to play like he did last night about 6 more times this year.
If Rittich is struggling, Smith needs to play well; he is definitely playing more than six games between now and April.

The last time Smith started two-in-a-row was on 6 and 8 December, after Rittich allowed 3 goals on 14 shots in Columbus. He won both those games: first shutting out Minnesota and beating Nashville. After that was the infamous Philly game in which Rittich came back in the third to replace Smith, who struggled. After that game Rittich got four straight starts and sported a 2-1-1 record, a 2.22 GAA and a 0.929 SP.

Sometimes, a young goalie needs to reset. If he is struggling with the pressure right now like it looks as he could be it is not a bad idea to give him a couple games to focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #27
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone290 View Post
What are the chances that Smith gets lit up again…
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #28
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
If Rittich is struggling, Smith needs to play well; he is definitely playing more than six games between now and April.

The last time Smith started two-in-a-row was on 6 and 8 December, after Rittich allowed 3 goals on 14 shots in Columbus. He won both those games: first shutting out Minnesota and beating Nashville. After that was the infamous Philly game in which Rittich came back in the third to replace Smith, who struggled. After that game Rittich got four straight starts and sported a 2-1-1 record, a 2.22 GAA and a 0.929 SP.

Sometimes, a young goalie needs to reset. If he is struggling with the pressure right now like it looks as he could be it is not a bad idea to give him a couple games to focus.
Smith started b2b against Detroit & Boston in January. Didn't go well in Boston. But that's beside the point. I get what you and Otto are saying. I'm not against Smith starting ultimately. I want the team to win and last night was a game they looked good in. A team ready to break the slump. I just want to see Rittich play more to get that groove back too.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of you really need to chill out about the Flames goalie decision with regards to the current tandem. Flames know that Rittich is the long term asset.

The Flames are managing Rittich for the long term. They are still trying to develop him, it's a long term plan.

I am pretty sure that Mike Smith will not be back in Calgary next year, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to play him. They will try and squeeze every last win or good game out of him.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #30
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I sincerely hope Smith can re-gain #1 form in the next 2 months, As shaky as he's been he's proven and I'd rather he steal back the net than have to put it all on Rittich's shoulders
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
This is legitimately setting up to be like the last Penguins game with Smith getting pulled because he can't handle the consecutive starts of a starters job and Rittich coming in cold without having being given the opportunity to come into his own again because the Flames are sticklers for their greybeard goalies...
Good lord. This is NOT what happened.

Leading up to the Pittsburgh game:

19 Oct: Smith start v. Nashville, 5-3 L
21 Oct: Rittich start @ NYR, 4-1 W
23 Oct: Rittich start @ Montreal, 3-2 L
25 Oct: Smith start v. Pittsburgh, 9-1 L

Quote:
Old 02-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #32
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Smith started b2b against Detroit & Boston in January. Didn't go well in Boston. But that's beside the point. I get what you and Otto are saying. I'm not against Smith starting ultimately. I want the team to win and last night was a game they looked good in. A team ready to break the slump. I just want to see Rittich play more to get that groove back too.
EVERYONE wants this to happen. It's just a silly thing to complain about given the current circumstances.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #33
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bracing for a beatdown tomorrow. Afternoon game against the Pens with Smith in the net. Could get ugly pretty quick for the Flames. Oh well, at least it will still only count as one loss.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #34
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Far less concerned about goalies here. Smith had a good game, fine, let him start.

How about others that haven't had a good game lately? Any changes in lines? Yes Neal is out. Can we sit a couple other guys? Czarnik in for a game I think should happen. Move Tkchuk down a line (or sit him) for a game and see what happens next.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #35
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why Smith is being singled out for the Pittsburgh loss early. The entire team crapped the bed. IIRC Pitts had close to double digit odd man rushes or breakaways. It was a a complete failure at the sport of hockey that did them in, not a single player.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #36
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I don't know why Smith is being singled out for the Pittsburgh loss early. The entire team crapped the bed. IIRC Pitts had close to double digit odd man rushes or breakaways. It was a a complete failure at the sport of hockey that did them in, not a single player.
Yeah, and people seem to forget that that loss was coming from a mile away. The Flames had awful games in Manhattan and in Montreal just before the Pittsburgh home game.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #37
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangler22 View Post
Lou is a moron.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #38
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they started Rittich tomorrow it would be baffling loyalty to Rittich. Rittich has struggled recently, Smith played well, why not go to Smith? Rittich isn't Price or Kipper yet. He's on year one (hopefully) of him proving he's true top #1 caliber goalie. Why are people so insistent on him getting treated like he's an established elite goalie? I'm also baffled by why people think Rittich's confidence could so easily be destroyed by not getting the starters net each and every night.

I actually think Rittich is going to be our number one and I have faith in him, but if what's going on right now is rattling him..............then he's not the goalie we looking for. The Flames are doing exactly what they should be doing in net considering what they have for a goalie tandem. People are being far too down on Smith's more recent performances, and people are giving way too much leeway to Rittich based on his recent outings, and way too worried about mentally destroying him because apparently he's fragile.............(which I doubt he is)
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #39
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich has had three sub par games in a row...pretty hard to get too bent outta shape
Old 02-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #40
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Smith earned another game.

I expect tomorrow is not a great performance. Afternoon game against a struggling pens team? Tough start.

Keep the heat off rittich, give him the softies on the schedule from here on out.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote