Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's all good as long as people aren't doing silly things like threatening players, saying personal things about players, fighting with others over the internet, etc. I didn't particularly care for how some fans and Francis were questioning the desire of Monahan, Gaudreau, etc at the end of last season. I don't think anyone outside of a locker room can truly question the desire of a player unless there's ample evidence of them quitting during games.

I would be lying if I said it doesn't affect my mood after a Flames, Stamps, or Raiders (I should be numb by now), etc loss but at least in hockey you only have a few days between a loss and the next game so you don't have to wallow in the misery that long. That said I never have a doghouse for a personal whipping boy so I have less to vent about with the losses or wins for that matter as in team sports most of the you win and lose as a team. I've been worried about Smith since last season so for me it's not that he's my whipping boy because I would be legitimately happy to see him succeed but when a guy is struggling badly and it's clearly having an effect in the outcome of games it's hard not to show displeasure on a message board.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:30 PM   #22
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The Flames to me are like the stock market. If the team is well managed and diversified in it's talent it should be able to survive the individual ups and downs in a season and finish overall on a positive note.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #23
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven;6933116[B
]If you DON'T get an emotional response, not sure why you would even watch[/B].

I read something to the same idea, why we should call teams, them or they not ours or us etc.
If you're self aware enough, you know when your mind is being played or influenced, you then have a choice.
On the topic of sports teams, I came to the realization that its pointless to attempt to stop myself from feeling because it has a positive impact. The negative side is so minuscule it's a worthwhile mental investment.

Obviously, this has it's applicable situations and scenarios where we close ourselves off or choose not to feel, but when it is harmless, why put fourth an effort, why give a #### what people think. Yes I have an emotional connection with the Flames, I have a better day when they win, I get upset when they lose, but that does not change me so much that it will carry on or linger. Nor will it change the way I treat people throughout the day. If I didn't invest my emotions into the teams that I love, I wouldn't watch. I'm a highly competitive person and that bleeds into everything I do or watch. I want them to win. I care. If this is being immature then I will never grow up. If you think you're mature because you don't get invested, pat yourself on the back for me. I personally think growing up is the worst choice anyone can make. Assuming you're responsible and successful lol.
Makes lots of sense to me and I think it is part of human nature. Personally, I want to be emotionally invested in the Flames.

We tend to ignore stuff that bores us - for instance, golf for me - and we tend to get involved in some capacity in something that gives us pleasure or a thrill. I see nothing wrong with that.

The danger is when you go overboard with a loss or when you can't let a loss go and get on with the rest of your day or your life.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #24
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I am curious, if we took out the most negative posters this season, how many of them are older than 21 years of age?
Old 01-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #25
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I am curious, if we took out the most negative posters this season, how many of them are older than 21 years of age?
not sure where you're getting at here

from my experience, it's been the older crowd who's typically negative
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #26
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Really? My experience is the opposite, the younger you are, the more you get upset with the trivial things during the sports season...
Old 01-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #27
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Really? My experience is the opposite, the younger you are, the more you get upset with the trivial things during the sports season...
There's so much out there in terms of entertainment. Smart phones and social media has made it possible and easier to jump in. Younger fans dont usually have the patience as they just turn their attention to other things that's happier and positive.

It's the older fans that stick around and make such negative noise
Old 01-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #28
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've outsourced 30% of my emotions to India.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #29
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I've outsourced 30% of my emotions to India.
At a fraction of the cost.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #30
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
There's so much out there in terms of entertainment. Smart phones and social media has made it possible and easier to jump in. Younger fans dont usually have the patience as they just turn their attention to other things that's happier and positive.

It's the older fans that stick around and make such negative noise
I would guess its the younger fans who are most vocal in their negativity though.
We all know the posters who post the same negative opinion every game and in every thread.

It's funny how you develop a perception of age on certain posters but you actually have no idea if its accurate.
Would be interesting to know, but my money is on them being pretty young.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #31
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Can confirm, you're probably right. I'm frequently guilty of this, perhaps too much. But it's all because I care, at the end of the day.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #32
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I would guess its the younger fans who are most vocal in their negativity though.
We all know the posters who post the same negative opinion every game and in every thread.

It's funny how you develop a perception of age on certain posters but you actually have no idea if its accurate.
Would be interesting to know, but my money is on them being pretty young.
I could say the same thing about your perception. Have you met the posters personally? Are you only basing it on posters on this messageboard? If you didnt know, theres plenty of other mediums out there where flames fans lurk online

Mine is based on comments from fans in attendance and watching in bars. I hear those constant negativity from certain age groups

either way, it's still a small percentage
Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #33
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There's a way to be unhappy about a loss and still keep in mind its still a child's game played for fun. Be invested, just don't go all in. Don't sit in front of a keyboard and wind yourself up tighter and tighter. Life isn't meant to be lived that way.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 08:14 PM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree. I feel I have mellowed out a lot as I have got older.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #35
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
I'm paraphrasing a bit, but this was advice I (and others) heard yesterday. In that context, it was regarding the stock market, and the advice continued on that you're hurting yourself by checking your stocks every day. The market is an emotional thing, and it's up and down all the time.

So it is with being a hockey fan it seems We love our team, and we ride the roller coaster of emotions during a game, during a road trip, during a season. I'm guilty as well, especially in the past, but try to be healthy people, it's just a game.
It’s only game, why you heff to be mad?

Seriously though, I wonder sometimes how many people actually love this team, versus wanting this team to win every damn game. I try to be positive as a general rule, and sometimes I wonder about posters who spend disproportionately more time and energy on the negative stuff more than the positive (ie instead of celebrating a Flames win in a PGT, they’d rather crap on Neal or complain about Smith).

I get that a good vent can be cathartic, but let’s not take ourselves too seriously here. The sun will rise, there will be more games to be played, and Edmonton will always be no good.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #36
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Can confirm, you're probably right. I'm frequently guilty of this, perhaps too much. But it's all because I care, at the end of the day.
Sorry to call you out, but it’s not because you care. Lots of fans care and still don’t get engage in negativity.

“I care” or “I’m passionate” or any of the number of excuses people use to excuse negativity or some of the more unhealthy relationships people have with the game are just what makes you feel better about it.

And maybe some people are just wired that way. All or nothing, no scope. If I had to choose between a Scorp that engaged in some ridiculous negativity or a Scorp that didn’t, but also didn’t invest the positives and the great insight and posts that you do, I’d choose the former for sure.

But don’t fall into the trap that is disguising anger as care. I’ve spent a lot of time with fans of some absolutely miserable teams (Oakland has its share) and there is still positivity and fun. They love the sport, they enjoy going to games even if it means watching their team get pummelled night in and night out, because while the result sucks, sport is awesome entertainment, and I think a lot of people forget that. My uncle is one of “those” fans who loves the wins but always has something negative to say. It’s just not much fun watching games or talking hockey with him. He’s a “huge fan” but I have a lot more respect for the people that don’t take it for granted and appreciate Flames hockey even if isn’t perfect.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #37
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Pepsi -- again, you're probably right about what you've said there. I also don't think I get overly angry about the team -- only when I think things are going poorly in a glaringly obvious or egregious way. I think my worst quality is that I'm sometimes too quick to react in a knee-jerk fashion when something's gone badly, and I'm really trying to combat that.

That being said, Pepsi, I hope you don't hold any illusions that I don't have any fun watching and talking about this game, because it's one of the best parts of my day. I appreciate it very much and it's why, when the games are of poor quality, I sometimes get disappointed because I know the joy that hockey is capable of bringing.

I'm sitting on my couch right now watching the Knights and Ducks, and I'm having a hell of a time watching the game because it's just so damn fun. It was the same with the Wings/Preds game on before. I can watch any hockey and it's a highlight of my day. With the Flames -- it adds another element sometimes, though. I've watched this team since I was seven. I still have a kid-sized Todd Bertuzzi t-shirt somewhere. It's been a huge part of my life, and I've seen lots of good. So watching the team during the bad can be like seeing a piece of what I've watched for all these years, that's become such a huge part of my life, fall ever-so-slightly apart.

And maybe I'm just not cynical enough -- maybe I haven't seen enough. I'll say that I'm nowhere near as heated after games as I used to be when I was fourteen or fifteen, and I imagine that'll continue. I didn't mean to simplify what I meant to say down to "I care," because I know that it's a cliché -- but honestly, it's true, wording aside.

Also, I'm glad that you like some of my posts. Thanks, and likewise.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: