Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #21
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
They should have moved him to the wing!
I posted this thread out of fun, and also to see if anyone could think of any examples of whether the NHL would allow a team to protect a dual position guy as a F instead of D.

Of course all of this presupposes that Gio remains a stud until age 38 and there isn't a spot opened in the D pairings for kylington.

otherwise we will have to send him down if all d-men are healthy, and I don't think that is ideal either
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #22
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I posted this thread out of fun, and also to see if anyone could think of any examples of whether the NHL would allow a team to protect a dual position guy as a F instead of D.
IIRC, the NHL lists a player at a certain position, and that is where they slot on the draft. The Flames would have to legitimately convert Kylington to wing for this to work.

Quote:
Of course all of this presupposes that Gio remains a stud until age 38 and there isn't a spot opened in the D pairings for kylington.
I can't see any way the Flames protect Gio over the three kids in two years.

Quote:
otherwise we will have to send him down if all d-men are healthy, and I don't think that is ideal either
True, but that's a good problem to have. Kylington can get big minutes in Stockton, then come up as the 7th/8th defenceman for the late season run. And depending on how confident you are in all three of them, it makes Brodie or Hamonic expendable.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #23
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't even Be a GM at this point. It's Hockey Ultimate Team.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #24
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
OP is thinking outside the box and that's not always horrible. Brent Burns has played both as has Fat Buff.

I've often times thought that Dougie would have made a great winger due to his defensive lapses and offensive instinct.

Kylington holds his own defensively, so there's no need to move him anywhere. Plus, getting a guy to learn a whole new position this late in his career is usually a fruitless endeavor.
Both players also played forward and were drafted as forwards out of junior, so it wasn't a big reach to bounce them back and forth once they learned finer details defensively. Going the other way is an entirely different beast and I honestly can't think of any defencemen who have ended up becoming productive as a forward.

A team that doesn't have much defensively in the pipeline now shouldn't be converting a player to a far less valuable bottom 6 forward position when he could end up in a highly valuable top 4 defenceman spot by then. It's a good problem to have.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 01-03-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #25
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
So, why did neither SJ nor Winnipeg think to protect either of these players as forwards?

I am guessing that this is just not a functional loophole.
Who says they didn't consider it and simply chose not to?

Still, it's probably correct that it's a loophole that the league has closed for the purposes of expansion drafts; or, if not, it's just not practical for teams to use it.

Regardless, I like the creative thinking.

Last edited by Spinach; 01-03-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #26
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he’s going to the Red Wings we’d better be getting Howard and something else.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #27
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary's defensive protection list come expansion will be Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson, and Kylington. That's the future core of our blueline, and it looks pretty damn good.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #28
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I often thought Bouwmeester could have done this, and the Flames used to move Paul Reinhart up to centre during the playoffs.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #29
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Calgary's defensive protection list come expansion will be Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson, and Kylington. That's the future core of our blueline, and it looks pretty damn good.
You can protect only three?

Unless you want to protect 8 skaters. Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk would be the forwards to round out that group. So would cost us Backlund.

Also Brodie's 28. I don't see a harm in re-signing him (or Hamonic) dependent on contracts. And in that case he could easily displace one of those guys on the list too.

I think we just got to be reasonable and assume we're losing a decent defender with potential. We got away with losing nothing last time, so it's not the most unfair thing in the world.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #30
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
A lot will depend how Andersson and Kylington develop in the next two seasons. I could see the Flames expose one of those two if either one plateaus in their development. Then they could protect 7F and 3D.

If they go with Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson, and Kylington then they could only protect 4 fowards (Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk and Lindholm). Leaving Bennett, Jankowski, Backlund and Dube exposed. Being able to protect Backlund, Bennett, Jankowski/Dube would be really nice.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #31
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Phaneuf played LW for a few shifts back in the day. Also, didnt Brent Burns do the same thing?

It's not as crazy as it sounds. Except that Kylington is probably too weak along the boards.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:38 PM   #32
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Byfuglien and Burns have. Fedorov played defense, wing and of course center. There's several examples of this, just not for the reason to protect a player in the expansion draft.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #33
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
You can protect only three?

Ah, that's right. I thought you could protect four and seven forwards. I suspect that the GM will make a deal to protect his hind quarters and our blueliners.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #34
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
They should have moved him to the wing!
Actually, funny enough, I recall the Red Deer Rebels playing Dumba at RW in 2010-11 playoffs for 1 period, anyway. (in the year before his draft eligible season, as a 16 yo).

Found a reference!
https://www.pressreader.com/canada/c...83137130302025
Old 01-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #35
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jamie Allison played both as well. Phil Housley suited up for some games as a center, but reportedly hated it.

It would probably just be easier to trade a defenseman for a forward, prospect, or pick of equal value before the expansion draft.

But like others have mentioned, it's too early to worry about. Definitely too early to invest the time and training that it would take to re-develop a promising defenseman to a new position.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:28 PM   #36
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Byfuglien and Burns have. Fedorov played defense, wing and of course center. There's several examples of this, just not for the reason to protect a player in the expansion draft.
Mathieu Dandenault. #neverforget
Old 01-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #37
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's also not forget the five defenseman powerplay Sutter utilized. All eligible for expansion draft protection as forwards because of it!
Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #38
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't see it asked as I read through this thread.

But doesn't a player need to play a certain amount of games slotted in a D or F position to be considered a D or F?
Old 01-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #39
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I remember back in the day, when Phil Housley was playing with Buffalo, he often played forward
Old 01-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #40
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Way way back in the day, Cliff Fletcher said he wanted to convert Paul Reinhart from D to wing, but the team was never deep enough on the blue line to do it. I think if anybody could have managed the transition smoothly, it was Rhino.

Really, I guess that's why it so rarely happens. A good defenceman is too valuable right where he is.