Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default Ft. Mac minor hockey team forfeits season...because adults suck

Quote:
Last month, a video uploaded to Snapchat showed a boy from the Fort McMurray Midget “A” Junior Oil Barons banging a hockey stick against the lid of a garbage can like a drum. As music from the Indigenous electronic group A Tribe Called Red plays, two other players can be seen dancing while the rest of the team shouts and laughs.

The locker room incident went viral after it was uploaded to Facebook. The social media backlash that followed saw commenters accusing the boys of mocking Indigenous culture. Many comments included hopes the boys would die in a traffic accident, specifically mentioning the Humboldt Broncos’ team bus crash.

As it turned out, the boys involved were Indigenous, with at least one player a member of the Fort McKay Métis.
Just unreal.

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...c-963a0f808da7
Old 02-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hoped I was not going to dislike 2019 as much as I did 2018, but that hope just dwindled quite a bit.

Preventing anonymous posting to social media seems to be all that would prevent disgusting stories like this...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The SJW creedo - "I am really upset about a video that I have no understanding or context knowlege, and my feelings are important and people need to listen to me as I rage about it from behind a anonymous mask"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
One of many reasons why social media is garbage. It gives any person the power to say horrible things behind a screen.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
Knut

Exp:

Probably a bunch of white college students that were outraged too.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

So the biggest issue as I read it is that the hockey association posted an apology on the assumption that people were going to be offended, and that's what offended the other side?

Don't get me wrong, the association jumped the gun and was clearly in the wrong, but I guess that's what you get these days. Everything offends somebody. Sad.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
So the biggest issue as I read it is that the hockey association posted an apology on the assumption that people were going to be offended, and that's what offended the other side?

Don't get me wrong, the association jumped the gun and was clearly in the wrong, but I guess that's what you get these days. Everything offends somebody. Sad.
The issue is that the FMMHA posted an apology that threw the team under the bus without having the slightest clue what the facts were. Which only confirmed for the easily offended that there was something to be offended about. That, in turn, ramped up the vitriol and created an unsafe situation for the players.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just another reason to be thankful that social media wasn't around when I was a kid.

Keyboard warriors strike again
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I really hoped I was not going to dislike 2019 as much as I did 2018, but that hope just dwindled quite a bit.

Preventing anonymous posting to social media seems to be all that would prevent disgusting stories like this...
This seems so pie in the sky, but man would I love to see something like this.

Very real and personal accountability for users across all platforms.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a bunch of 15 year olds getting excited for a game while embracing a culture of other teammates is something someone decided to get outraged about.

Now they ruined their season, probably the kids confidence in celebrating their heritage as well.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #11
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horrible.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

Quite the opposite. Just makes it far easier for harassers and stalkers to target people IRL.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #13
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is why social media ultimately failed at what it was trying to accomplish originally - making people feel more connected.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #14
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Never apologize to those maggots, it lets them know it's time to go in for the kill.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #15
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

I think it just takes a platform wanting to change the conversation happening amongst it's users, and a willingness to moderate it to fix that. I think a platform like that would do well to draw in people like myself that are sick and tired of the hate and vitriol that pops up everywhere.

I hope we're not far off, as the tone of every platform is pretty gross and I'm sure they're not thrilled either (besides the tons of money millions of anonymous people bring them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Quite the opposite. Just makes it far easier for harassers and stalkers to target people IRL.
I would hope that a better way to think of social media would make it more difficult for your average user to track people down as well.

Today's social media blasts all our private info to the world while at the same time allowing people to anonymously say the worst things imaginable. Where someone can anonymously find out where you live, work, and socialize... but also can say things without a trace that would end up in a lawsuit, it's broken.

I could see a verified account, focused on privacy being a solution here. When we get to the point that 'User-X' can be charged with harassment, I think we'll see a much different world. But it doesn't mean that everyone has access to 'User-X's' info - just info that's available and verified if something needs to be done with it.

I can dream...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #16
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
From the top of the heap to the bottom of the pit, the more people using social media in a restrained and thoughtful way the better.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #17
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The social media backlash that followed saw commenters accusing the boys of mocking Indigenous culture. Many comments included hopes the boys would die in a traffic accident, specifically mentioning the Humboldt Broncos’ team bus crash.
The most screwed up thing about this is the people doing the shaming felt like really good people when they did it. Defenders of the oppressed. Heroes.

When did we decide it was okay to hate in the name of compassion?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #18
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The most screwed up thing about this is the people doing the shaming felt like really good people when they did it. Defenders of the oppressed. Heroes.

When did we decide it was okay to hate in the name of compassion?
Didn't you know it's alright to punch Nazi's.

And by Nazi's, I mean anyone that disagrees with me.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #19
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Obvious absurdity of the whole thing aside, when did doing anything related to another culture become a terrible thing? I’m not an electronic fan, but I’ve rocked out pretty hard to Bread and Butter before. I’ve also danced a tango, rapped some lines, tried to learn a raga, and enjoy eastern European folk music.
The world really and truly is full of absolute idiots.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #20
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
So a bunch of 15 year olds getting excited for a game while embracing a culture of other teammates is something someone decided to get outraged about.

Now they ruined their season, probably the kids confidence in celebrating their heritage as well.
Not saying this is the case, but I've met a lot of natives who denigrate, mock and make racially charged comments about their own people.

In a place like northern rural Alberta where prejudice against natives is very much out in the open and widespread this might be a coping mechanism for natives to try and fit into the dominant culture.

Or it could just be some kids having fun.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 02-15-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote